Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Can anybody recommend me any live albums from the 1970s? I have a good few of the obvious culprits (Live At Leeds, Double Live Gonzo!, Frampton Comes Alive!, Live Killers, Made In Japan, You Get What You Play For, Captured and so on) but I'm interested in more obscure examples.
UFO - Strangers in the Night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is broad and maybe fits better in the recommendations thread, but where do I start with electric blues? I like lots of bands/artists like the Black Keys, White Stripes, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, etc. that are heavily influenced by and frequently cover the blues. But I don't have any actual blues musicians (unless you count SRV). What are some essential artists/albums that I should check out? I know the three Kings are all important. Don't care if it's classic or contemporary. The more soloing the better. Studio albums preferred over compilations or live recordings.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

If you like the Black Keys, look in to Junior Kimbrough. He had the biggest influence on early Black Keys guitar work.

I like God Knows I Tried.
I do enjoy the Chulahoma EP and all of his albums appear to be highly rated. Added to my list.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks. I love Moore's work in Thin Lizzy and I've heard good things about Joe Bonamassa.

Also I forgot to mention Rory Gallagher in my original post in case anyone was going to recommend him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That should be more than enough to get started. Thanks everybody.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
*Kill Taker

Go for Repeater next.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When I think "funk metal" (which is a term that very rarely applies to actual metal at all) I think Primus, Faith No More and Infectious Grooves. None of them really have a lot of shredding. It's a style that's more conducive to good bass players than great guitar.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory are good starting points and should have a lot of familiar tunes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Blues For the Red Sun is the best combination of quality, accessibility and diversity for Kyuss. After that get Welcome to Sky Valley. If you like them a lot the other two aren't bad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In Absentia is probably the best starting point for PT.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pixies - Surfer Rosa and Nirvana - In Utero are big ones. Big Black is the only band of his that I've listened to but Atomizer is a pretty solid album. It's hard to find starting points for a producer so here's some other stuff of his that I like:

The Jesus Lizard - Goat; Liar
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.
Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike
Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

If you like metal at all, I recommend all of the Neurosis albums he's produced and High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Where does one start with "Into it Over It".

Also I really enjoyed Owen's "At Home With Owen" CD, but the rest of his catalog seems like a crapshoot.
Proper seems to be the most common starting point with Into It. Over It.

I've only heard Owen's newest album, L'ami de Peuple, but it's really good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well they only have two full-lengths, of which I think Perch Patchwork is slightly better. If you saw them years ago you might be better off with one of their EPs, when they were less poppy. Someone else can probably answer which of those is worth starting with.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MmmDonuts posted:

Thanks for the R.E.M. and Pixies recommendations.

Where do I start with Beastie Boys and King Crimson?

Paul's Boutique for the former, really depends on what you're looking for with the latter. Most people will tell you In the Court of the Crimson King, but I find that album highly overrated outside of 21st Century Schizoid Man. Red is great if you want pretty heavy prog. Larks' Tongues in Aspic is more experimental. Discipline has an almost New Wave vibe. All three are really good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Doolittle and Surfer Rosa.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Try some of these:

Riot - Thundersteel
Brocas Helm - Into Battle
Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Manilla Road - Open the Gates
Satan - Court in the Act
Mercyful Fate - Melissa

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Strangers in the Night contains his absolute best guitar playing, but for studio work you can do worse than just going chronologically from Phenomenon, which is when he joined.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mellon Collie is worth diving into even if you don't like the singles just because it's a huge and varied album. I do like Siamese Dream better but it's really solid.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

david_a posted:

Ok, you guys convinced me to add Mellon Collie to "buy if I find a super cheap used copy" :)
You could always stream it on Spotify or something like that, too. It's done wonders for my selectivity.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LordPants posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. 90s is fine with me.

In a similar vein, it became apparent that I've only heard Blackwater Park -> Deliverence/Damnation . Where do I start with Pre-Blackwater Park and post Damnation Opeth?

Still Life and either Ghost Reveries or Watershed, respectively. Really just going chronologically backwards from BP and forwards from Damnation will do you fine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Honestly, even if you don't like their softer stuff, Watershed is worth a listen if only for Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

How about Crowbar?

I started with Broken Glass. Seems as good a place as any, and it's still my favorite of theirs (having otherwise heard only Sonic Excess in its Purest Form and Sever the Wicked Hand).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A Night at the Opera is their best and has the most variety. After that either Queen II or Sheer Heart Attack.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm big on Live and Let Die.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I rarely recommend live albums, but Strangers in the Night gives a good overview of their peak and has some amazing guitar playing. But really, you can't go wrong with any of their Schenker-era albums. I personally like Force It the most.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All The Footprints You've Ever Left... is a good starting point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not a fogey at all and I like PHM. But The Downward Spiral is the definite way to go. Although, if you mostly know his soundtracks (I know nothing about How to Destroy Angels), you might want to look into his more recent discography too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vincent posted:

Here are a few that I have no idea where to start, so any help would be apreciated:

The Supremes
Miles Davis: I'm guessing Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew?
Fugazi

Miles has a whole bunch of different phases so it really depends on what you're looking for.
With Fugazi I second the suggestion of starting with 13 Songs and then probably going chronologically.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Demons and Wizards is the standard choice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Daydream Nation is their opus and one of their more accessible albums. It's probably the best one to determine if they're a band for you. Goo, Sister and Dirty are also pretty digestible and good albums (although Dirty has a big disparity between its best and worst tracks).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Where do I start with Neurosis and Dead Can Dance?
And I love In Flames but really have no experience beyond them when it comes to death metal. Who else should I check out? I'm more fond of the more melodic, less growly stuff.
For Neurosis, Souls at Zero and Through Silver and Blood.

For death metal, try some of these:
Carcass - Heartwork
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Death - Symbolic
In Mourning - Shrouded Divine
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Really? I thought black metal was all high-pitched scratchy vocals, basically the stuff that makes me hate music. Dimmu Borgir and all that.

My bad. This is why I stick to drone.

Usually, but vocals are like the last thing that you should be defining music genres by. Their are shrieky death metal vocalists and growly (or at least mid-range) black metal vocalists.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Blast Tyrant and Robot Hive/Exodus.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

I hear that jazz metal has been taking off lately. What's some good stuff to check out there?
I don't know about lately but the first Cynic album and first three Atheist albums are landmarks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Most people would probably say either Like Water For Chocolate or Resurrection for Common, but I think Be is his only really great album, in large part because of Kanye's production.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Where do I start with David Bowie?

Glam era: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Berlin trilogy: "Heroes"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Green is worth a shot if you really dig what you hear.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Also, this is one I'm pretty sketchy about, but I did like one song (FCP Remix) ...where would one start with The Fall of Troy?

e: also heard the original version of that song, FCPSITSGEPGEP, still good but not as good as the remix I think. Granted, it doesn't sound so much like a remix, more like a remake.

e2: lmao... does that really stand for "gently caress condoms, premarital sex is the poo poo, get 'er pregnant get 'er pregnant" ?

Doppelganger. After that, the s/t, though the best songs on it were rerecorded for Doppelganger

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

dooinit posted:

Neil Young. I listened to some of Le Noise because of the way everyone seems to link him to bands like Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr., and I liked what I heard, but I also know that he's all over the place soundwise. What are the key points in his discography?

e: phone

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is the best mostly rocking album. After the Gold Rush is the best mostly soft album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Everyone here has good Neil Young opinions.

I think as long as you operate under the assumption that Neil Young is great, it's hard to have a bad Neil Young opinion.