Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've always had some what of an interest in experimental rock, but have no clue where to go. I've read that Fear Before is some what of an experimental rock band, but where to start and where to go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

HP Hovercraft posted:

Whaaaaaa...? Listen to CAN.

CAN? Explain please.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

I'm looking for some advice on Neil Young. I like Neil Young, but I don't know him well enough to know his different periods/styles/etc more than just that I've heard them over the years.

I own Harvest and After the Gold Rush, love both albums. However, besides those first four albums, where are other places to start, especially for something a little different than those early albums?

It might not be helpful, but I read a review once for Sonic Youth's Murray Street as being the album that showed Sonic Youth paying tribute to Neil Young. That would be an album or period of Neil Young that I would love to discover.

Tonight's The Night, as already mentioned, is possibly Neil's greatest album. However, one of his most over looked albums is Zuma, which is from his Crazy Horse period. This album has my favorite song, Cortes the Killer, which is an almost eight minute long trip leading to Cortes coming across the water and ruining the lives of the Aztecs. Also, if you can go out and find the Archives Vol. 1. It's worth the money, mainly because it's spanning the first few years of his career and you get some recordings that haven't been released the the general public.

EDIT: I've been listening heavily to Surf Blood for the past few months, however I am having a hard time finding something that sounds similar to them. Does anyone know of anyone who sounds close to them or at least fits that same indie/surf rock sound?

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 28, 2010

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've been listening heavily to Surf Blood for the past few months, however I am having a hard time finding something that sounds similar to them. Does anyone know of anyone who sounds close to them or at least fits that same indie/surf rock sound?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

CorkyPorky posted:

I'd say Vheissu. It's their best album, in my opinion, and it's really the point in their career when they started experimenting with their music. Their earlier stuff (Identity Crisis, The Illusion of Safety, The Artist in the Ambulance) is decent, but you might find the songs to be too samey. I would work my way from Vheissu onwards, and if you like what you've heard, come back to the earlier stuff.

I've seen some people who didn't really like the direction they took starting with Vheissu. The Alchemy Index has 4 volumes and they're alright, they have some really good songs (Like Daedalus). Their newest album Beggars I thought was decent, but I didn't listen to it extensively. And according to their Wikipedia article they're releasing a new album later on this year, so neat!

Hope this helps!

I was going to say The Artist in the Ambulance, mainly because it's was their mainstream debut and had three of their biggests hits on, All That's Left, The Artist in the Ambulance, and Stare at the Sun. Vheissu is a great album, but isn't really a good starting point, mainly because it's a very big depature that the band took from their post-hardcore sound. After Artist, I strongly suggest that you listen to the Alchemy Index. All three of the albums are great and show the progression of the band, which does show up on Vheissu, but is showcased better.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

krono64 posted:

Sorry if there's any repeats but after 46 pages...

I'm attending Bonnaroo this summer and several of the headliners are bands I've heretofore never had any interest in. Where would the goons recommend I start with
The Strokes
Widespread Panic
The Black Keys
The Arcade Fire
and of course Lil Wayne?

The Strokes I can honestly say go in order and start with Is This It?. It's pretty much a gateway for indie rock and everything that is associated with it. After that, move on to their other stuff.

The Black Keys early stuff is amazing and very lo-fi, DYI, type stuff. It's not for everyone, but you can surely find something you like in it. I suggest that you either Attack and Release, Magic Potion, and their newest Brothers.

The Arcade Fire is hard, because that all of their albums are so different. I'd say start with Funeral, then The Surburbs, and then Funeral.

Widespread Panic and Lil Wayne aren't my area of interest, so someone else might be able to answer that.

Anyone know where to start with mid 90s emo? I've been wanting to get into it for a while but have no clue where to start or even who to start with for that matter.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

screenwritersblues posted:

The Strokes I can honestly say go in order and start with Is This It?. It's pretty much a gateway for indie rock and everything that is associated with it. After that, move on to their other stuff.

The Black Keys early stuff is amazing and very lo-fi, DYI, type stuff. It's not for everyone, but you can surely find something you like in it. I suggest that you either Attack and Release, Magic Potion, and their newest Brothers.

The Arcade Fire is hard, because that all of their albums are so different. I'd say start with Funeral, then The Surburbs, and then Neon Bible.

Widespread Panic and Lil Wayne aren't my area of interest, so someone else might be able to answer that.

Anyone know where to start with mid 90s emo? I've been wanting to get into it for a while but have no clue where to start or even who to start with for that matter.

Yes I am in idiot who mistakenly type Funeral twice.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

the Bunt posted:

Murder by Death? (I like the song "You are the Last Dragon")

If you like You Are the Last Dragon, then start with Like the Exorcist, but More Breakdancing. It's the album that said track is on. It's their first album and it's good, but not great. Their best album is Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them. It's a border line concept album about a small town in Mexico fighting the devil who decides to have a war with them. Their next three albums aren't as good as the first two because of the fact that they tried to go away from what works and try something new.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm working on a mix of New York City based artist and want to include Patti Smith, but where do I start?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm a decent Bob Dylan fan, I have stuff like Planet Waves, Blood on the Tracks, a bunch of the bootleg series and a bunch of other albums from him. I want to get more, but have no clue which ones would be considered to be essential. I'm thinking that Blonde on Blonde is one of them, but what else is considered to be essential?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Auditore posted:

Rediscovered Dylan lately. I have Hard Rain, Together Through Life and a compilation. I like his story-telling songs like Hurricane and Tangled Up In Blue. Is Blud on the Tracks a good place to start?

Yes, Blood on the Tracks is a decent starting point for later Dylan and also for anyone who wants to get into Dylan. There are a lot songs on there at are basically stories and could be turned into stories easily. After that go where ever you feel that you should go. Early Dylan, Folkie Dylan that is, has a lot of great story telling songs. Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 have a lot stuff that your looking for if you want him to tell you stories. Planet Waves, which has my favorite tracks, Forever Young Continued and Wedding Song, is not bad either.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Not really a where do I start question, more like a where do I go next.

I have been into Tom Waits for a while now and already have Blue Valentine, Closing Time, Foreign Affairs, Heartattack and Vine, Nighthawks at the Diner and Swordfishtrombones. I enjoy them all, but I have no clue what to listen to next. What albums would be the best go get next?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

ProperCoochie posted:

Where do I start with Cold War Kids?

Start with Robbers and Cowards, their first major label release. It's got all kinds of good stuff on it, including the twitchy Hang Me Out to Dry. I personally feel that this album is a concept album, but no one realizes it mainly because of that the story isn't there right away (it's a story about recovering alcoholic who whats to make his family's life better after the hell that he put them through and does it by robbing the church collection basket and all the guilt he feels afterwards). Decent album and the single became my summer single of the year that it was released.

Loyalty to Loyalty isn't as good, but still a good album and Mine is Yours isn't good at all.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Abandoned Luncheonette.

Abandoned Luncheonette is probably my Hall & Oates album and has my two favorite songs on it, Las Vegas Turn Around (The Stewardess Song) and the title track. I would say start here and then go where ever, probably the very best of would be a good point to get into them, since it has all the good singles on it and the maybe Rock and Roll Soul Part 1 after that.

EDIT:

Speaking of where do I star withs, where do I start with Elvis Costello? I have the 2 disc very best of and that's about it. Should I go to his first album and then go forward or is there a certain album that I should start with?

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 20, 2012

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
For more modern surf rock, go for Best Coast's Crazy For You and Beach Fossils' Self Titled. You might like them, you might not, but they are part of the new movement of Surf Rock out there.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

boonsha posted:

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it.
Where do I go next with Neil Young? I have Harvest and Comes a Time and I love them both, but to say he has a lot of albums is an understatement. I know he starts playing electric guitar at some point, and I found an album of covers of 50's songs, but I don't know what's decent.
Thanks for your help!

Seriously and I'm not joking here, get volume 1 of the Archives. That is really the best place to start with Neil Young. It has everything from his early stuff with The Squires to Buffalo Springfield to his early solo stuff and some stuff with Crazy Horse. It's a pretty drat good starting point.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm really curious about The Desert Sessions. Where should I start with them if I want to get into them?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Where do I start with the Refused? I'm curious about them since they reformed and are such a big deal, so I want to hear what they sound like.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Where do i start with Dinosaur Jr.?

They are a band I've heard about for so many years, but never really listened to until quite recently.

I would say Without a Sound would be the best place to start. I could be wrong though. After that, work you way back and then go forward. If worst comes to worst, you could start from the beginning with Dinosaur and then work forward.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Fugazi?

I have 13 Songs and In on The Take Killer, but have no clue where to go from there.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

*Kill Taker

Go for Repeater next.

Yeah, I knew something didn't seem right. I'll go for it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Where do I start with Fleetwood Mac?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with Flying Lotus? I heard something by him recently and think that I can get into him.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Where do I start with Sia? I recently just back into pop and I actually dig her sound. Also Future too.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Siivola posted:

I've been listening to a bunch of old rock lately. Where do I start Rory Gallagher and Bruce Springsteen?

I'm a but late for the Springsteen answer, but there's my take.

Start with Born to Run and the go back to his first two albums, Greetings from Asbury Park and The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. There's some real gems on those two albums. After that revisit Born To Run and then go from there.

I would suggest stopping after Magic, because everything after that is kind of terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Taylor Swift

I've skimmed her wikipedia page, she's done a lot of different stuff, and had a big impact. I'm happy to pick 2 to span part of the range.

A bit late. Start with 1989 and then go anywhere. Folklore and Repetition are my personal favorites.