Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Finally have an occasion to use this thread, though I have two "where do I go from here?" type questions:

First, Iron Maiden has grown on me more recently and I have Number of the Beast and was planning on getting Piece of Mind as that has Trooper on it (I recently heard the song and liked it) but don't know which other albums in their large discography I should look at next.

Secondly, Riot. I have Fire Down Under but as that's considered to be their best album I'm kinda at a loss again here of what to get next/afraid I'm going to be disappointed in whatever I choose. Please guide me mighty music goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks for the answers everybody! The only problem is my record shop was quite picked over and didn't have much of 80s Iron Maiden but at least I know what to keep an eye out for/youtube later. On the upside there was a copy of Riot's Thundersteel, which was perfectly fine, though it's hard to top the excellent song that is Swords and Tequila. So unless any secret goon Riot fans come out of the woodwork I guess I'll try going back earlier to their first two albums?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Keret posted:

Bossa Nova?

The guy at the coffeeshop lent me an Antonio Carlos Jobim compilation and I'm a big fan of it, but prior to now my only real exposure to Bossa Nova has been Thievery Corporation's interpretations of it in their early stuff.

Can't help you but that won't stop me from posting a comedy answer anyways.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Speaking of prog rock, I'm kinda bouncing off of Yes, I think. I'm not really getting into their album Fragile, do I even try to continue with the random copy of 90125 I have or jump ship to another band, ie follow the Rush suggestions above?

I think the current score on my attempts at progressive rock bands are as follows:

Styx: Loved Pieces of Eight absolutely hated this best of album.

Gryphon: Disliked the first three albums.

Greenslade: Remember nothing except Feathered Friends being okay to good.

Asia: Don't remember much about their songs other than being disappointed.

Saga: They exist.

And, if early Queen albums count, loving that poo poo.

Maybe most progressive rock isn't for me???

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

You chose some off brand prog to dip your toes in.

poo poo, though I thought Yes at least was pretty mainstream in the genre? Probably should just go trawl the prog thread here after I put Fragile in the out stack.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm most of the way through Close to the Edge and I've alternated between being bored, annoyed, and straight up tuning it out as I browse the forums, so I guess that answers that, time to move on. Thank you noble music goons.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Toe Rag posted:

What music do you normally listen to? Close to the Edge rules. Is it too flamboyant, wanky, and/or drawn out? Prog is pretty broad, almost to the point of being an adjective. Maybe if you narrow in on your tastes, you can find some you like.

Mostly listen to electronic (lately early stuff from the 60s/70s) and rock with forays into heavy metal and more recently psychedelic/acid rock. I've been on a kick for most of this year to expand my horizons outside of chiptune and video game music by looking into popular bands that I've never really listened to or have only heard greatest hits of, so that's the reasoning behind the madness. Plus, I am sick of the same old OCRemix songs I've had on my electronic devices since literally 7th grade.

As for Close to the Edge the purposefully discordant intro was what first annoyed me, the rest reminded me of the awful Styx Best of album I posted about earlier. I think it's because it's softer/calmer 70s rock which I equate with being generic and easily ignorable, which is probably unfair to it on my part.

For what it's worth I had a friend link me to I've Seen all Good People which went down much better. I listened to a couple other tracks from The Yes Album and so far its been the one that I've liked the most. Has just enough of a hard edge to it in the hooks, and I don't notice the length of the songs as much.

Fake edit: I scrolled down and just noticed RC and Moon Pie got beaten to the punch by my friend with The Yes Album, this is what I get for taking forever to type and not refreshing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Fors Yard posted:

Tangerine Dream might be of interest (if that hasn't been covered already by your 60s/70s electronic). Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet and Stratosfear are them at their best (in my opinion). The albums before are a lot more experimental but any of those are good places to start.

No they haven't, thanks for this. Normally almost borderline too chill for me, but after the past couple of weeks I could probably use the relaxing music.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I forget how I first stumbled across Attila but it is now one of my favorites in all its organ crashing glory as well.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've been listening to Motorhead's Overkill album and loving it, where should I go next? Also semi related I love the poo poo out of Judas Priest's Firepower album from a couple years ago, yet when I had previously tried a great walloping big greatest hits cd before then all the songs blended together into one forgettable generic rock mess to me. Also I stumbled into a CD of Halford's side project band Fight, but the only song I remember from it is Immortal Sin. Should I continue on with Priest or quit while I'm ahead? Or wait and see what a possible future album is like?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you didn’t really like classic Priest you should still check out Painkiller, an insanely balls-out speed metal album that came out of nowhere as the band approached middle age. Though if you love Firepower it’s weird that a greatest hits didn’t do anything for you. Of their classic era I would go for Stained Class or Sad Wings of Destiny.

It was this cheap cash in greatest hits CD, the type you see in major retailers that still bother to carry CDs. Trying to plow through 34 tracks at once may not have been the smartest idea on my part, probably why they began to run together too much. But thank you all for the suggestions to chew on: I usually do better listening to original albums than greatest hits anyways. The only exception to this is Steppenwolf for some reason I haven't quite figured out.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What's are the better Dragonforce albums? Like the rest of the world I mostly only know that song from Guitar Hero 3 and I'd like to explore the back catalogue a bit, see if the other songs grab me.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Two silly questions:

I've listened to Manic Nirvana and Fate of Nations by Robert Plant and found them both... okay. Is there a definitive great solo album by him I should listen to or should I quit while I'm ahead?

Question two is Duran Duran. I've heard the A View to a Kill song a bunch and know everyone talks up Rio but I haven't gotten to it. Where should I go if I'm planning on learning/studying John Taylor's bass lines?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

It might be raising sand, if that counts. Otherwise, not really. There were good songs but no great albums.

Yeah I got that feeling when I set the player to random and a couple popped up again between other artists and I was all oh this one was one of the nicer ones, a bit overly long though. I'll give raising sand a shot though, thanks.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Henchman of Santa posted:

The movie sucks. The album is great when taken as a whole but large chunks of it don't work as individual tracks, unlike Quadrophenia which is almost all bangers.

Welp I must be missing something big because I have the exact opposite opinion when it comes to Tommy/Quadrophenia.

And I suspect it was a joke but goddamn guys don't threaten the man with Listzomania either. That'll just put him off life in general.

My bizarre opinions aside I'll second Meaty, Beaty, Big, and Bouncy. Also I don't know what concert it was, but there's a UK special edition CD of Who's Next with one on the second disc and it's pretty nice.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kvlt! posted:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?

Yeah you can pretty much pick anywhere because they have so much stuff and it is all over the map musically and you're gonna get similar wide ranging answers. I prefer their earlier garage rockish sound so it's Fishing for Fishies, Teenage Gizzard, and maybe Willoughby Beach for me. My friend is all about the Microtonal Flying Banana album and whatever one had some song having to do with robots. Nonagon Infinity is the album that got them some sort of award so maybe start there?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh hey yeah, Microtonal Flying Banana is great. Is that the album that Rattlesnake is on? Check out that music video, it’s campy as gently caress.

It is. It took me a long time to warm up to it as an album too. I'll check the video out sometime. I think the vague robot song I described is the only music vid I've seen of theirs and it was all red and white CG graphics. Hence why I don't know what album it's from, my friend linked me to it as it's one of her favorite songs once. Meanwhile, I'm probably one of the few that liked Quarters, even though the gimmick for that album is kinda dumb and doesn't always make for easy listening.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
On Motorhead I would also say Overkill as an album is a good place to start. It's where I got on board and still remains my favorite. I actually couldn't get much into Ace of Spades as an album for whatever reason.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
You know I was gonna pick up Running With Scissors just because seeing him in concert reminded me how much I listened to the Horoscope song in my youth, but yeah in 3D is the one I return to and remember the most of.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I still don't know what song I Lost on Jeopardy is parodying. I could google it myself but :effort:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Franchescanado posted:

Jeopardy by Greg Kihn

"Our love's in jeopardy,
Baby,
Ooooooo"

Thanks. It's the one song I think of when people talk about the parody outliving the original, which I've maybe heard once.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rageaholic posted:

I had never heard Michael Jackson's Beat It/Bad before Eat It/Fat, so those are the originals for me.

Every year on Christmas, I have to listen to The Night Santa Went Crazy. It doesn't feel like Christmas if I don't.

I heard Christmas at Ground Zero first soooooo thank god for that Dr Demento Christmas CD I guess?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ringo Starr's solo career? I've got Goodnight Vienna playing in the background atm, and is it worth it to continue?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Junpei posted:

is that the one with the "No No No Song" on it because that poo poo's hilarious

Yes, yes it is.

Tried Rotogravure next and I think I answered my own question, it sucked.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Looking over the credits for Goodnight Vienna on discogs and I forgot that all the songs are basically collabs. That funny No No Song? Written by Hoyt Axton. Now I'm questioning if it's even worth keeping the Ognir Rrats bootleg I have....

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

ultrafilter posted:

Did any of the former Beatles do anything worth listening to after they broke up? I've never really dug into any of it too much but I don't have good impressions from what I've heard.

I'm a freak who loves the last Wings album, Back to the Egg, and McCartney 2 and 3 but not 1. I think angry Paul = better music though but most of his output is very twee sentimental indie rock which I personally do not like. People love the hell out of Ram, which basically invented the genre iirc, but it's one of those that got reclaimed as good in recent years.

I had a Lennon CD (Ono Band?) once and remember nothing about it. And if you're a Harrison fan you already own the box set of All Things Must Pass.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 31, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

You should listen to it again, especially if you like angry Beatles. It’s a little corny sometimes but also pretty great

I'll have to youtube it, since I sold the disc to a shop years ago. The secret truth of asking about Ringo here was to get an extra push to get rid of the records of his I do have. I over bought when first getting back into music at the end of 2019, and my tastes have changed since then, especially since I took up an instrument too. I might keep the Ognir Rrats vinyl as it kinda goes with my Rutles stuff: both relate with the Beatles dealing with the break up of the band and the crazy crap they did afterward.

Next reassessment is The Who and the random solo career bits I have from that band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

bbobseq posted:

Looking for recs for 70's-80s British oi oi punk that is not racist.
please no clash, sex pistols, damned, etc.-looking for more obscure stuff.

Is G.B.H. racist? I know nothing about them other then they're an old british punk band, I have the album Midnight Madness, and that at some point the lead singer turned into a vampire (gots of gothic songs).

Probably barely fits the bill but my favorite punk band these days is The Chats, but again they're modern and Australian.