Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Auryn54 posted:

The other day I was listening to my recommendations station on last.fm and I heard some Yo La Tengo that I liked; where do I start with them?

Painful and I can Hear the Heart Beating as One. Painful is my favorite album by them, its fairly bleak with a lot of organ, but I love the overall mood and sound (Sudden Organ and Nowhere Near are two of my favorite Yo la Tengo songs). ICHTHBAO has more recognizable radio songs (Sugarcube, Autumn Sweater) and is more upbeat - most people usually list it as the best Yo la Tengo album.

They have other good albums, and some other lackluster albums (actually the Shaker EP is one of my favorites just for the Richard and Linda Thompson cover), but definitely start with those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I guess while not an official album, I think The Sounds of the Sounds of Silence is my fourth favorite Yo La Tengo album, after Painful, I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One, and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out (probably in that order).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

TheNintenGenius posted:

tl;dr - Go for Clouds Taste Metallic if you're into noisy rock/pop, Soft Bulletin if you're into more straightforward pop, then just explore the periods of the band's sound that you find the most interesting.

I'd say Transmissions from the Satellite Heart is the best entry for the noisy rock/pop side of things (not a knock on Clouds at all), but other than that, Ninten speaks the truth.

Also, if you start with Embryonic, whatever you think about it, I would still go back and check out some of their other stuff - then come back to Embryonic and hope and pray with us that this is just the start of their best phase yet!

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 11, 2010

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

ZakAce posted:

If anyone wants to get into latter-day Flaming Lips, be warned that At War With The Mystics and Embryonic sound terrible mixing-wise, especially the former. Heck, At War... was the catalyst for Nick Southall to write his Imperfect Sound Forever article. You can get them if you want, but be warned. There is *nothing* worse than buying an album and stopping halfway through because you got a crippling headache from the songs.

I'd agree with you for At War with the Mystics, but I've never really had a problem with the mix for Embryonic. I can see why you would talk about it's mix, and I can see that you might be right, but I just sort of felt the mixing of the album was an intentional part of the atmosphere of the album itself - it never bothered me, and having done some music production work in the past, I'm usually the first to bitch and moan about anything production side.

Edit:

shpladoinkle posted:

Embryonic kinda sounds like someone tried to genetically experiment on a chimaera and took the resulting grotesque beast, with all hes arms and legs everywhere, and rolled the tortured screaming thing down a hill made of timpanis

This is a perfect description of why I think Embryonic has become my favorite Flaming Lips album.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 11, 2010

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

The Viper posted:

Where would I start with Sonic Youth? I'm listening to Daydream Nation at the moment, and I'm still a little iffy. I haven't given it proper attention though.

I think most would say you started correctly with Daydream Nation. After that, I think there are multiple ways to go.

I'm fond of referring people to 2002(?)'s Murray Street as the second stop, especially if you want something "cleaner" sounding but still retaining the long, spacy song structure of some of the Daydream Nation songs. "Rain on Tin" is about as close to someone recapturing Television's "Marquee Moon" as I've heard, and really I don't know of any SY album that has a stronger opening three songs than Murray Street ("Karen Revisited," the fourth song, is one I love, but it will divide most fans). I think if you enjoyed "Candle" from Daydream, this is a good second choice. If you enjoy Murray Street, Sonic Nurse is fairly similar (and I think there is a decent debate as to which is a better album), and don't be afraid to go with Sonic Nurse if you can't find Murray Street.

If you liked the harder, more erratic songs, its hard not to say stepping back to Sister. However, considering you are on the fence about Daydream, I don't know if Sister is the proper next step. However, Dirty, despite being a very divisive album in their catalogue, might be another good place to go. It was their "grunge" album (according to critics), and has many shorter, harder rock songs. I think "Silver Rocket" or "Hey Joni" might be the best examples of what you will here on Dirty, although they are by no means perfect examples of Dirty. If you want to sample Dirty, I'd say "100%" or "Sugar Cane" are two of the better pick up and hear songs, while "Wish Fulfillment" is my favorite from that album.

A couple of my friends got into SY over the last couple years from their 2006(?) album Rather Ripped. Best description I can give is that it is like Daydream Nation made into shorter pop songs (at least as far as SY does pop songs). "Incinerate" was pretty big off that album, and would be a good sample if you want to hear something - "Do You Believe in Rapture" is also probably a decent song to sample. Rather Ripped also has "Pink Steam" which is my favorite SY song of the decade.

The truth is there are many places to go with SY - if you said your favorite songs off Daydream, it might give some help. Also, I think most people will say that SY albums grow on you, and take some time to get into, so if you are a little iffy, it might just take a little more time.

Hope that helps.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Farts Domino posted:

I agree with Voodoofly for the most part, but I'll add in that if you want creepy, EVOL is excellent. And leave Rather Ripped alone, if you really need a stripped down album Jet Set Thrash No Star will do but I'd also consider NOT BOTHERING WITH SY and go back to Japandroids or something. Rather Ripped is the beginning of their end.

Yeah, I'm not a huge Rather Ripped fan (absent Pink Steam, that song is perfect), but I've known a couple of people who used it as a gateway into SY. However, I will admit, I gained a ton of respect for both Rather Ripped and Eternal after seeing SY play a majority of those songs live - especially Eternal, which they played about 80% when I saw earlier this year. Something about those songs live just clicked.

I still don't really listen to those albums, but I respect them more.

I still say go with Murray Street after Daydream.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 9, 2010

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Red Rogue posted:

As somebody coming into new wave from the punk rock side of the equation, I've heard and enjoyed Devo, Talking Heads, and Cars. Where should I start with the Police?

As a caveat, I'm NOT a fan of the Police. My fiance is, and most of my friends are. As such, I've been slowly, steadily exposed to them over the years. I respect them, but I doubt my feelings for the band will ever go past respect. However, when I did start coming into the new wave bands back in college (not necessarily the Police then), I was also coming into new wave bands from more a less a punk side of the equation.

As such, while I can't disagree with Zenyattą Mondatta (and I'm assuming Rubber Biscuit has much more knowledge of the band than I do), if we are taking a car trip and my fiance wants to grab a Police album, I've always tried my best to make sure she grabs Reggatta de Blanc.

I know it isn't their most loved album, but I think it holds up best for someone like me who has little to no affection for the "fan favorite" songs (a definition based on the songs they played, and the reaction of the crowd, from one of their recent reunion shows).

Edit: I definitely agree with Rubber Biscuit, though, about not starting with Synchronicity.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 30, 2010

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I'm looking for some advice on Neil Young. I like Neil Young, but I don't know him well enough to know his different periods/styles/etc more than just that I've heard them over the years.

I own Harvest and After the Gold Rush, love both albums. However, besides those first four albums, where are other places to start, especially for something a little different than those early albums?

It might not be helpful, but I read a review once for Sonic Youth's Murray Street as being the album that showed Sonic Youth paying tribute to Neil Young. That would be an album or period of Neil Young that I would love to discover.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for all the Neil Young advice, will definitely start looking into some of those albums.

the Bunt posted:

oh, and Tom Waits?

I started with Rain Dogs. It is still my favorite album of his, and it is a pretty good barometer of whether you will like send-era Tom Waits.

I think this AV Club article offers a fairly decent justification for starting with Rain Dogs. I second that "Singapore," while not my favorite Waits song, is a perfect quick litmus test to see if you want to continue.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Saucy Tuna posted:

E: I'm also interested in getting into Victor Wooten. I'm kind of in bass-god mode right now.

I don't know his music well enough to say it is the best place to start, but I started with What Did He Say?, and I enjoyed it.

edit: on reflection, I think I enjoy a few of the songs quite a bit, and I can listen to him play bass on just about anything and be entertained, but the more I think about it I'm not sure how much I enjoy the album as a whole itself.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 20, 2011

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Gaggins posted:

Where do I start with Chromeo?

They only have three albums. Most people I know (myself included) think Fancy Footwork is their best album as a whole. If you can find the deluxe edition, the second disc will have some of the bigger songs (and remixes of those songs) from their first album.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Iron and Wine only has four albums, and all are pretty drat solid. They also progress. The first being just an acoustic four track recording, the second is still primarily acoustic but with a few more players and a studio to record in, the third starts pulling in some other sounds from the people he had been playing with on tour (piano, some horns, and experimenting with different musical styles), and the latest has (what sounds like) a full band including some nice horn sections doing in what I guess you would call his pop album.

I think the best bet is pick a song or two you like from him and start with that album. If you have never heard him, I'd say start with the second or third depending on your preference for predominantly acousitc guitar.

Someone else might have better advice, though.

Edit: I'd trust Ninten over me. I definitely don't have the most solid knowledge of him, and only know the four main albums (to varying degrees).

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 17, 2011

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

a kitten posted:

What's a good place to start with Husker Du and/or Bob Mould? I think I've liked everything I've heard by them over the years but, for whatever reason I never followed through and started buying albums. Maybe now's the time to fix that.

I don't know if it is the best place, but I was in a similar boat as you. I started with Zen Arcade and have no regrets. New Day Rising is where I would say to start if you hadn't heard anything at all, and is a great album as well, but if you already know some Husker Du I don't think Zen Arcade will scare you away.

I don't know his solo work that well, though, so nothing to recommend there.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 12, 2011

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

big business sloth posted:

For Husker Du, people will say Zen Arcade because it's widely seen as their best, but I would suggest that you start with New Day Rising (which immediately followed Zen Arcade) and then either go backward for more hardcore punk stuff or forward for more pre-alternative "college rock" or whatever, your preference.

Not sure about Bob's solo stuff though.

^^Haha, wow. We're good at this.

The funny thing is I pulled out Zen Arcade this weekend and listened to it straight through for the first time in a couple years. I'm going to use "Newest Industry" for a song of the day mailing list I send out a couple times a week, and the idea is that I try to approach each song as a blind introduction to a band.

I often also try to throw in a couple comments about the album (hence pulling out the album again). It was this most recent listen through that made me realize I was going to suggest people check out New Day Rising if they wanted to know more, and recommend Zen Arcade after that. I still love Zen Arcade, but it is not an easy listen (man I forgot that last track is like 14 minutes long).

Last Friday I would have said Zen Arcade as an introduction with zero hesitation, but after that listen through I realized Zen Arcade can be a harsh introduction if you know nothing about the band (especially if you are a bunch of 30-40 year olds who may have zero experience with hardcore punk).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Not only do you get 26 Otis songs (including all his best), but also Booker T. & the MGs, Sam & Dave, Carla Thomas, Mar-Keys, Bar-Kays, William Bell, Eddie Floyd, Albert King... it's an amazing collection. You can't go wrong.

Agreed. I also agree with Otis Blue if you just want Otis Redding (but somehow check out those other artists as well).

The Stax 50th Anniversary Celebration is also a decent introduction to Stax. It covers more artists (reaching into the 70s so you get the Staple Singers and Issac Hayes, among some other good stuff). It also only costs 16 bucks rather than 60-70. However, if you even halfway like Otis Redding and the Stax sound, go with the singles collection - it will be cheaper in the long run.

This DVD is also amazing. I put it on about once a month when I'm cleaning. You get to see Booker T & the MGs, The Mar-Keys, Arthur Conley, Eddie Floyd (whose rendition of "Raise Your Hand" is my favorite segment and one of my favorite live songs ever), Sam & Dave ("Now we are going to go backstage . . . and drink a big bottle of wine!"), and cap it off with Otis Redding, including what I think is 4 encore returns during Try a Little Tenderness (on the last one Booker is left standing by Al Jackson just to watch as he was leaving the stage). It is an amazing concert. I've used it many times to introduce people to some of the artists.

Edit: I'll also throw out that the Otis Redding concert from the Monterey Pop Festival is another absolute gem (it also sounds better than the Norway Concert, although doesn't have all of the other players). It is on the same Criterion DVD as the Jimi Hendrix concert (also legendary). You can often find just that dvd for sale, or you can go with the complete Monterey Pop Festival for the movie itself, the disc with Jimi and Otis, and then a third disc with extra songs not included in the movie. I wrote about it here if you want more.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 14, 2011

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

TadGhostal posted:

Where would I start with TV On The Radio? Is it as simple as just getting the first album?

I'd actually start with Return to Cookie Mountain, their second album. I love Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes, but it is much more raw, and probably a little more hit and miss in some of the experiments.

Dear Science, the third album, is also probably not a bad starting point either. I'm not going to debate whether it was a step in the wrong direction from the first two - some people really love it, some found it lackluster compared to the first two. All three of the albums are good, though, so I don't think you can really start out wrong with them.

I haven't really listened to the new album yet, so I can't comment on that one.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 2, 2011

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Gimme an underground rap primer: Where do I start with Del, Mos Def and MF DOOM/Madvillain?

In my opinion:

Del: Start with Deltron 3030. It is a classic album. I'm not going to debate whether it is better than Dr. Octagon (it is), but at the least Deltron 3030 is a great introduction to Del, Dan the Automator, Kid Koala, and basically a beta-version of the Gorillaz first album. After that, I would actually say Hieroglyphics - Third Eye Vision is the next best place with Del. He isn't on everything, but he is definitely the standout star. You could also go back to I Wish My Brother George Was Here, but that album is definitely more of the early 90s bomb-squad afrocentric style rap than the style Del would later embody. As for his later solo albums, I'll be honest and admit I never really got into them much (which doesn't mean they are bad, just that the couple of times I've heard them I wasn't feeling it/in the mood/whatever).

Mos Def: Really hard to go wrong with either Black Star or his first solo album Black on Both Sides. If you put a gun to my head, and said you were interested in Mos Def specifically, I'd say go with Black on Both Sides simply because you get more of a range of the styles Mos was experimenting with (for better and for worse). I consider both albums classics, though, so if you like Mos at all you will probably get both. After that, people are split on his second solo album (The New Danger). I think it has its moments, but it is definitely worth saving for the end of the journey. Stay the everloving gently caress away from his third solo abomination True Magic. Seriously, stay far, far away. However, The Ecstatic is a really strong album - perhaps his best top to bottom. It is also a great introduction to more modern hip hop trends, and to Madlib's production style as well (he is all over the album), which would fit into your third question.

MF Doom/Madvillain: You answered your own question, start with the Madvillain album. After that, I'll let someone else fill in. He has a huge catalog and I'm not the hugest MF Doom fan, so most of my favorite albums of his are with other producers (such as Madlib or Danger Mouse on The Mouse and the Mask). The first Victor Vaughn album is decent, and I know some people love it, but seriously start with Madvillain.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 12, 2011

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

LtTennisBall posted:

This might go along with Glass, but where do I start with ambient in general? I've been listening to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sountrack (I don't know if this is considered ambient or even good ambient) and have in particular fallen in love with piano based tracks such as this.

When I heard your link, the first modern band I thought of was Balmorhea. I'm not extremely familiar with them, but I did like their first self-titled album from a few years ago. Not sure if this would be a proper starting point, but I'm far from knowledgeable, or all that interested, in trying to define what is and is not ambient (or any other specific genre).

The first non-modern artist I thought of was Eric Satie (you will recognize this), who was definitely a major influence on the minimalists and, I assume, many ambient musicians. Everyone should start with Satie at some point, because Satie is awesome. You will hear traces of Satie in a plethora of music over the last 100+ years.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

safety dan posted:

Where do I start with Yo La Tengo? I saw them during the wheel spin tour and I ended up seeing a Dump set, which was good, but I think I want to start really getting into them. So where do I begin?

Here is my response from a couple of years ago:

Voodoofly posted:

Painful and I can Hear the Heart Beating as One. Painful is my favorite album by them, its fairly bleak with a lot of organ, but I love the overall mood and sound (Sudden Organ and Nowhere Near are two of my favorite Yo la Tengo songs). ICHTHBAO has more recognizable radio songs (Sugarcube, Autumn Sweater) and is more upbeat - most people usually list it as the best Yo la Tengo album.

They have other good albums, and some other lackluster albums (actually the Shaker EP is one of my favorites just for the Richard and Linda Thompson cover), but definitely start with those two.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Yoshifan823 posted:

Gonna go against the grain and recommend the London Sessions "live" album to start, or at least to hit up at some point. I like the sound of the live versions of all of the songs on the album better, there's a really awesome energy to all of them, and it's most of the biggest tracks from the three albums. From there just listen to the three albums, like milk teeth said.

I will agree with this if you are the type of person who really enjoys "live" music, and has perhaps made a statement such as "I don't like dance music because it isn't made with live instruments." I don't mean this as a negative statement, either. If this may be you, then the London Sessions are a great way to hear how tight the rhythm section is, and how well these songs can sound live.

However, if this isn't you, I have to agree with others and say start with Sounds of Silver. The songs might sound great live, but Murphy is a studio genius, and some of the magic of LCD Soundsystem is in the pitch-perfect production.

Compare Album to London Sessions.

Again, it is hard to go wrong with either of the three studio albums or London Sessions (stay away from the Nike one as a starting point).

Edit: In looking at the album list I see the London Sessions only has three songs from Sounds of Silver (and neither of my two personal favorites from that album). This would be another reason I recommend getting Sounds of Silver.

Edit2: vvvv Yeah, I should have clarified that I meant "stay away from the Nike album as a starting point."

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 11, 2012

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

The problem is that Bowie's mix isn't that great, either. Raw Power is, to me, one of the most disappointing records ever released, because while Iggy's attempt to rectify things sounds like you're listening to a blender on frappe, Bowie's original production is so thin and trebly that you could have the finest sound system known to man, with sensitive tweeters and woofers from floor to ceiling---you put on Raw Power and those woofers won't even twitch. There's nothing in the midrange, nothing in the bass. Bowie's mix is superior, yes, but I can't think of a way to save that record.

To quote Bowie:

quote:

..the most absurd situation I encountered when I was recording was the first time I worked with Iggy Pop. He wanted me to mix Raw Power, so he brought the 24-track tape in, and he put it up. He had the band on one track, lead guitar on another and him on a third. Out of 24 tracks there were just three tracks that were used. He said 'see what you can do with this'. I said, 'Jim, there's nothing to mix'. So we just pushed the vocal up and down a lot. On at least four or five songs that was the situation, including "Search and Destroy." That's got such a peculiar sound because all we did was occasionally bring the lead guitar up and take it out."

And Williamson:

quote:

I personally think [the remixed Raw Power] sucked. I gotta tell ya that I like the IDEA of what [Iggy] tried to do, and I talked to him about it, and there's a lot of factors involved, but at the time, none of us liked Bowie's mix, but given everything, Iggy, when he went in to mix it, he found out that the guy who had recorded it originally had not gotten a lot of level on certain things, like the bass and drums, especially the bass, so he didn't have a lot to work with. Then Iggy, on his mix, he left a bunch of guitar stuff on there that probably shouldn't have been left in, and just odds and ends. Bowie's not my favorite guy, but I have to say that overall, I think he did a pretty good job.

And Asheton:

quote:

Don Fleming goes, "You know what? When Iggy's Raw Power mix comes out, I'll bet you're gonna go -- we always used to say how bad the original David Bowie mix of Raw Power was -- Fleming's going, "When you hear Iggy's mix, I guarantee you're gonna say, 'Man, remember that great mix that David Bowie did?'" So I heard it, I got the advance copy from his manager, and listened to it. Then I called Fleming and I'm going, "Gee, Don, I just listened to Iggy's mix of Raw Power. Man, I sure loved that old David Bowie mix. Was it ever great."...Basically, all that Iggy did was take all the smoothness and all the effects off James [Williamson]'s guitar, so his leads sound really abrupt and stilty and almost clumsy, and he just put back every single grunt, groan, and word he ever said on the whole fuckin' soundtrack. He just totally restored everything that was cut out of him in the first mix, and I thought, drat, I really did like the old mix better.

The more I read it, the more shocked I am that Bowie's mix is even listenable, let alone still a great album.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 13, 2012

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

Where should I start with A Tribe Called Quest?

How about a primer to some other early 90's hip hop/rap? (I know that's pretty general)

Anthology is a good starting point, as was stated below. In the alternative, I really only listen to their first three albums anymore, and there is nothing wrong with going in order. I think you can debate whether People's Instinctive . . . or The Low End Theory is their best album, but really if you like Tribe you should have both, as well as Midnight Marauders.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

Midnight Marauders and Low End Theory are their best albums.

People's Instinctive... has a few good songs, but is way too immature lyrically and production-wise to hang with those two.

Those are my two favorites as well, but I was always under the impression that I had a minority view on tribes albums. Good to know midnight marauders gets more love.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

Mos Def? A Tribe Called Quest? Common?

Hey Sandwolf! Here is what I posted on Mos Def earlier in the thread.

Voodoofly posted:

In my opinion:

Mos Def: Really hard to go wrong with either Black Star or his first solo album Black on Both Sides. If you put a gun to my head, and said you were interested in Mos Def specifically, I'd say go with Black on Both Sides simply because you get more of a range of the styles Mos was experimenting with (for better and for worse). I consider both albums classics, though, so if you like Mos at all you will probably get both. After that, people are split on his second solo album (The New Danger). I think it has its moments, but it is definitely worth saving for the end of the journey. Stay the everloving gently caress away from his third solo abomination True Magic. Seriously, stay far, far away. However, The Ecstatic is a really strong album - perhaps his best top to bottom. It is also a great introduction to more modern hip hop trends, and to Madlib's production style as well (he is all over the album), which would fit into your third question.

For Tribe, I agree with Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders, and after those checking out their first album (People's instinctive . . . ) which still has some great songs.

For Common, I don't know all of his albums that well, but Like Water For Chocolate is my favorite from what I've heard. I'm pretty sure it is considered one of his best albums, or at least it was at one point.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

global tetrahedron posted:

James Brown. I don't think he was necessarily an 'album' kind of guy, but I could be wrong. I love lots of funk stuff but never got around to him because his discography is so huge and I never thought a single Greatest Hits comp would be any good. I think this genre shines live, so that avenue might be good, or anything else really. Where should I start?

edit: can't believe I posted this without bolding an artist name

As far as individual albums, I usually stick to his live stuff. Live at the Apollo 1962 is a pure classic, and I also really love Live at the Apollo II, which has more funk if that is what you are looking for - the middle section of the second disc, from "There was a Time" (I think that is where it starts) to "Cold Sweat" is one of the best funk medleys you will ever hear ("Hey Hey, I feel alright, uh!").

After that, I think the best thing you can do is buy the Star Time Box Set. Like you said, James Brown isn't really an album guy, but nobody has more great songs than him. You get 71 with this set, and that should be a good start.

Edit: Robert Christgau loves James Brown, and agrees with Star Times as the starting point.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 10, 2012

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

If you want a more complete overview of his funk stuff, I recommend these over Star Time:

Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969

I almost listed this one as well - I love that collection.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Criminal Minded posted:

What's a good place to start with Bootsy Collins' non-P-Funk work?

Actually, for that matter, where the gently caress do I start with James Brown? That guy's body of work is staggering and he's obviously hugely important but I never much see any one or two classic albums attributed to his name.

Star Time if you can afford it. Foundations of Funk if you want something cheaper and are more interested in funk. James brown really isn't the best album person to start with. After either Star Time or Fiundations of Funk then check out his live stuff. Live at the Apollo One is a classic, Live at the Apollo Two is good, and Live at the Olympia is my favorite. After a live album, if you still want more, then look at his albums proper

Seriously, get Star Time. It will save you money in the end. If you want more convincing, listen to Christgau:

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/rs/brown-07.php

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

I disagree with a few of these.

With Black Flag, listen to Damaged and The First Four Years in either order. My War is my favorite album by Black Flag but it's not the best starting point.

Flaming Lips listen to The Soft Bulletin first.

Melvins check out Houdini.

I agree with this, except I think Transmissions from the Satellite Heart would also be a good starting point for the Lips. Based on the other bands you asked about, you might enjoy their more crazy distorted acid stuff compared to their spacey pretty acid stuff, and it makes the transition into Soft Bulletin that much more unique.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Superimposition posted:

I've been meaning to get into Sun Ra. Any recommendations?

I'm by no means an expert (on either Sun Ra or on how to describe his music, as you will note in my crap descriptions). Here are a couple of ideas:

Space is the Place: The 1972 "Impulse" album, not the soundtrack to the movie. Link to avoid confusion. Free-form and spacey, but with a fairly decent variety of instrumentation and sounds, this is probably what you are expecting Sun Ra to sound like. I'm not sure if "fun" is the right way to describe Sun Ra, but I think of this as a fun album.

Jazz in Silhouette: Every description will tell you that this was the transition album from more traditional jazz to the avant-garde music he would later start making (such as Space is the Place). It's a drat great jazz album, though, and is only "conventional" when compared to his later work. It wasn't one of my favorites at first (since I was initially attracted to his more abstract music), but it grew on me over the years.

The Singles: This was my first album. It's not really a great overview in the sense that it contains nothing but short songs, but it gives a huge overview of all the various sounds and styles of the man and his band. It helped me zero in on other areas/eras to explore, and I still listen to it because its one hell of a crazy ride.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 24, 2014

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

thegloaming posted:

Voodofly made some good suggestions above, but my personal favorite recommendation is Lanquidity. It's weird, but accessible, jazz fusion.

Actually, I have to say thanks for this one. I'd never heard Lanquidity before, but checked it out from your post and loved every second of it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

alnilam posted:

Thanks! Could you recommend what album to start with among all those artists?
I do have Chemical Bros' "Dig your own hole."

My couple of recommendations from that era:

Crystal Method: Vegas (I'd say stop there as well, and quite frankly I have no idea how well this album has stood the test of time).
Prodigy: Music for the Jilted Generation is my favorite, and I think their best album (and may have inspired my screen name back in the mid 90s when I needed a hotmail account and the album was spinning). Fat of the Land probably has more songs you will recognize like Firestarter and Breathe, and is a fine album as well.
Fatboy Slim: Better Living Through Chemistry is his most well known, but I wasn't ever a big Fatboy Slim fan so someone else might have a better recommendation.

Might not technically be "big beat" but I'd also throw out Leftfield: Leftism from that era as well. I think it has a decent amount in common with Propellerheads in the mix of hip hop, jazz fusion and beats, and I think it held up pretty well.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 30, 2014

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Any advice on what album(s) to start with for Thee Oh Sees. I've seen them live a few times and, while a lot of people have told me their albums are inferior to their lives shows, I'm in the mood to finally check out an album or two. If it matters, I couldn't tell you a single song I remember by name from their shows.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and not suggest starting with 13 Songs. Instead just jump in with Repeater.

I'd agree with this. I'd also maybe suggest jumping up to In on the Kill Taker or Red Medicine next, just to really get a sense of how the band started to evolve. All of their albums are worth getting into eventually, though.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Daydream Nation, like others have said. There isn't a better starting point. After that if you want more experimental go backwards to Sister or Evol, if you want something more accessible jump up a decade or so to Murray Street or Sonic Nurse. I'm going to quote something I posted in here a few years ago about where to go AFTER Daydream Nation - I stand by most of it (ignore Rather Ripped for now).

Voodoofly posted:

I think most would say you started correctly with Daydream Nation. After that, I think there are multiple ways to go.

I'm fond of referring people to 2002(?)'s Murray Street as the second stop, especially if you want something "cleaner" sounding but still retaining the long, spacy song structure of some of the Daydream Nation songs. "Rain on Tin" is about as close to someone recapturing Television's "Marquee Moon" as I've heard, and really I don't know of any SY album that has a stronger opening three songs than Murray Street ("Karen Revisited," the fourth song, is one I love, but it will divide most fans). I think if you enjoyed "Candle" from Daydream, this is a good second choice. If you enjoy Murray Street, Sonic Nurse is fairly similar (and I think there is a decent debate as to which is a better album), and don't be afraid to go with Sonic Nurse if you can't find Murray Street.

If you liked the harder, more erratic songs, its hard not to say stepping back to Sister. However, considering you are on the fence about Daydream, I don't know if Sister is the proper next step. However, Dirty, despite being a very divisive album in their catalogue, might be another good place to go. It was their "grunge" album (according to critics), and has many shorter, harder rock songs. I think "Silver Rocket" or "Hey Joni" might be the best examples of what you will here on Dirty, although they are by no means perfect examples of Dirty. If you want to sample Dirty, I'd say "100%" or "Sugar Cane" are two of the better pick up and hear songs, while "Wish Fulfillment" is my favorite from that album.

A couple of my friends got into SY over the last couple years from their 2006(?) album Rather Ripped. Best description I can give is that it is like Daydream Nation made into shorter pop songs (at least as far as SY does pop songs). "Incinerate" was pretty big off that album, and would be a good sample if you want to hear something - "Do You Believe in Rapture" is also probably a decent song to sample. Rather Ripped also has "Pink Steam" which is my favorite SY song of the decade.

The truth is there are many places to go with SY - if you said your favorite songs off Daydream, it might give some help. Also, I think most people will say that SY albums grow on you, and take some time to get into, so if you are a little iffy, it might just take a little more time.

Hope that helps.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Second their best of album as a good starter; it was my intro. You also can't go wrong with Bee or Alien.

What is a good entry for XTC? I know a few songs but have never given their albums a proper go.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

For XTC, take your pick of Drums and Wires, Black Sea, English Settlement, or Skylarking.

Those albums are their most consistent. If you like more new wave and punkier stuff, Drums and Wires is a good starting point. If you like psychedelic music from the 60s, Skylarking is great.

If you just need one, Skylarking is great. It has their first US hit, it has great songs, and it isn't too long like their next few records. But any of what I'd listed is a good starting place.

Thanks, starting with Drums and Wires because Making Plans for Nigel is a great song (and Skylarking isn't on Apple Music for free).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

I hope you enjoy it. They're one of my favourite groups, but it can be daunting.

I'd tell most people to ignore their first two records (the best stuff was released as a single anyway), and then past that, it's all worth it.

Don't forget to check out The Dukes of Stratosphere. It was a great side project. They did the EP at their commercial nadir, and the LP after they bounced back, and both are really good. The album is just a great homage/parody of psychedelic music, and Pale and Precious is one of their best songs.

More people should listen to XTC.

I need to thank you once again for the recommendations. I've been listening to Drums and Wires, Black Sea and especially English Settlement non-stop for the last few days. Seriously, it's been a long time since I listened to an album that was as strong top to bottom as English Settlement. Looks like Skylarking is being remastered and should be released in the next couple months so I'll pick that up as well, and check out their other stuff as time goes on.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Terminally Bored posted:

Damned Damned Damned is the obvious starting point here as it has probably all their best songs there. New Rose in particular was crazy influential, listen to that drum sound at the beginning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfyUqVqX-0

The Damned, of all the UK '77 bands, were the closest to NY Dolls and Stooges stylistically which automatically makes them the most interesting. Their later stuff is nothing worthwhile, though, most of it just some goth crap. Also keep in mind that punk is a 7'' genre, good albums were (still are) very rare.

Seconding all of this, but I just want to point out that Machine Gun Etiquette is worth a listen after you have gone through Damned Damned Damned a few times.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Cymbal Monkey posted:

The answer is always Skinny Fists, though the wildcard is Yanqui UXO, which is probably their most aggressive album, I'd recommend it if you can't get into Skinny Fists pacing.

Sort of agree here. Lift is their best album, but the heavier parts of Yanqui UXO are what I would play for someone who was just trying to get into them and had reservations. Caveat this response with the fact that I'm definitely not the biggest GYBE fan and that Yanqui UXO was the first album of theirs I listened to properly (and not grabbing one offs back in the napster era).

Edit: Might as well throw one out. Where is the best place to start with Boredoms? I've heard a few songs over the years but couldn't tell you the names of any of them, so consider my a complete novice when it comes to their actual music as opposed to their reputation.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for all the Boredoms recs!