Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Wild Planet is great. B-52s are 110% a live band also, although maybe not right now (anymore?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Greetings from asbury Park is the good one. The rest are dumb.

Edit: and the demos for that album are better than the actual album. Springsteen messes stuff up in the studio.

Edit 2: the old live boxed set might be the correct answer here.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 12, 2019

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Siivola posted:

I tried Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town, and I'm starting to think the Boss isn't my thing. :ohdear:

Nah, it’s kinda corny stuff. Try the first one though. It’s alright.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

Like Ruby's Arms is seriously one of his best songs though

I always thought that sounded like a song from Cats

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The best 2 Elton John records are Tumbleweed Connection and 11-17-70.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

If I listened to Miles Davis - In A Silent Way and thought it was a masterpiece, where do I go from there? I’ve recently started poking through jazz albums, and this one just clicked with me in a way that nothing else (from the couple of big-name Miles albums or the handful of other people I’ve listened to) has.

The other Miles fusion records from that period would probably be a good place to start. Bitches Brew and Tribute to Jack Johnson. The sidemen on Silent Way (Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, Tony Williams) all were making jazz fusion records in the late 60s/early 70s as well, so you could branch out to their solo and group efforts. Some are funky (Herbie), some are spacey (McLaughlin/Mahavishnu Orchestra), some are kinda butt (Tony’s stuff).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
milt Jackson has a fusion album called Sunflower that I like a lot also. Freddie Hubbard plays on it and Herbie too i think.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

algebra testes posted:

21st Century Digital Boy seems like a pretty good track.

Bad Religion?

It’s all pretty much the same, which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on whether you like it or not. But why not listen to the album that song is on and see if you like it. It’s called stranger than fiction.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Speaking of prog rock, I'm kinda bouncing off of Yes, I think. I'm not really getting into their album Fragile, do I even try to continue with the random copy of 90125 I have or jump ship to another band, ie follow the Rush suggestions above?

I think the current score on my attempts at progressive rock bands are as follows:

Styx: Loved Pieces of Eight absolutely hated this best of album.

Gryphon: Disliked the first three albums.

Greenslade: Remember nothing except Feathered Friends being okay to good.

Asia: Don't remember much about their songs other than being disappointed.

Saga: They exist.

And, if early Queen albums count, loving that poo poo.

Maybe most progressive rock isn't for me???

You chose some off brand prog to dip your toes in.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like sorrow tears and blood a lot.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ike and Tina Turner also. Jokes about Ike's shittiness aside, they made good music together.

They wouldn’t be the first group that came to mind when I thought about pre-Beatles Rock n roll

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

IUG posted:

But I feel like I should have more GnR in my music.

Why?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

internet celebrity posted:

Type O Negative?

They’re all good in different ways.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Earlier in discography if you want punkier, later if you want gothier.

I’d say middle period is the gothiest. It’s more metal towards the end.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I remember Pretties For You as being weird and pretty good. I don’t know if it’s easy to find or not. It used to be hard to find.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Couldn’t you just listen to the flying Burrito Brothers and gram parsons instead of The Eagles and be much happier?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 22, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I got nothing against the eagles except for their music and don henleys lovely attitude about people who work for/with him. But mostly the music.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junpei posted:

George Michael's post-Wham! music?

Do you have to go deeper than Faith? The rest of it all seemed to be pretty thin soup from what I remember.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Rewinding this, where should I start with The Police?

Long ago a friend gave me a pile of mp3s from a Greatest Hits compilation (I think 4 CDs) but a) I'd rather own legitimate music and throw some coin at an artist (or their legally appointed representative / agent / inheritor) and b) I lost most of those files some time ago. The only song I still have is Hole in My Life, is the album that song is from a decent entry point?

Also, I liked some of Sting's solo stuff when it would come on the radio or in a cafe or whatever, I guess I'll do a little exploring there, too.

They only have 5 studio albums, and the first one is the best for my money (Outlandos D’amour). There was also a pretty good 2 disc live album that came out in the 90s.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

evilpicard posted:

Where to start with outlaw country?

I like a bunch of Steve Earle songs but he's apparently released around 50 albums lol

Willie and Waylon?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Willie has like over 100 albums so I'm not sure that's helping evilpicard's problem lol

Teatro’s the best, but I wouldn’t call it outlaw country. But everyone should listen to it anyways. Shotgun Willie and Redheaded Stranger are more outlaw/armadillo and both great. Willie and Waylon did a couple of albums together, too (Pancho and Lefty, and Waylon & Willie).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Can’t really go wrong with Europe 72. One From The Vault is good too if you’re sticking to official, pre-Dick’s Picks releases.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Teach posted:

I mean, thanks for the replies. It couldn't hurt, could it, to have a listen?

The dead are almost equal parts super great and really bad, so they’re a great band to get into if you like lots of stuff to listen to and make fun of.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

Overkill is Motorhead's second album, and their big three consists of that and the next two (Bomber and Ace of Spades). After that I'd say listen to the first album and then just keep going chronologically.

For Judas Priest, I'd say the highlights are Sad Wings of Destiny, British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance, but you really can't go wrong with anything they did in the late 70s or early 80s.

I like Point of Entry for some reason.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junpei posted:

I love "Don't Stop Believing" and "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" but I'm not really super aware of the greater Journey discography, is there more worth looking into?

You may or may not like it, but the early pre-Steve Perry journey when it was mostly just guys from Santana minus Carlos is kinda ok. Less corporate rock/more prog or wimpy jazz fusion than later journey. Try the self titled if you’re interested.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Journey were all about the singles, greatest hits is fine.

Weirdly my favorite song of theirs by miles is... Wheel in the Sky?

:iiam:

The best journey single is stone in love and it’s not on greatest hits, though.

Feeling That Way is a cool song too if you like Chicago ripoffs. Gregg Rolie was a handsome man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg5vziU-qIs

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 19, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Siivola posted:

James Brown?

Live at the Apollo vol 1 is his earlier stuff that you might not be as familiar with, but it’s good. Vol 2 is later on and has a lot of his hits and more funk. If you had to pick one, I might go with Vol 2 since it is bigger and a little more comprehensive, but both together are a good starting point.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Man with Hat posted:

Foo Fighters? And Nirvana while we're at it

Incesticide is the best nirvana album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really don't know much about Bruce Springstreen other than his more popular singles - Born in the USA, Dancing in the Dark and Born to Run are the only 3 songs I know off the top of my head, what else should I check out.

Do you like any of those songs? Especially, I mean.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 28, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ummagumma maybe?

The live half is good at least. I might go with atom heart mother. That goes nowhere slowly.

Edit: like he said^^^

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

No mention of The Wall?

There was mention of the wall. I think it’s bad though. I’d much rather listen to the final cut. At least that’s a single album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pink Floyd’s singles from 67 and 68 were really fun and the band went downhill from there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3DGpINHX5Q

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Psyber Spine posted:

Thanks guys. I guess I'm looking more for songs with a good variety of instruments being used and the same sort of happy, lively sort of vibe.

I like the way the song builds with the little solos going on every now and again, it's like walking through a street party and everyone's smiling and dancing and there's lots going on. I'm not attached to the Japanese theme particularly, it's just that I don't know much about music so I don't know what genre this particular song falls under.

Amazon recommendations haven't been particularly helpful, it's just like "Ah yes, foreign music!" and gives me completely unrelated Mongolian heavy metal songs or something.

You might like Afro-Cuban jazz. Maybe something like Tito Puente.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Psyber Spine posted:

Yes! So I guess it's the jazz structure of the songs that I like? I've not been exposed to a lot of jazz growing up so I'll have to explore the genre a bit more. What does "boogaloo" mean in this context? I've seen it on a few songs that don't seem to have anything in common.

It’s a reference to ringo Starr’s Back Off Boogaloo, which was one of the most influential songs in the genre.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junpei posted:

I listened to OK Computer by Radiohead, where do I go from there?

I don’t know how hard it is to find but you should try to listen to the Airbag/How Am I Driving? EP. it has a couple of my favorite songs from that time period.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

evilpicard posted:

I heard a song that almost sounded like shoegaze but I don't know what album it was from

Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

On that thought, Pet Shop Boys ?

Please is the first one and has the biggest hits. It’s great. There was a remix album of that material called Disco that I like too, but probably not essential next step.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

internet celebrity posted:

I've started digging into Alice Coltrane's discography, where do I go after Journey in Satchinanda and Universal Consciousness if I really like the south Asian influenced avant-garde thing she plays with in those two records? Open to suggestions from other artists as well, I'm not at all well-versed in jazz outside of The Necks so feel free to push me towards more of the psychedelic/atmospheric kind of stuff if you know any.

If you’re completely new to jazz and haven’t heard In a Silent Way or A Tribute to Jack Johnson, they might hit the atmospheric note you’re looking for, and if you like them Miles obviously has a huge catalog to explore. If you’re looking to try a different kind of avant-garde jazz, I like Rahsaan Roland Kirk a lot. Try “Prepare Thyself To Deal With A Miracle” and see if you like it. He does a lot with drone sounds cause he’s often playing a couple horns at a time. That one has vocalists as well. I like it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junpei posted:

Okay, so... big one.

Prince.

I do know the highlights. I've listened to the Purple Rain album, and Dirty Mind, 1999, and Sign O' The Times are definitely next up on the list, and I've listened to a bunch of the big singles, natch.

But like from what I've heard, Around The World In A Day is... mixed, Controversy is just a watered-down Dirty Mind, and basically everything from the 90s period was bad?

Anything else I should be aware of? A standout single or two from a bad album, hidden gems, etc?

90s prince isn’t bad. Neither is 00’s or 10’s prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Tom Tom Club were kind of a fun band to see live.