Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Dr. Disdain posted:

Their latest, Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer is probably your best bet (though some might disagree with me), then work backwards

Hissing Fauna is great, but it's not really indicative of their earlier work - at times, it sounds like a completely different band. They started out much weirder and poppier, so I'd suggest either Satanic Panic in the Attic or The Gay Parade if you want to hear what most of their discography sounds like.

Where should I go with Blonde Redhead? I absolutely adore 23 but I'm not sure what else to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Sebb posted:

A friend of mine is obsessed with the Mountain Goats, so I'm interested enough to check them out. Any general opinions on their work, and what albums are the best?

I've only heard the more recent stuff - I haven't dug into the early lo-fi recordings yet. "The Sunset Tree" is what addicted me to the band, and is pretty indicative of the band's recent sound. "Tallahassee" is probably the most thematically tight album (it's more a concept album about a couple) but has some immensely great tracks. And the new one, "Heretic Pride" is pretty fantastic.

As for their older stuff, someone else will have to fill you in. Those three albums I mentioned come highly recommended, though.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Self Important posted:

This one's kinda big, but where do I start with hip hop that isn't all "bitches and money"?

I would recommend Ghostface Killah.