Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Can someone help me out with The Velvet Underground? I'm already somewhat familiar with them and have two of their albums (& Nico and Self-titled) but I'm confused about how a lot of their stuff was released.

For example, I really like the song Stephanie Says but I can't find it on any albums. (According to Wikipedia it was only released on some outtakes album in the 80s-- is that true? I always thought it was a single.) Are there are any compilation albums or something that would tie up the loose ends for me? Is the outtakes album worth getting is or the song available somewhere better?

Jinnigan posted:

Where do I start with the Polyphonic Spree? My friend showed me this and it is pretty amazing.

I'd recommend Together We're Heavy. It's fun, upbeat, accessible, and packed to the gills with creepy happy-clappy cult-fun that makes The Polyphonic Spree what it is.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks Willie and bedmobile!

Does anyone know where I should start with Sonic Youth? There's an old Radiohead b-side called Permanent Daylight that I absolutely adore and it's said to be 'a tribute to Sonic Youth'. If there's more like Permanent Daylight then I'm very interested. (Here's the Radiohead track for comparison: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t6rqUhEyzGM)

Even if the Sonic Youth connection is exaggerated, I'd still like to know where to start with this iconic band.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Where do I start with Tortoise? I heard a performance of "Salt the Skies" and thought it was amazing. Not heard anything else though. Where do I go first?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Stan Baniszewski posted:

The album with "Salt the skies" is by far their worst.
Start with "Millions now living will never die" (1996), then go with the eponymous (1994) and "TNT" (1998).

Hey wow, Millions Now Living Will Never Die is cool. Thanks a lot, this is a promising start.

Next question: where do I start with Cocteau Twins?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Right, more help needed. Where do I start with Donovan (I really like the song 'Colours' but don't really know anything else except for Mellow Yellow) and The Fall?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks to 19charactersorless and the other guys who helped with Fall suggestions. I grabbed Hex today, very interested in seeing if I like it. Cheers! (edit: jesus gently caress this is insane. Hey there fuckface!! Hey there fuckface!!)

I yet seek instruction regarding Donovan though. Is there more stuff out there by like "Colours"? It's the only song I know (from a movie soundtrack) and I love it. Can anyone help?

Also, I really like Jackson Browne's guitar playing on Nico's album "Chelsea Girl" (the songs "These Days" and "The Fairest of the Seasons", also written by him). I found some video of him playing a sort of weary beaten-down version of "These Days", but I didn't like it nearly as much as the pristine, upbeat style of the Chelsea Girls version. Is this unlike of the stuff he released on his own, or is there similar gorgeous sunny fingerpicking stuff by him out there?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 5, 2008

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Where do I start with Scott Walker? I don't really know anything about him other than that he's an influential/innovative pop songwriter (right?!) and that I really should have listened to him by now.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I notice there's two guys with David Byrne avatars on this page alone so maybe they'll be able to help me! Bit of a specific question, this...

I saw Mr Byrne live last week and since then I've been on a big Talking Heads trip. I've found, though, that I infinitely prefer the Remain in Light stuff to any of their other albums. I've been massively digging the Remain in Light tracks on The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads-- can't stop listening to the live versions of Houses in Motion and Born Under Punches at the moment-- and I'm wondering if there are any other live recordings of Remain in Light stuff out there (apart from Stop Making Sense which has a paltry two tracks). In particular I'd love to hear a live version of The Overload. Are there any bootlegs or something you could point me to?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 25, 2009

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Raccoon Leaf posted:

I've been thinking about whether I've ever heard "The Overload" performed live by Talking Heads (or even any of the last 3 songs of the album), and I haven't come up with a single answer for you as far as that is concerned.

However, there are plenty of live performances of the first 5 tracks of Remain in Light. Go to YouTube and look up Talking Heads Live in Rome for some more Adrian Belew live-era stuff (here's one to get you started - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KQjy02eqOk).

Actually, I've been watching/listening to those Rome videos all week. (Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the first post.) They're absolutely loving amazing-- so much joy and nervous energy. Belew's performance is wonderful.

Speaking of Adrian Belew, based on those videos I am potentially a fan of his guitar work. He seems to have been in millions of bands. Anyone know where I can find more like abstract guitar stuff he did with Talking Heads?

quote:

If you really (really) want to hear a live version of "The Overload" then find Phish's 1996 Halloween show. They performed Remain in Light in its entirety.

That actually sounds bizarre enough to be worth looking up. Thanks!

fake edit: I just found it on Youtube and actually this is weirdly cool.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 27, 2009

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Where do I start with, uh, the jungle/drum & bass genre? I am embarrassed to admit this but it's actually a cheesy video game track that made me wonder if there might be something in it for me to like after all-- I've gone my whole life hating the genre-- but it's completely out of my field so I have no idea where to start hunting.

I just love the chopped-up beats starting at 1:03. I want to listen to lots and lots of that.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

HAI posted:

Download a couple of DJ Hype mixtapes and see what you dig. "Jungle Massive" has most of the hits of the jungle era, and "Drum&Bass Arena Presents DJ Hype" is a pretty sick mix of more modern jump-up poo poo.

OK, so I followed up on this recommendation and I think I learnt something: specifically, that this genre is way too loving fast for me. Like I said before, I like the cut-up beats, but the tempo is turned up so high I can't get a grip on anything. I want to feel a groove.

So... is there something, uh, slower I could try? That track I linked, for example, feels like a loving ballad compared to this DJ Hype stuff.

Am I... am I a pansy?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

insomne posted:

recommendations

This is a beautiful post. Thanks a lot. I'll spend a few days at work listening through this stuff. I do listen to a fair bit of electronic/sampled music, eg the more mainstream Warp stuff and the Daft Punk/Justice crowd etc. It's just that one drat Sonic track that makes me wonder if I should be trying more with D&B.

On the subject of sampled/electronic stuff, another uncool videogame soundtrack reference: can you recommend anything in the vein of the Jet Set Radio soundtrack? I mean, I don't even know what genre it is, some kind of hip-hop? I like how it's bright and catch without being cheesy. Well, maybe it is cheesy. I wouldn't know.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 9, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

insomne posted:

Man your rec was cool but Pendulum is basically about as entry-level as drum 'n' bass gets so why not. gently caress, I don't like it, but I know a lot of people do.

Yeah, I've never liked Pendulum TBH

Hai: your recommendation was very useful too in terms of demonstrating to me that I probably don't like D&B after all.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

-Atom- posted:

I liked Mos Def's contributions to the BlakRoc album and noticed he has an extensive catalog.

Inform me.

His last album is excellent.

And, IMO, his contribution to the last Gorillaz record was the best track on the album, though many disagree, I guess?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Where do I start with Steve Reich?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Reposting this from the "recommend me" thread since no-one cared there:

Popcorn posted:

I'm looking to explore some more Krautrock, specifically something with that repeating motorik rhythm, eg demonstrated by this amateur youtube band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv2KZnhFqvk

I understand that's pretty Neu-esque, but what I've heard of Neu doesn't seem to be as harsh/rock-y as I'd like-- I like that grinding riff over the straight 4/4 motorik drumming. Is there some specific Neu I should be looking at, or anything else?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I will check out those albums, thanks!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Next question: how do I get into dubstep? I know literally nothing about the genre and couldn't name a single artist. As someone who mostly listens to contemporary classical and indie/alt-rock... where should I begin?

slowdave posted:

If you have 70-80 bucks to spare, the Works boxset is definitely worth getting.

I got this boxset.

I do not regret it.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I love the track Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence by Ryuchi Sakamoto. What else should I listen to?

vvvvv thanx coolguys!!

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 4, 2012

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Where do I start with Captain Beefheart? I just heard Sun Zoom Spark and I loved it so much I ordered the album it's on. What else should I listen to?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Fela Kuti? He was a big influence on Remain in Light (Talking Heads) and I'm into my mad cross-rhythms.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Nina Simone?

I absolutely love "Just in Time", which was used in the final scene of the movie Before Sunset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhqOHFUYtzI

VVV thank you!

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

The Posies?