Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Sewer Shark posted:

What should I do with The Fall? I have Live at the Witch Trials and liked it but I took a look at their discography and when I saw that they're still going strong I didn't know where to go next.

Nobody agrees on what the best Fall albums are, so the best plan is to pick up the excellent 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong comp and pick out your favorite tracks from there. They've never made a bad album, so if there's a certain song (or group of songs) you like, pick up one of those. The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall is probably the best place to start if you don't want a compilation. I started with The Real New Fall LP...it's one of their newer ones, but one of the best, containing some great rock tunes and a lot of good electronic effects. And if you like that one and decide to get into the Fall, look forward to becoming broke ;)

Octavio posted:

Rush, Yes and King Crimson are three bands I've wanted to get into for a while. I've heard Tom Sawyer by Rush, I've seen all good people by Yes and 21st Century Schizoid Man and Epitaph by King Crimson. I like all of them =).

I don't know anything about Rush, but King Crimson I'm a big fan of. It's tricky to 'get started' on them because they're really 4 or 5 bands in one. The first incarnation (the one that did the songs you mentioned) is the most famous, and their debut, In the Court of the Crimson King, despite one pretty offputting section, is a major classic and should probably be heard by everyone. They reached another peak in the mid-70's with a harder rock sound, producing another classic album, Red. In you liked that, Lark's Tongues in Aspic is more difficult but also more rewarding and maybe their best album. After that, they broke up for 7 years and became a New Wave band - Discipline is a great album, and a lot more accessible than the stuff mentioned above, but seriously if you're interested in this era of the band, you should get the amazing live set Absent Lovers, which contains pretty much every good 80's track performed way better than in the studio. They broke up again and became another different band in the 90's through today - these discs are good, but nothing really essential.

Yes is a little easier to contain - their classic period is three albums (The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge), of which Fragile is the best to start with (it should also contain a couple of recognizable tracks).

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Where should I start with Brian Eno's solo work? Or. Where should I continue to? I randomly got Ambient 1 and Another Green World after reading a quick overview of him and enjoyed both of them.

I honestly don't know a lot about his ambient work but I can say that all four of his vocal albums are astounding, especially if you like New Wave. Those are Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World, and Before and After Science. Since you've already got AGW, I'd get Before and After Science next, as it combines some of his best vocal pieces with some of his best ambient ones. It was the album I started with after reading up on the guy and I wouldn't have it any other way.

agro_cragg posted:

Where does one start with The Kinks?

The recommendation given already is pretty good and covers most of their good albums, but if you don't mind getting a compilation, get The Kink Kronikles - all the tracks are culled from their best period, and half of the tracks are singles and B-sides that aren't available on the albums. It's amazingly solid and should make you a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Alright, I've got a few:

Ken Ishii
New Order (I've got Technique and like it, but not sure what to do from there)
Kompakt material As in, who's the best?
Sonic Youth
Throbbing Gristle

All of these I've been meaning to check out, but don't have a clue where to start.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Don Modicum posted:

Where do I start with Depeche Mode? I've listened to their best of vol.1 a great deal and want to hear more. If it helps my favorite song off of it is "Enjoy the Silence".

That song is off Violator, which is one of their most acclaimed albums, so you may want to start there. For me, I started with Some Great Reward, and it made me a huge fan - that's one seriously good album.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

The Human Lobster posted:

How about Genesis? I'm a big fan of Peter Gabriel's solo stuff. Here's my Last.fm for reference: http://www.last.fm/user/TheHumanLobster/

Gabriel solo doesn't really sound like Genesis, but they're a fantastic band either way. For me, I don't think I could have gotten into them unless my first album by them was Selling England by the Pound. It's one of the best progressive rock albums ever and I think it's Genesis's best work. After that you've got Foxtrot and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, both a little more tougher to get into (Foxtrot contains a sidelong track, which rules, and the Lamb is a double album) but also well worth it.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Billy Gnosis posted:

I'd say This Nations Saving Grace would be another great place to start. But I started with Hex Enduction Hour as well, though its not one of my favorites. I may not have given more of the Fall a listen if I started with something else.

I'm not really the kind who would just recommend a greatest hits collection but the 50,000 fall fans can't be wrong collection is really great, and since they have like 30 albums out it's not like you're gonna be 'ruining' the albums the way some best of's do. Otherwise I would say The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall is probably the most representative of their type of sound, This Nation's Saving Grace is pretty similar and came right after...I started with The Real New Fall LP and absolutely loved it, and still think it's one of their best

JAMOOOL fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 21, 2008

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Mr. Pharmacist posted:

Agreed, the 50,000 Fall Fans comp is really good, it's how I got into them.

Where do I start with Amon Duul/Amon Duul II?

I've heard some of the Amon Duul I stuff, it didn't really interest me, but I do think Amon Duul II is pretty great. Their first three albums and their fifth (Wolf City) are generally considered to be the sweet spot. Of those I'd say Yeti is probably the one you want - it's a double, with the first album containing a lot of great song-based material, and the second containing improvised jams. Kind of reminds me of Tago Mago in that way. If you don't like the album in the first 5 minutes this probably won't be the band for you. After that Tanz Der Lemminge is another great one - it's kind of based off three sidelongs but the first two on mine are broken up into a bunch of different tracks. There's lots of great guitar work, they almost sound like Zeppelin in spots.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

wildwookie05 posted:

Starting to get into some Kraut Rock, where should with Faust and Neu!
?

It kind of depends whether or not you are looking for more whacked out, experimental stuff or the more rhythmic and influential stuff. Neu! only has three albums (well, four technically if you count the aborted 80's project that was released, but it's not really that good), so it's not hard to just get them all. The first album is generally cited as the most influential and it is fairly experimental, however does feature some pretty awful stuff (I'm talking about the vocals on the last track). "Hallo Gallo" is probably their most famous track and is definitely the most influential. Despite that I'd say the best starting point is Neu! '75, without a doubt in my mind their best and most solid album. It was still influential and forward looking in the eventual electronic field ("Isi"), and they were doing thrash/punk stuff before it was even popular ("After Eight").

As for Faust there's a few good choices. Their most accessible and best albums are So Far and Faust IV. The latter is generally considered to be better, although I personally like So Far a little more since it contains one of my favorite Kraut tracks ever ("No Harm"). Despite that I think IV covers the different facets of the band better. Their debut (the X-ray fist album) is widely considered to be one of the best avant-garde albums ever. It's certainly a trip but it doesn't really represent what the band was about. If you like them the rest of the 'first incarnation' is good. They came back in the 90's and are still around and have been pretty spotty and noisy, although Ravvivando is one of the best industrial-type albums I've ever heard and it came out recently.

If you don't have them already and are interested in this kind of music, I'd definitely get some Can albums too, they are in the same style and are equally influential. Get Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, and Future Days - I hate to be a guy who recommends three albums from a band that you aren't even asking about but they are all 5-star albums to me, and in my mind the only band to ever release three great albums in a row like that.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I'd get The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall (with the bonus tracks), one of their early 80's "peak" albums. The Real New Fall LP is fairly new (from 2003) but I feel it also represents the band well. Even if you hate comps, you might want to make an exception for a band that has released like 30 studio albums and a zillion EPs. I kinda feel like everyone's going to give you a different answer on this.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

TheNintenGenius posted:

With Elvis Costello, your best starting points by far are going to be either My Aim Is True or This Year's Model. Actually, you really can't go wrong with most of the material that Costello released up to Blood and Chocolate (emphasis on most: for the love of god, please don't try out Goodbye Cruel World), but his first two albums are definitely among his best (if not his absolute best) and really introduce you to his general songwriting style.

Unless you're asking for suggestions for jazzy Elvis Costello, in which case I don't really have a clue.

Right on. I'm not much for compilations but the release called "The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years" is ridiculously great. Everything up to Imperial Bedroom is great, but I'm not really a fan of the stuff that came after. King of America seemed so ponderous, I'm not sure if I could get behind it outside of a few tunes. But this comp is rock solid.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

WASDF posted:

Where do I start with LCD Sound System?

Sound of Silver is their best album and IMO the one Murphy's going to be remembered for, but really you can't go wrong.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

ehh, the Nike album is pretty good though, I mean there's only 3 LCD albums to really discover so it's not really something to be avoiding

its also worth mentioning that the bonus disc of the 1st album with all the early singles is better than the album itself, and some of those singles are absolutely essential

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

Disagree.

Court is a great place to start, but moving forward from there means you'll be bored almost instantaneously---the next record, In the Wake of Poseidon, is meh-to-okay, Lizard is one of those underrated records that I'm not sure if it should be rated at all, and Islands kinda sucks. After that, they completely shift gears, change the lineup around and start getting interesting again.

That new lineup, more or less, put out three good-to-phenomenal records, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red. Larks' and Red are both reasonable to start with in that era.

Guitar-wise, the Mark 3 and later editions of the group (their work from Discipline onwards) changes up a bit, Belew takes more of the screaming weirdness and solos, Fripp gets more into textural weirdness and such. There's still plenty of material to listen to from those various lineups, but definitely start with Discipline to get a feel for Crimson after the 70s.

As far as 80's Crim goes, you can replace it all with the live album Absent Lovers, which is insane (and makes the studio records sound like they drag). IMO there are only really four studio albums that are really worth getting - In the Court, Lizard, Lark's Tongues, and Red. Afterwards, the live albums were better - I dig Absent Lovers, VROOOM VROOOM, and Heavy ConstruKction way more than the respective studio albums (though Discipline is a classic in its own right!)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Don't sleep on Imperial Bedroom either. I feel like Costello was kind of like XTC, in that they both had great early periods, then decided to branch out. Imperial Bedroom is kinda like his English Settlement. Except, XTC handled the next phase of their career so much better :S

Anyway, my "Where do I start?" is with Conrad Schnitzler - I have Rot and Blau, but everything from there seems so confusing, just one limited release after another with unnamed tracks...what are the good ones?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

the Bunt posted:

Yes?

Squarepusher?

thanks in advance!!

I can answer these two. I agree with the above post that you can really start with any of Yes's three big classics, but to me Fragile is far and away the one to start with. First of all, it's one of the only two albums with the full classic lineup, and secondly, it's surprisingly accessible. The "secret" of Yes is that they really weren't that difficult in their prime, they had a lot of talented people and jammed a lot, and on Fragile they wrote some really great songs to match.

As for Squarepusher, I always would recommend Hard Normal Daddy first, as it's one of the few albums he did that I feel is fully successful on its face. It's basically jazz-fusion as seen through the eyes of a drill n' bass guy, but thankfully he keeps a lot of the ear-destroying stuff off the record and focuses on tight, glitched-out grooves. IMO this one makes a better first impression than any of them.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

nuts_rice posted:

How do I get my grove on to Kraftwerk? As a fan of electronic music, I got to honor the pioneers.

I agree with the above that everything from Autobahn to Computer World is pretty much essential, but if you just want to get aquainted with them on a high level and hear all the important tunes in a form that sounds incredibly modern, pick up the recent live Minimum-Maximum 2 disc set. It's seriously great and my favorite KW release.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yes, YMO is great and should be checked out by everyone, but as far as Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence goes - that whole soundtrack is pretty great. try Left Handed Dream.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Howsabout Peter Gabriel era Genssis and Gabriel solo?

Well I think the post above me covered everything, but I just wanted to emphasize that Selling England by the Pound pretty much has to be your first Genesis album - personally, I don't think I could have gotten into the group otherwise. Yes or King Crimson they are not.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

For E-Cost it's really not a bad idea to go in order. Blast is right about those first two albums, and they're both very different from one another. Then the next three (Armed Forces, Get Happy!!, and Trust) are all very good as well. Skip Almost Blue (a country covers album) and go to Imperial Bedroom for the first taste of the more "mature" E-Cost. After that you really have to pick and choose your spots (for example, definitely skip Goodbye Cruel World, as Elvis's heart definitely wasn't in it)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

Van Der Graaf Generator

This is my favorite progressive band but I have to admit that you probably will have difficulty getting into them unless you start with H to He, Who Am The Only One, which is the one that I think will sound most familiar to those who are into classic prog. The first two tracks are amazing but that whole record is really great - plus, it'll get you used to Hammill's style.

If you like that, you could really go anywhere - all their releases are great - but if you're looking for something more difficult, check out Pawn Hearts which is their big opus album, if you want something that rocks a little harder, check out their post-reformation albums Godbluff and Still Life, which show the band in full-throttle theatrical evil rock mode. In fact, if you're not really a prog guy maybe just start with Godbluff since I think that one really transcends the genre of "progressive rock".

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Just going chronologically with the Swans seems like the best way to go.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Self-titled seems like a good place to start with ELP, a lot of their good qualities are shown off on the first side, and a lot of their bad ones are shown off on the second. But overall it's a pretty strong album. Trilogy is maybe the most inoffensive (not a lot of shameless keyboard-humping) and as a kid that was the one I really loved. Brain Salad Surgery is now my favorite but it's definitely not for the faint of heart. Good luck!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I will say that for Numan some of those post-Telekon albums ain't so bad. Dance has always been a favorite of mine and if you don't mind slap-synthbass and the backing vox some albums like Berserker are rather fun. But definitely check out his first four.

For the recent albums I think Splinter is probably the best he's done since The Pleasure Principle, I really do think it's magnificent and I am hoping it'll hold up years down the road. His most recent period, from Sacrifice on, are all good to great albums - but I think they suffer from a bit of sameness. Pure in particular strikes me as an album that has awesome sonics and overall good songwriting but he can't help himself from falling into the same quiet/loud/quiet/loud dynamic that makes the songs hard to pull apart. For the most part Splinter is diverse enough to be free of all that.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is any of Sting's solo work anywhere near as good as any of The Police albums? Or is it all pretty similar to the schmaltzy poo poo he put out throughout the late '90s, early 2000s?

My favorite Sting album is the live double-disc Bring on the Night, which shows off the jazz band to full effect, and features a bunch of more obscure Police songs (great ones too, like "Low Life" and "I Burn For You"), some cool medleys, and most of the Blue Turtles tracks that weren't hits. There are some duffer moments but it's a lot more livelier than any of the studio albums. That said, the first four are decent!

I always thought Copeland put out the best stuff post-Police. His Klark Kent compilation is essentially an album's worth of lost could've-been-Police-songs, and the Rumblefish soundtrack is excellent and rather unique. There was an anthology released recently that covers most of what he's been up to since the Police broke up, it's pretty expansive.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

quadrophrenic posted:

Yellow Magic Orchestra?

You really can't go wrong, but you may want to avoid the albums with comedy sketches - Xoo Multiplies and Service. I would start with Solid State Survivor, which would probably be the most familiar to fans of other kind of technopop (such as Kraftwerk). But all their main albums - the s/t, SSS, BGM, Technodelic, and Naughty Boys - are essential.

Now when you want to explore their solo careers, let me know... :D

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

I really liked Nuclear, didn't like the rest of that album, where should I start with Mike Oldfield?

Tubular Bells is definitely his 'classic' disc but I'll be honest, I have his first 7 albums (up to Five Miles Out) and Tubular Bells is probably the one I like the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

AlphaXires posted:

As far as Autechre goes, someone recommended me Cichlisuite as a starting point years, maybe, four years and four months ago? Never got any further than that - except maybe Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae. Want to know where else I can really work my up from.

I like the idea of just starting with the beginning with these guys, you can hear their progression from album-to-album (or EP to EP) and I don't think they've really put out anything bad - they have a wealth of stone-classic material.

Another approach (if you haven't got that kind of time) is to get LP5, and if you find it too harsh, go backwards, if you think it's not noisey enough, go forwards.