Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

JoeRules posted:

What's a good starting point for The Afghan Whigs?

Honestly, that depends on what you seek. 1965 is sweaty dirty sex in a back alley of the French Quarter pre-Katrina. With lines like "you can gently caress my body baby/but please don't gently caress my mind", Dulli channels some serious motown. Gentlemen will probably have the song you might recognize if you were into college rock back in the 90's. "Debonair" got a lot of radio play and is fairly characteristic of the Subpop sound. Therefore, it's probably the most accessible. My personal favorite is Black Love. This is film-noir put to music. "Honky's Ladder" got a bit of play, but overall this record was incredibly dark and even the one single was probably to "edgy" for play at the time. Still, when the dude sings "got you were i want you motherfucker/i got five upon you now" he generates a persona of not loving around. Dulli was always portrayed as a rakish rear end in a top hat. The kinda dude that would fill you up with drugs and booze and then go gently caress your girlfriend while you sit drooling at the ceiling in the other room.

If you're not sure of taking on a whole album, they recently released a quite excellent greatest hits compilation, Unbreakable. This contains tracks from all the albums I mentioned above, plus their first two studio albums Up In It and Congregation and a track from their motown covers ep Uptown Avondale. Up In It is noisier Sub-pop fare, while Congregation mapped out the framework for their affair with soul and r+b. Plus, the compilation has two new (unreleased) tracks that are worth hearing.

Also, check out Blackberry Belle from the Twilight Singers and the upcoming Gutter Twins release for more Dulli goodness (with Mark Lanegan to boot).

hatelull fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 23, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cryme posted:

AEnima, i guess.

Seconded. It's not like any one album is more challenging than the other. Not to start some huge debate over the merits of Tool but anything after Undertow is going to give you the same vibe. AEnima is arguably their most successful, but even Lateralus got a lot of exposure. That album is probably the most "positive" if you're into the quasi hippy vibe that Alex Grey likes to pimp in his art work. If you want to see them at their most METAL, pick up the Opiate EP. Likewise, if you want the album with the two 120 Minutes staples go get Undertow (bonus points for the random Henry Rollins guest spot).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

ThunderTung posted:

Where do I start with Nine Inch Nails?

Ryan I know you know.

Oh now we're just being silly.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Bobby The Rookie posted:

That's pretty easy: start with "Siamese Dreams," move onto "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," move backwards to "Gish," and avoid everything else like the plague.

You can still include the lull e.p. and Pisces Iscaariot. Also, Machina II wasn't that bad.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Oh definitely, but it's not an album that I'd recommend to the casual listener wanting to get a snapshot of the sound that defined the band.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Raccoon Leaf posted:

New Order - I'm not one to suggest starting with Greatest Hits. However, if you haven't already you actually might want to start with the "Best of" compilation. New Order released a lot of singles that don't appear on regular albums, and the "Best of" will give you those plus a few great album tracks. As for the actual albums, New Order has been pretty consistent over the years, so where you start pretty much depends on preference. My personal favorite is Technique, but a lot of people like Power Corruption and Lies.

If you're going to start with a "Greatest Hits" compilation as opposed to a studio album, you might as well go with Substance over something like (Best Of)). However, if you're one of those purists that believes in jumping right into a classic studio album, I'd suggest either Brotherhood or Power, Corruption & Lies. Those two albums explore everything that made that band great.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Mortigi Tempo posted:

How could I get into some good Shoegaze and Slowcore?

I think this was already discussed a few pages, back but might as well reiterate here.

As modernlifeisadam mentioned up above, My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is an excellent place to start. With that one album, Shields took mammoth steps in defining the genre. From there, you might also check out the first Ride LP Nowhere, Catherine Wheel's Ferment (if only for their early hit single "Black Metallic"), and Spooky from Lush. Those three, along with Loveless should provide a decent introduction to the sound. From there, move on to things like Jesus and Mary Chain (Psychocandy for starters), Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized. If you're still not satisfied and are simply ravenous for that wonderfully drugged up guitar wash sound, then try Galaxie 500 or Slowdive.

As for slowcore, check out Low. I'd start with Long Division or I Could Live in Hope. These guys were some of the early pioneers of the sound. For an added bonus, check out the Joy Division tribute record (A Means to an End) for their sublime cover of "Transmission." If you find Low pleasing to your ears, then maybe go check out Codeine (also on the Joy Division tribute album) Mojave 3 and The Red House Painters.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Deltron 3030 posted:

Where do I start with Ween? I don't know much about them but they seem really interesting.

Pure Guava has their "120 Minutes College Rock" hit, along with a lot of other good tracks. It's as good as place as any to start. From there, go ahead and check out Chocolate & Cheese.

After that, I'd say go with whatever album cover and/or title looks amusing. Those guys like to play around with different styles. In my opinion (which is worth gently caress all), there's not one album that would capture their sound.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

... lots of artists, many of which are an odd choice to associate with a music style commonly known as electronica (Pigface? really?) ...

I honestly wasn't sure if the original request was just some twit taking the piss, since that's one of the music types that gets a LOT of threads started around these parts. Anyway, I'll give ToxicSlurpee the Kraftwerk and Daft Punk as pioneers of the genre in the former and modern big name successes for the latter. Also, Prodigy and Fatboy Slim are nice examples of the Big Beat type sound. Aphex Twin is the go-to for the glitchy style that often veers off into experimental territory. However, if you're really going to talk about music that is mostly instrumental made with electronic devices then it might be nice to check out some of the work of Orbital and The Orb. Orbital's early albums were delicious, with tracks like "Chime" and "Halycon On + On" becoming dance floor staples. However, look into albums like Snivilisation or In-Sides for work that can really peel back your skull. Patterson and The Orb make music for the chill out room. Go seek out the first LP for a nice slice of ambience.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anyway...I'm going to also drop the name of Love Spirals Downwards into my list of recommendations. They're twirly ethereal music that's all guitar/synthesizer/vocals. Or some combination like that...they're nice, either way, and I've met like two other people that have heard of them.

Projekt had a lot of great stuff. Black Tape for a Blue Girl were excellent as well. You gotta love that mid-90's ambient goth.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

A Sober Irishman posted:

I was wondering where a good place to start would be for Elvis Presley. Songs of his I really like are Love Me Tender, Suspicious Minds and Can't Help Falling in Love. I also need help!(ha,ha) on where to start with The Beatles. I know of some of their albumns, though I don't know which are any good. I quite like Paul McCartney and John Lennon's solo songs that I have heard. I would especially like to get into Lennon's work.

I'd also like to know which other Smashing Pumpkins albums are good, I already have Siamese Dream.

If you want more bombast and overblown tracks with a zillion guitar tracks, venture into Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. This is their double-disc monster with all the accouterments of mid-90's production values. The amount of filler is debatable, since the happy-go-lucky fan will turn their noses at tracks like "Cupid de Locke", "Love", or the Iha track. The hardcore fans will, of course, defend everything vehemently. Regardless, that album provided mega singles like "Tonight, Tonight" , "Bullet with Butterfly Wings", and "1979." There's also some incredible deep album cuts ("Porcelina" , "Thru the Eyes of Ruby", and "X.Y.U") if you're a fan of the barnburner "Silverfuck."

However, if what you're looking for is "Siamese Dream Part Deux" then I would suggest checking out Piscese Iscariot. This was a b-sides/outtakes compilation that had a lot of the material for the Siamese Dream era. "Hello Kitty Kat", "Pissant" and "Frail and Bedazzled" are some of the best Pumpkins tracks never heard and the infinite "Starla" (originally a b-side to "I Am One") is text book softLOUDsoftREALLYFUCKINGLOUD.

Also, go backwards to Gish and the lull ep. This the pumpkins aping a more psychedelic sound, and is not as "shoegazey" as Siamese Dream nor as "robotic" as Machina and everything they would do afterward. Finally, go find the Singles soundtrack. While the Pumpkins were the only non-Seattle band, they did get lumped into that category in the early 90's (mainly because of Gish). Their one contribution to the soundtrack, "Drown" is delicious, and the soundtrack version provides the extended feedback coda that was edited out on the Greatest Hits release.

If you decide you like the "different" sound they attempt on a lot of the Mellon Collie material, then by all means try some of the later albums. Adore is the sound of a band without a crucial component, and it definitely shows. Everything is lush, with a lot of acoustic work. Machina: The Machines of God and Zeitgeist are probably not worth it unless you have a serious jones for Corgan in full on nasal whine mode trying to desperately recreate the sound he nailed so hard with "Zero." These are mostly average tracks with a few nods toward genius. Machina II (their free-internet release, before that sort of thing became widely popular) probably has better material that both Machina and Zeitgeist combined. The second disc of Rotten Apples (their greatest hits), titled Judas 0 has some of the tracks from that release.

OK, that was longer than necessary.

TL;DR ... go backwards from Siamese Dream to get arguably the respected aspect of the Pumpkins career. Go forward if you want a taste of why Corgan is so reviled by a lot of people, but yet still strangely adored by the masses.

Addenum: The Areoplane Flies High can be found mega-cheap used, and is the singles/b-sides collection from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. So, you get all the excellent singles from that album, plus some great b-sides as well.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

pipian posted:

Where should I go for similar music to glam after having binged through Bowie, T. Rex and Roxy Music?

Honestly, you hit on the key players from that movement. Anything else would just be pale imitations of that. You might find the Lou Reed stuff he did tasty, although the glam reference might not be as obvious than say Bowie's glam material. Alice Cooper's early work plays with the glam idea a lot, but with a "creepy" twist. However, his tongue is still firmly in planted in someone's cheek.

If you're looking for modern (or at least more recent) artists faithful to the Glam Church, then you might check out some of these:

Bauhaus ... The influences are there, (see covers of "Telegram Sam" and "Ziggy Stardust") just skewed with some post-punk aesthetic. Ignore their connection to "Goth" and check out tracks like "Spirit", "The Passion of Lovers", "Sanity Assassin", or "Slice of Life."

Placebo ... a friend in need is a friend indeed, a friend with weed is better. Placebo provides the androgyny, gender loving, and excess in one quaint brit-pop package. They have a lot of albums (plus the requisite bonus disc of covers featuring "20th Century Boy"), and mostly remain under the radar. The sound might be the closest to what you seek, however.

Other artists, (and this is just pure wiki'ing here) ... Blondie, Suede, Soft Cell (at least go check out "Sex Dwarf").

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Self Important posted:

This one's kinda big, but where do I start with hip hop that isn't all "bitches and money"?

Eh, that's sorta easy. Just look for any of the stuff favored "backpacker hip-hop" set. I'm not even remotely in touch with the subject, but I can ding off the following for you to seek.

Del the Funky Homosapien - Deltron 3030
Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Dead Prez - Let's Get Free

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pissing Art posted:

Where do I start with The Legendary Pink Dots?

Crushed Velvet Apocalypse is so very silky solid the entire way through. From there, go forwards or backwards. Whatever you find available. They have such a huge output, every album is going to have a gem or two.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Can anyone suggest a starting point for Elliot Smith? I sort of ignored his albums back when he was around, but now I'm intrigued to dive in and find out what the fuss was all about.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

Where would be the best place to start with Depeche Mode? I've heard their songs here and there, and they're somehow similar to Massive Attack's Mezzanine (I might be very wrong here)

So, which album is their darkest, heaviest?

I can only speak to things up to and including Songs of Faith and Devotion. Perhaps their latter material possibly references some of the things happening on Mezzanine, but for the most part the sounds of the two bands don't intersect all that much. Mezzanine is candles, red wine, damp silk, sweat, and heat. Depeche Mode records are much more dorm room shimmer. Anyway, if you haven't heard much Depeche Mode I'd suggest looking to Black Celebration for "dark." Granted, the album came out in 1986 so don't expect trip-hop beats and evil guitars intertwined. As far as heavy, Songs of Faith and Devotion had some full on gee-tar, but the song was pretty goofy. "Walking in my Shoes" from that album could possibly fulfill any Massive Attack fantasies you might have. The latter albums post-Alan Wilder are supposedly more atmospheric and might get you closer to the Mezzanine sound you desire.

Edit: I never really answered where to start. If you want a one-stop collection of songs you'll recognize then pick up one of their multiple Singles collections. If you're looking for a full album experience, Violator is arguably their peak and certainly received a phenomenal amount of attention. From their, you could work backwards and check out Music for the Masses and the aforementioned Black Celebration. Those three albums are the probably DM's answer to the Cure's "dark trilogy."

hatelull fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 19, 2009

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

May as well drive the point home further, Another Green World and Ambient 1.

As the final nail in Brian Eno's coffin, I recently got into Here Come the Warm Jets and find it terribly engaging. Until this point, I've only been familiar with Eno through the albums he did with Bowie and that U2 album Unforgettable Fire. Here Come the Warm Jets is definitely worth seeking out as well.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

Alright, I've got all of his Velvet Underground stuff, what do I do after if I want some more Lou Reed?

edit: And, while I'm in the mood, how about where to start for The Rolling Stones? Just a Greatest Hits thing, or do I need any particular album?

edit2: I've been really deprived. I'm gonna add David Bowie, Pet Shop Boys and New Order to my list of poo poo I need to listen to.

I'm not by any means a Lou Reed expert, but you probably can't go wrong with checking out Transformer. I suppose if you want to employ that smug emoticon, you could go dive into Metal Machine Music and post about how genius it is.

For me, The Stones were at their prime in that era from '68 - '73 where albums like Let it Bleed, Beggar's Banquet and Goats Head Soup were recorded. There are a few choice singles that dropped after that, but I've pretty much ignored them after 1981 and Tattoo You. If you're looking for individual records, then the albums from the aforementioned era might satisfy your curiosity. However, with a band like the Stones who have such an expansive discography I'm pretty comfortable with just suggesting a greatest hits thing. The Hot Rocks double disc is an excellent compilation and might possibly be everything you would ever want from the band.

For the Pet Shop Boys and New Order (both I think have been mentioned here), their individual Greatest Hits collections are an excellent starting point, and again are probably all you need. As mentioned multiple times in this thread, Substance for New Order is a great place to start and Discography: The Complete Singles Collection for the Pet Shop Boys are rammed up with some of the strongest synth-pop ever created. If you're looking for singular LP's, then seek out Power, Corruption, & Lies, Brotherhood, and Technique for New Order (for starters). As for the Pet Shop Boys, my favorites were Actually and Behaviour.

David Bowie is another artist with such a plethora of albums, with a lot of different "phases", that it's hard to pin point the one "must hear" staring place. The recent double disc Greatest Hits thing is an excellent starting point. However, I've found that pretty much everything he did up to and including Let's Dance is definitely worth hearing. As for LP's, Jump into his glam phase with the rather popular Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, and be sure to try out his "thin white duke" period brought to life by the berlin records (Low, "Heroes, and Lodger). Those latter LP's are great for the full on BOWIE DOING COKE! phase

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 12, 2009

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

redphoenix11 posted:

Actually the Berlin trilogy was when Bowie partially cleaned up. Station to Station (which is a great album) was when he was The Thin White Duke and coked out of his mind.

The Berlin trilogy is just weird because he was also hanging out with Brian Eno, Iggy Pop, Robert Fripp, and Adrian Belew.

I'd say get Scary Monsters before diving into Station to Station and the Berlin trilogy because while it's more of a new wave record (and dated production-wise) it is a pretty good summation and application of what Bowie learned on those albums.

I always thought he recorded the trilogy while he was coked out of his mind, but I think you're right. Station to Station is the album he doesn't remember?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Burb posted:

Where would I start with Tool?

Wow, really? Ok, I'll bite.

Start with Aenima which was is, in some circles, their peak album. That album pretty much incorporates everything the band does; the self-effacing humor, the smarmy "you-do-not-deserve-to-like-this-band" meta references, and the masturbatory Bill Hicks tribute. From there, go backwards if you want the sort of metal that got blasted at the more hip frat houses all through the early 90's. Go forward if you want the inner-thinking hoodie and a beard contemplative prog-metal that sites like Pitchfork love to ridicule and decimate.

Things not on Aenima that are arguably worth hearing ...

"Undertow" off of the first LP, Undertow.
"Opiate" off of the eponymous EP.

I'm sure there are things on those last two LP's that you should hear, but I'm horrible with names for those. Look at the second or third track from Lateralus, and a better part of 10,000 Days except the silly alien song.

Oh, Salival has a honest live version of "Push It" that might be neat once you hear the studio version on Aenima.

That was way too wordy for a simple question. Sorry.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 6, 2010

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Final Fart Buttball posted:

Where do I start with Bad Religion? I was clicking through Wikipedia reviews of their albums and it looks like the first handful until the mid-90's are the best bets. Is this right?

Start with Suffer, which is quality so-cal punk with plenty of "oozin aahs" for your sing along harmony fetish. Then move on to No Control which finds Graffin growing more into his "Thesaurus punk" lyrics. Then I highly recommend taking a step back and check out the debut ep How Could Hell Be Any Worse (which is easily obtained on the 80-85 compilation) to give you an idea of what they're sound was like before their "hiatus" that occured pre-Suffer. Besides, "We're Only Gonna Die", "gently caress Armageddon... This is Hell", and the bro-core anthem "Along the Way" are classics. After that, move forward through Against the Grain (where the original version of "21st Century Digital Boy" can be found), Generator, and Recipe for Hate. That should prepare you nicely for Stranger than Fiction which is arguably their most successful album. The three singles "Stranger than Fiction", "Infected", and a newer version of "21st Century Digital Boy" got a decent amount of air play. It's also their jump to a major. After that, founding member Gurewitz left to run Epitaph, start a band, and be a junkie. The albums post-Gurewitz departure show a steady decline in quality. The Grey Race is passing but ultimately forgettable, and No Substance is quite possibly their worst record since the truly awkward Into the Unknown. Gurewitz came back for The Process of Belief after a guest spot on a New America track and has continued to record with the band. However, the last few records are nothing extraordinary. It's still the same recycled "Chomsky-lite" which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just not as exciting as those early records from the 80's and early 90's.

They have a few compilations, so if you're worried about picking up full albums All Ages captures a lot of the quality tracks they did from the Epitaph years. Tested is a cool live album, taken from a slew of shows, but it's got stuff from The Grey Race too, and Gurewitz has left the band at that point. Check it out only if you're interested in live albums (which is sort of like listening to a party you weren't invited to attend).

Ok, this was long winded so I apologize for the novella length post. I sort of got enamored with these guys back in 1991 and followed them (lately as a guilty pleasure) ever since.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 28, 2010

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

One addendum: 80-85 is out of print now and has been supplanted by the remastered version of How Could Hell Be Any Worse, which has the same tracklisting as 80-85. I personally don't like the remaster of it as much as the original, but I haven't heard any of the other remasters, so I can't comment on their quality (everything pre-Recipe For Hate got remastered and reissued a few years back; if you buy them new that's the version they'll be, although plenty of used copies of the originals are still around.)

Are those classic Epitaph LP's different in the remaster? Worth hearing? I've forever had the pre-remastered CD versions and never bothered to buy the albums again.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Consultant posted:

i caught a bit of the Cowboy Bebop movie on tv the other day and realized i really liked this tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bItZ49PZ8HY

what kind of country is this? can anyone sort me out here, i like this!

Sounds fairly rockabilly. A quick google search proves that the song was recorded by The Seat Belts, who apparently are Japanese jazz/blues band that did music for the show. Probably a guest vocalist.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Where do I start with post-Faith No More Mike Patton?

I guess that depends on what you're looking for, really. The man's done everything from aggressive rock (see Tomahawk and the ep he did with the Dillinger Escape Plan to some electronica fused trip-hop ala Peeping Tom. There's some stuff he's done with John Zorn and the Fantômas thing. So, you've got that range of traditional to experimental to choose from. Personally, I like the Peeping Tom album quite a bit. He's got some keen guest stars, and tracks like this make the album for me.

I'm not familiar with the majority of his work, having heard little of the Tomahawk or the John Zorn stuff. Fantômas can be fun in a creepy sort of way. The album where they just cover movie themes like "The Omen" or "Rosemary's Baby" makes for great Halloween music and their joint venture with The Melvins is worth checking out too.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

the Bunt posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks for this. Why did they depart from this sound!?

a) 1991 came and went, and 90's alternative burns a glorious funeral pyre every day on modern rock radio stations

b) Frusciante decided the huge sudden fame sucked and wanted to be a junkie instead. He probably would have remained in that position had he not realized the band were going to replace him with Navarro. Unfortunately, he lost his junkie powers when he got sober. So go the powers, so go the sound.

c) Change or die?

d) They never really departed. Most every album has been the steady brand of funkish themed rock. It's just that they realized what singles worked and which ones didn't?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TheNintenGenius posted:

Yeah I've heard that Face to Face is good but I haven't given it a listen myself, and I didn't really want to recommend something I hadn't actually heard yet.

The first couple of Face to Face albums are pretty ok if you want that so-cal punk vibe very much along the lines of NOFX or Bad Religion (but without the humor of the former or the Chomsky-lite of the latter). Check out Big Choice for their big major label (Victory) release, and Don't Turn Away for the original raw fan favorite. Big Choice sounds more polished and includes their minor hit "Disconnected" and a cover of "Bikeage." Don't Turn Away in my opinion, has better songs and the original version of "Disconnected."

After that your mileage may vary, but I was sort of done with them after Big Choice.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Eeep, color me medicated with shades of comprehension failure.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Fuklaw posted:

Where do I start with Phish? Or The Wildhearts? The Hold Steady?

The Hold Steady only have a relatively small amount of LP's, and all of them are pretty ok to great. However, I'd start with Separation Sunday, and then if you like what you hear check out Almost Killed Me and Boys and Girls in America. If that doesn't sate your jones for songs about teens doing teen stuff, go pick up the other two.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Lips have a lot of material. You'll probably recognize "She Don't Use Jelly" off of Transmissions from the Satellite Heart. If you like indie-ish psychdelic rock then check out that album and go backwards, where they get noisier. I could be wrong on the noiser though, as I haven't checked out their back catalog in forever.

The Soft Bulletin put them on the map for airy, exquisitely produced pop for headphone junkies. However, if this is your first taste of them I'd skip that and go straight to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, which is what mean claim as their masterpiece.

From there, dig into the catalog until you get bored. Also, check out their collaboration with Stardeath and White Dwarfs wherein they cover Dark Side of the Moon.

Unfortunately, all I know from King Crimson is In the Court of the Crimson King but that's a great record so you could probably do worse.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

KevinHeaven posted:

Get Substance, its a 2 disc compilation of their best songs from about 1981-87. If that's not enough, get Power, Corruption and Lies as well as Brotherhood.

These guys come up a lot, and it's always this (very much correct) advice. Their back catalog is mostly superb, although I recommend stopping at Technique. That was their last truly great record. Republic is interesting from a "Downfall of Factory Records" perspective, and it contains the last classic genius single they would ever record. Everything after (and including a lot of the Republic tracks, and I like that record more than I should) just sounds like phoned in gay disco.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Sheriff Falc posted:

Where would people recommend I start on with Blind Melon and Alice in Chains? I've been a grunge fan for a while and it's increasingly been getting my goat that I've never really given either of these bands as much attention as they deserve.

Aside from the extremely overplayed "Man in the Box", and mostly overlooked "We Die Young" their first album Facelift is incredibly mundane and irritating hair metal. There's a great song in the opener, but for the most part you can ignore the album. Dirt is probably their best contribution to that flanneled 90's sound, and is definitely a nice thick slab of junkie rock. I would so very much start here. I was never a fan of the tree legged dog self-titled album, but your mileage may vary.

Aside from Dirt I strongly suggest you seek out the two mostly acoustic ep's Sap and Jar of Flies. Some of the band's best work outside of Dirt can be found here. Their MTV Unplugged release is pretty keen as well, especially since it does wonders to showcase the harmonies Cantrell and Stayley put into the songs.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Handen posted:

Like, is there an underground top 100 for Psytrance that I can browse to find what I like?

I think this is listed as Goa, but honestly I'm not sure what the difference is between Goa and Psytrance. It's a good compilation and will probably turn you on to some people to look for and investigate things associated therein.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Personally, I think The Doors is one of those bands where you can absolutely start with the greatest hits. If you like the stuff you hear, then go for the albums. There are definitely deep album gems in their catalog, but the 2-Disc greatest hits collection does a great job in capturing all their "eras."

If you're starting with the albums, you can't go wrong with just starting at the beginning and moving forward. Take care around The Soft Parade, because aside from the title track it's mostly an abysmal record. However, their last two LP's following that are golden.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Cosmic Horror posted:

Maybe I should relisten to The Soft Parade because I remember liking it. Might be the lens of nostalgia, though.

It sounds crazy over-indulgent and "OMFG WE NEED MORE HORNS" studio wankery to me. The title track is indulgent to be sure, but at least Morrison sells it. The popular single from that record, "Touch Me" is probably my least favorite Doors song ever.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Where do I start with The Hold Steady?

Any of those first three albums are a solid and worthy starting point. Personally, I enjoy Separation Sunday, but if you want the full effect in terms of some reoccurring characters or ideas then you might as well start with Almost Killed Me and work your way forward.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

KevinHeaven posted:

You should get "Locust Abortion Technician" and the self-titled EP, then if you like that stuff, get "Psychic.... Powerless.... Another Mans Sac." But if you don't like any of these albums, you could get their more "mainstream" stuff like "Independent Worm Saloon" and "Electriclarryland." But personally these albums are much less interesting...

Honestly, I would stop with Independent Worm Saloon. They peaked (teehee) with Hairway to Steven.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Incoherence posted:

For lack of a better place to start, just go in chronological order from De-Loused in the Comatorium. If you ask a bunch of Mars Volta fans they'll probably mention at least three and possibly all five of their albums as their personal favorite, so best not to get into that.

Seconding this. That first full length is probably the safest bet, as it's probably the most controlled (for lack of a better word). If you find yourself enjoying their particular brand of psychedelia, then move forward.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Grateful Dead?

It's been mentioned before, but the Dead were notoriously known for their absolutely jammy live shows. If you want to dive right into that, you might try Europe '72. If a studio LP is your game, American Beauty or the Skeletons from the Closet compilation offer decent starting points. I am by no means a Dead Head, so I suppose someone that has a better pair of Birkenstocks and maybe smells like patchouli can offer some advice.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Chinaski posted:

For years I've had the Oasis song "Half the World Away" in my collection, and it struck me tonight how much I like that song. I don't think I've ever heard another Oasis song. What's a good album to check out, with that song in mind?

What's the Story Morning Glory? is a solid starting point for something in the same "era" as that song. "Half the world away" was a theme song for some British tv show according to Wikipedia, and originally a b-side to "Whatever" which was off the first album. I went with What's the Story Morning Glory? since it has some supremely excellent tracks. However, since the A-Side to the song you are enamored with was on their first album, Definitely Maybe that is a quite viable alternative.

If you find yourself immediately in love with the band after those two albums, then move forward in the discography. However, I always felt their quality took a sharp drop after those first two LPs, although they regain some of their power with b-sides and deep album cuts from later releases. The third album Be Here Now might be interesting to you just to hear what a fuckton of coke and a "We Are the Gods of British Music" mentality will do to a record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

The Soft Parade is the least of the Morrison Doors albums, and it goes without saying that you should skip the post-Morrison Different Voices.

The Soft Parade was always the sound of a coked up band that hated each other in the studio. I've only listened to the album in its entirety twice maybe, but the title track is definitely worth checking out if only for the goofy WTFBBQ factor.