Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

If memories of music history in college plus conversations with my father-in-law serve me right, Bach was running that Baroque game. Maybe check out his Brandenburg stuff? Also, Vivaldi's Four Seasons was definitely a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Where do I start with goth rock? I'm a big Type O Negative fan and wanted to explore some of the goth stuff without the metal part. I know of Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, the Cure, and Bauhaus, where do I go from there?

I mean, you covered all the major players (arguably, Joy Division were post-rock but that's a different orange to peel). You might consider diving into the Siouxie and the Banshee catalog, since your initial heavy hitters are lacking that female presence. If you really dig on the classic Sisters sound, go check out The Mission (the band ex-Sisters Wayne Hussey formed) or The March Violets.

You might slip into the Death Rock area, and check out Christian Death. Only Theater of Pain and Catastrophe Ballet are pretty great albums, and those guys were huge in the early 80's American goth scene. .45 Grave might be worth a listen as well.

The first Clan of Xymox nestles in nicely next to the more danceable Cure and Sisters stuff while still maintaining that lovable batty aesthetic. From there, check out some of the more swirly sounds? Early Cocteau Twins and definitely early Dead Can Dance will sate your cravings for cloves and crushed velvet, and the 4AD house band This Mortal Coil had some stellar material as well.

After that, the genre tends to blend and melt into other things (industrial, darkwave, etc). There were still some bands that did their thing in the 90's and flew that flag. London After Midnight comes to mind but I don't have much experience with their catalog.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

All of the albums up to that point are monsters. If you want a nice drive-thru of the early classic material, Standing on the Beach is an excellent compilation record. Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me is the album directly preceding Disintegration and it's got a couple of the most popular overplayed singles but still has some stellar deep cuts. Otherwise, I second the notion of just digging into all the LPs and EPs up that Disintegration. Post '89, your mileage will DEFINITELY vary. Wish wasn't bad, but god drat does it have one of my most hated tracks. All the stuff after that, in my opinion, is less memorable attempts at poppier fare and none of the albums hold as much weight as a whole compared to the earlier material. There's a few standout tracks, but nothing really returns to form until Bloodflowers and by that point I found myself not be super vested in the band.

Stick with the classics. They never go out of style.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Iron and Wine?

Our Endless Numbered Days would be my choice, but only because I like the production over the very much "I did this all on a 4-track in my home" sound that The Creek Drank the Cradle has.

From there, go check out The Shepherd's Dog for a slightly more "plugged in" sound. Both of the two early records are arguably gorgeous mostly acoustic albums, while the third LP gets a bit more livelier.

After that, keep going forward for more of the same. Do check out the b-sides collection for some great cover work.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

DasNeonLicht posted:

Here's a serious blindspot for me in my command of 1990s bands — where do I start with The Smashing Pumpkins? Looks like they were pretty much on fire from 1991–1995?

Seconding the Siamese Dream recommendation, it's arguably one of the best albums of the 90's. Don't sleep on Gish (the first LP and carries more of a late 60's 70's classic rawk psychedelic sound) and the b-sides collection Pisces Iscariot as well. There are some excellent tracks on those records, and Pisces Iscariot holds up well enough to be a full album on its own even if it really is just b-sides and (at that time) unreleased tracks.

After MCIS, Corgan sort of crawls up his own rear end. He put out some middling to pretty great work (Adore is a good record honest) after the 2 disc sprawl that was Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness but the quality and content is DEFINITELY not of the same caliber.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Thank you. I'm not sure why I connect them in my mind, but can anyone recommend a good starting point for Placebo as well? I think I'm trying to channel the older alternative kids I looked up to back then.

I'd dig in to their first two records. The self titled has some solid bangers ("Nancy Boy", "36 Degrees", and Coming Home"), while Without You I'm Nothing kicks off with the instantly recognizable stoner by way of T-Rex anthem "Pure Morning."

hatelull fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 26, 2018

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

His early work has a handful of late 80's/early 90's "hit alternative singles." If you're not too concerned about missing deep cuts off his first solo LP, then I'd jump in at Bona Drag. It was his second official release, but still has some heavy weight with "Suedehead" and "Everyday is Like Sunday" along with "November Spawned a Monster", and "Last of the Famous International Playboys." The thing about Morrissey solo, in my opinion, is that it took some trial and error before he settled on a sound that worked. It's readily apparent in his early releases what Marr was bringing to the table with The Smiths.

Your Arsenal brings a fully realized band to the table, and it's easily one of his most consistent sounding solo records. Definitely worth a listen. Vauxhall and I is probably my favorite solo release from him, with some stellar tracks ("Spring-Heeled Jim", "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself", "Speedway", and the opener "Now My Heart is Full" are all super good) and not really a bad moment on the record for me.

Post Vauxhall and I it really depends on how much you want to crawl up the Mozzer's arse. The follow up Southpaw Grammar was really weird, with some 10+ minute tracks heavy on instrumental passages. I remember owning Maladjusted and it being ultimately forgettable with a few tracks about Morrissey's pissiness over the legal proceedings between him and his ex-bandmates being the only thing memorable. The aughts and beyond have been hit or miss. He's settled into a glammy brit rock sound just nicely, but other than a few singles nothing every really heart hard for me.

TL;DR - Go for Bona Drag if you want the classic singles from his early solo output. Check out Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and for solid song writing. Keep digging into the later LP's and SEVERAL compilations if you just can't get enough of the dude.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

me your dad posted:

Are there any more industrial bands doing stuff similar to Last Rights?
Also, where do I start with PIL?

I mean, even Puppy themselves didn't really return to the "sonic sculpture" stuff they channeled on that record. You might check out Wasted Sky or Death on the Installment Plan from Numb. Those guys were Canadian peers and probably influenced by the same styles and scene. Dead When I Found Her also has a Skinny Puppy patch on his sleeve, but I'm not sure if any of those will scratch that Last Rights itch because that LP is just on another level. Go seek out "Left Handshake" if you haven't heard it. It might at least give you some closure on the record (Where is Track 10?)

quote:

Also, where do I start with PIL?

If you're you're not up for diving in at the first LP, maybe go with This Is What You Want... This Is What You Get? It's got a few tracks you might recognize.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Where do I start with...

[Quicksand

They only have three LP's. Their first album, Slip is a necessary slab of post-hardcore awesomeness. The follow up, Manic Compression is just as deadly.

After that, they broke up. If you really like the lead singers voice and his guitar tones go check out Rival Schools. If you're a completionist Quicksand reformed last year and released a third record to very mixed reviews.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 12, 2019

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I like Rival Schools a bunch, both the video game and band!

You might find that Manic Compression leans a bit toward the slightly more "poppy" sound (if you want to call it that) of Rival Schools where Slip is just THIIICCCCCCCCCCCCK.

Compare:

Slip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egzF66hDkFs

to

Manic Compression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmvbiuzMcWs

Both are way more heavy than the Rival Schools albums though and highly recommended.

Those CD's never left my car for that whole decade.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Recommendations for other (any?) EBM bands that have the aggression and punk intensity of Youth Code.

Youth Code (for me) took a lot of influence from the early Nitzer Ebb records. You might check out That Total Age or Belief. 3TEETH might tickle your fancy as well, although I find them sort of one note. Front 242 while more danceable is also a legacy artists that might scratch that itch.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

hexwren posted:

I particularly love the In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up video (especially the dual-drummer intro---I'd love to see that beat get resurrected by Bill Rieflin's current group) but that is about as solid a Ministry answer as you can get.

I was so happy when he released another live set from that tour. I had the live CD for In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up forever, but it was neutered compared to the video. No Breathe, and also no pledge for Biafra plus "Land of Rape and Honey."

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Killing Joke?

I am likely not seeing TOOL on this recent tour, but seeing the opener made me realize I not super familiar with these guys other than the association with Martin Atkins and hearing "Love Like Blood" a few times in my blurry college days.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Depeche Mode?

Violator is solid for sure. Nine track album, and 4 of those were banger popular singles (and "Halo" coulda shoulda been a 5th). Music for the Masses was the lead up and it's got some monsters on it as well. Black Celebration will always and forever be my number one.

I would suggest giving Violator a shot, and then either of the two others I mentioned. If you like those, then work backwards in the discography or dive into Catching up With … which is a pretty excellent singles compilation of their early years.

Post Violator it can get kinda funky or just boring depending on your level of interest.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Junpei posted:

All I know about TLC is No Scrubs, Waterfalls, and Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg? Is there anything else good?

CrazySexyCool was HUGE. You might try that one if you're looking to dive into a full length.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Controlled Bleeding and Coil?

For Coil, you might start with the more accessible material. Love's Secret Domain is a stellar record and bounces around between the alternative/industrial dance of the early 90's and some more electronica oriented sound. Go backwards to Horse Rotovator and Scatology if you like what you hear.

For more experimental "magik" fare, maybe skip forward to Musick to Play in the Dark (2 volumes). This will be more ambient droney flavors. Finally, a few of their latter era releases are worth hearing particularly their last studio album The Ape of Naples and The New Backwards.

There are some deep dives that might pique your interest as well. Time Machines is a straight up drone record meant to create "temporal slips." If you're a Nine Inch Nails fan, Recoiled is a four track EP that further deconstructs a few Downward Spiral tracks, similar to the remix of theirs that appeared on Fixed.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 6, 2020

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Junpei posted:

Since these two bands are linked: Joy Division and New Order

Easy answer: Both bands put out a compilation titled Substance. Start with those. If you like what you hear, dig into the studio albums. Easy for Joy Division, since as they mentioned they only had two LPs. For New Order, all the early records up to an including Technique are bangers. They lose the plot ever so slightly with Republic, which correlated with the demise of Factory Records and the band fracturing due to inner turmoil. They wouldn't put out another record for 8 years, and everything released since has been supremely derivative.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Without cheating and simply posting the entire medley from Abbey Road, I think “You Never Give Me Your Money” and “Carry That Weight” are sorely lacking in your list.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Best place to start would be asking for consent. You can start with just holding hands and looking in each others' eyes, and then slowly move in.

Oh the band? Start with Kiss Alive as a good overview of their biggest stuff, it has a lot of energy and is considered one of the best live albums of all time.

Way I heard it, Alive is apparently both a stellar live album and a testament to studio recording as well ...

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

me your dad posted:

Now that they're on Spotify: Spacemen 3?

If you want ambient drone similar to coil's Time Machines go with DreamWeapon.

Looking at Spotify, and it's definitely more than has been available in the past but still somewhat neutered. Playing with Fire is solid, with "Lord Can You Hear Me?" and "Revolution" being live favorites. The former got covered by Low and the Pierce liked it so much he recorded it with Spiritualized for Let It Come Down.

Forged Prescriptions is fun, but it's sort of an unofficial b-sides outtakes release of Perfect Prescription which is typically my go to Spacemen 3 record.

Taking Drugs ... is a demo compilation so interesting if you want less structure and more early druggy jams?

Recurring is a strange beast since it's their last official studio recording and definitely has the framework of their split. I think maybe one or two songs they collaborated on? I'm not much for live albums honestly, but Spacemen3 were supposed to be brilliant live and could never capture that sound in studio so that live album might scratch an itch for you as well.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Junpei posted:

George Michael's post-Wham! music?

Faith has the obvious "everywhere in the late 80's" singles but Songs of Faith and Devotion Vol. I was pretty solid. After that he drops into schmaltz pretty quickly.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

You might dig into Townes Van Zandt. He was an early player in that scene. Check out the Heartworn Highway documentary.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Tad Naff posted:

For me, I need more stuff like Gojira: heavy, complex drums, lyrically not shock-oriented and preferably half-intelligent. Rivers of Nihil is close.

You're probably better served venturing into the Metal thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433957) and getting overwhelmed with suggestions, but I'll at least give you a small seed to start your journey.

Check out The Ocean. Gojira/djenty, and the lyrics are not terribly shock oriented. All the albums have a geological theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6hRFcVZFlA

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

For Monk I like the aforementioned Straight, No Chaser and Monk's Dream. Also, his album with Coltrane is pretty great.

For live Monk, maybe check out Paris, 1969?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

re: Pet Shop Boys

You want Please, Actually, and Behaviour. Those three LPs will get you the bulk of stone cold classics and phenomenal deep cuts from their peak period.

Alternatively, go seek out the extremely rewarding compilation Discography which compiles the bulk of singles.

"Being Boring" is a stellar side one track one, so at least listen to that one.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Don't hate on "Little Dark Age"! That track is super solid.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I have a Pandora station I curate for psychy fuzz type stuff. "Anemone" makes it into that algorithm on the regular. You might start with Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request and then work from there if you like what you hear. I'm not an expert, did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think their albums followed the same track as the Dandys. Early stuff was good, but it gets progressivly more anemic as the albums go. They have considerably more albums that their rivals though.

By the doc, did you mean Dig!?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It was not my scene, but pretty sure the video for "Baby One More Time" pushed her into stardom at lightspeed. 1999 and that video was playing on MTV 24/7. Combine it with the romance between her at JT and it was arguably a sensation created for MTV by MTV. She had a solid amount of singles from the albums before "Toxic", a formidable amount of videos and a starring role in a movie. She was everywhere.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I would also recommend his work with Greg Dulli (The Afghan Whigs). He's got background and lead vocals on several tracks from The Twilight Singers and he recorded a full album with Dulli as The Gutter Twins.

Here's a cover of Massive Attack's "LIve With me" from a Twilight Singers EP. Lanegan on lead vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smI5U_cEXnA

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Where should I dig in for Modern Jazz?

I've done deep dives into the big lists from the pervious eras. Your Coltranes, Davis, Monk, Mingus, et al. However, my only real experiences with modern artists outside of Kasami Washington is that truly amazing LP from Nala Sinephro that came out last year.

I like the noisy jazz stuff artists like Zorn would do, but not really looking for that sort of action specifically. Anything else, I'm game. What'cha got?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Where do I start with the Old 97s?

I like their 90's output the best. Check out Wreck Your Life, Too Far to Care and Fight Songs. There's a Rhino compilation that works as a Best of (Hit By a Train) if you want a drive by tour of their output. That dropped in 2006 though, so doesn't include the more recent material.

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but where to start with Killing Joke?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 24, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I can take a stab at it ...

For the studio albums:

The early material pre Starfish is definitely playing around in some jangly pop and 60's psychedelia. The first three records all have some classics in their own right though, with tracks like "The Unguarded Moment", "Almost With You", and "Electric Lash" as early singles and staples in live sets. Heyday is the album just before Starfish and the paisley shirts on the cover should tell you all you need to know. Heyday is probably my low key second favorite and has a most excellent Side One/Track One with "myrrh." Definitely worth checking out if you like what you hear on Starfish

After Starfish it might get hit or miss for you. Gold Afternoon Fix is a weird one. The drummer bailed and some of the songs definitely take a darker tone. Still, it's got another killer side one track one with "pharoah" and "Metropolis" was an alt-radio single for a hot minute. "Are You Still Beautiful?", "Laughing" an album closer "Grind" are worth hearing.

After Gold Afternoon Fix we get Priest=Aura and if you don't pay attention to anything else in this low effort post give this album a listen. For me, this is the absolute apex for this band. It's all slightly lower peaks and valleys from this point forward. It's a monster of a record and everything just slays. This is a HEAVY drug use record and it shows. It's textured, gorgeous, and sadly didn't do much in terms of sales. "Ripple" was an MTV 120 Minutes play for a hot second but that's about it. "Lustre" from this album is easily in my top three Church songs.

The follow up, Sometime Anywhere had the original guitarist (Koppes) leave and the band was just Marty Wilson-Piper and Steve Kilbey. It's a weird album. There are a few great songs, but there's also straight up "gently caress it I'm just gonna mess around in the studio" things like "Angelica." Some solid deep cuts ("My Little Problem", and "Two Places at Once"but easily the album I listen to the least of the early material.

Magician Among the Spirits sounds like a band that might be releasing their last record. I think their label status was unknown and Wilson-PIper and Kilbey were in a weird head space anyway. It has some good stuff. Opener "Welcome" is slick and the droney meditative title track is definitely worth your time. However, the album comes off as disjointed as a whole for me.

Hologram of Baal rounds out the 90's. They fall into a familiar groove here that they keep to this day. The bonus disc for this had Bastard Universe which is really fun if you're into hearing the band do improvisational studio jams for about 80 minutes.

From the aughts onward, After Everything Now This, Uninvited, Like the Clouds, and Untitled #23 could be worth checking out if you're still into exploration.

Compilations, et al
There are a few things here that might pique your interest as well.

El Momento Descuidado compiles acoustic versions of older songs including the obvious hit from Starfish and four new songs.
A Box of Birds is the obligatory covers album, closing with a scorching "Cortez the Killer."
A Psychedelic Symphony: Live at Sydney Opera House, is from 2014 and is the band playing songs spanning their career backed by orchestra. Really good.
Hindsight is a compilation of the early material. Probably hard to find now and I regret buying it on vinyl when I used to see it in record stores.
Under the Milky Way: The Best of the Church is your bog-standard low effort "gently caress crawling through this discography" compilation.

Stupid Anecdote:
When I was a junior in high school in the late 80's I did what ever nerdy kid would do with a home computer, play around on BBSes. I traded a dub of Louder than Bombs for a dub of Gold Afternoon Fix with this dude through the mail. I had never heard of this band and thought I was super duper in the know for playing "Metropolis" for my friends. A girl in English class then shut me down when she played "Under the Milky Way" for me and it was all over.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 3, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

I really love the Super Furry Animals remix of the FC Kahuna track Hayling and was wondering where to start with SFA if I want more of that gonzo, chaotic vibe.

I think Rings Around the World is a great entry point for peak Super Furry Animals. It runs the gauntlet of psychedelic pop songs and utter chaos. Phantom Power is the follow up and should not be missed if you enjoy what you hear on Rings Around the World.

From there I suggest either jumping forward to Dark Days/Light Years (the last album before their hiatus and the last studio offering they released), or regressing back to Radiator to get a feel of their earlier material. If you want more of a rawk power pop sound, check out Mwng (the album entirely in Welsh) or Hey Venus!

A favorite SFA song for me, just for kicks ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJWncmFQ9Q

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Continuing on the jazz tip, where should I get my feet wet with Alice Coltrane?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Long shot, but I got asked to go see Rickie Lee Jones with someone. I have not even a slight knowledge of her work.