Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

XBenedict posted:

Freedom of Choice should be the first stop, followed by New Traditionalists and Are We Not Men....

After that, it’s all “Advanced Spudboy” from there up.

Personally, New Trads is my favorite, but Freedom at least has a song it two you already know.

The other “hardcore Devotee” stuff is to taste, and not really for general consumption. However, Oh No, It’s Devo is still pretty approachable. Beyond that it gets more experimental.

I think you're doing Duty Now For the Future a bit of a disservice there, and I think it would be a classic if it was produced like the debut album was, its punk teeth feel a little filled down. I never clicked with peak-cocaine Devo, but agree "Oh No..." is maybe the end of the essential period. I did like the come back album about a decade back though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really don't know much about Bruce Springstreen other than his more popular singles - Born in the USA, Dancing in the Dark and Born to Run are the only 3 songs I know off the top of my head, what else should I check out.

It's me, the guy who is going to bring up Nebraska! Nebraska is an album I'd recommend unreservedly. It's a lot more intimate than the stadium stuff (just Bruce and an acoustic guitar I think, with some overdubs) but it blew me way away.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
quote="regulargonzalez" post="516714848"]
How about Ween?

E: also, what about Pulp -- I listened to This Is Hardcore and the impression I got was a sarcastic David Bowie. Is that the gist?
[/quote]

"Different Class" would be the key Pulp album, I'd say, so I'd second that recommendation.

Pulp are very set in British class relations of a very specific era, they're pop literate and quote from 60s and 70s pop a lot, so definitely informed by glam Bowie (there was a thrift shop glam element to certain strains of Brit Pop, but it was sadly smothered by lager and tracksuit top bullshit), but I wouldn't say its the only thing they do.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Terminally Bored posted:

Bad Music For Bad People is an unofficial compilation but it's got such a great tracklist and album cover that everyone (but the band themselves) loved it. It's got the early tracks from their Alex Chilton sessions and it's pretty much all bangers. Start from there.

Maybe it's because I'm British, but why that over "Off The Bone"? Is that still hard to come by in the States?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Where do i start with Yo La Tengo? I was talking about noise-pop with my partner and Wikipedia lists them along with basically my favourite bands, but my understanding is they become more of a quiet band later on?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Strange Cares posted:

drat, thanks for the incredibly comprehensive response! Excited to check all these out.

Nuggets is great, but if you want some more unhinged, proto-punkier garage, definitely try the mentioned "Pebbles" compilations. There's a cottage industry of these compulations, and there are diminishing returns once you're into like "Dust Volume 6: Son of The Bride of Nuggets" or whatever, but anything from Nuggets or Pebbles will have something you're after.

Also, "Black Monk Time" by The Monks and the first Sonics record, for sure for the cream of unhinged 60s garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thanks for the Ministry recs. The big three albums were in fact great.

I'd say that Filth Pig has some value (even if it's lesser than the big three). I don't think I bothered with anything after Dark Side of The Spoon.