Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
What about Buckethead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

HateTheInternet posted:

What about Buckethead?

Just throwing this out there again. He's got 25 studio albums and a ton of other side projects.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Pyramid Head posted:

Where do I start with Phish?

I'd start with Billy Breathes first for a taste of their more commercial output. Then try Junta, which has some extended jamming that is prevalent in all their live shows. For a stellar live performance, definitely get New Year's Eve 1995 - Live at Madison Square Garden.

If you're still with Phish after that, then anywhere you go from there won't be much of a surprise. The two albums they released after their brief hiatus, Round Room and Undermind, don't live up to their old standards but they're still worth checking out. And every Live Phish volume is great too, especially Volumes 13, 14, and 15 where they cover the entirety of the Beatles' White Album, the Who's Quadrophenia, and Talking Heads' Remain in Light albums respectively.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

How about The Fall for someone who hates compilation albums?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

How about Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

dailydares posted:

Look up like five or six posts dude

Oh drat, sorry. Thanks!

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

StrungOutFlip posted:

Buckethead? This guy has a shitload of albums

A lot of Buckethead sounds the same, to be honest. If you want more chill/relaxed, try (as previously recommended) Colma, Electric Tears, or Acoustic Shards. If you want frantic shredding, try Population Override or Kaleidoscalp. If you want more of an electronic sound, try Day of the Robot, Funnel Weaver, or Bermuda Triangle.

I'd stay away from Bucketheadland, Bucketheadland 2, and Giant Robot until you get more familiar.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

DaFuente posted:

I've been listening to a lot Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr lately. I really like the way they mix ambient stuff with harmonies and traditional instruments. Beyond their LP and the 2 EPs, what other bands that do this sort of thing should I be checking out?

Definitely Local Natives. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.'s album gives me major Local Natives vibes, especially Simple Girl and An Ugly Person on a Movie Screen.

Airplanes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUc7LPRzJc0
Cards & Quarters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JWYzX81ZPA

HateTheInternet fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 8, 2012

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Where do I start with David Byrne's solo career? I love pretty much every Talking Heads album but the only thing I've heard from him besides that is the St Vincent collaboration which is amazing. So which of his solo albums are worth picking up?

Definitely get The Catherine Wheel, which is a score to a Twyla Tharp project and all the non-instrumentals wouldn't sound out of place on a Talking Heads album. Also try My Life In The Bush of Ghosts, a collaboration with Brian Eno. Other than that, I personally love Uh-Oh and Feelings. If you loved the collaboration with St. Vincent then you'll probably also like Look Into The Eyeball and Growing Backwards.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

How about Robyn Hitchcock?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Where should I start with solo Julian Cope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

Any advice on what album(s) to start with for Thee Oh Sees. I've seen them live a few times and, while a lot of people have told me their albums are inferior to their lives shows, I'm in the mood to finally check out an album or two. If it matters, I couldn't tell you a single song I remember by name from their shows.

I've started digging into them myself recently and I've found that anything from The Master's Bedroom Is Worth Spending a Night In going forward is way more accessible than the earlier stuff, and it's all fantastic. Start there and work your way chronologically, you shan't be disappointed.