Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Dorepoll posted:

I heard Sweet Honey Pie by Roky Erickson, and I am in love. What next?

Don't Slander Me and Gremlins Have Pictures; amazing albums, and cover much more ground than stuff like The Evil One. Go onto "All That May Do My Rhyme" next, as it is just as wonderful, then move onto something harder like Never Say Goodbye if you're still in. Might want to pick up Easter Everywhere by the 13th Floor Elevators, also.

Biscuit! posted:

Sun City Girls
Seriously, where do I start.

Torch of The Mystics --> 330,003 Crossdressers --> Horse Cock Phepner --> Some solo stuff(Superstars of Greenwich Mean Time or one of Richard Bishop's great albums) --> Stuff like Dante's Disneyland Inferno and all the harder records. That's a pretty easy progression and not just a top 10 list or anything.

Where do I start with Ash Ra Tempel, Acid Mothers Temple(have the one with the green cover and the naked lady) and Julian Cope? also where do I go with Royal Trux after Accelerator?

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Uncle Meat posted:

Might as well get some noise rock recommendations, while I'm at it.

The Boredoms' Pop Tatari is great, although this could almost be considered punk in some aspects. It depends what you're after; great groups like Les Rallizes Denudes, Royal Trux, Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Flipper, Naked City, The Birthday Party, Half Japanese, and early Butthole Surfers could all be considered noise rock, by some, but a completely different genre by others.

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 25, 2008

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Uncle Meat posted:

I am well versed in the early ways of The Bad Seeds. :p

I'll check out the rest, though. Any albums you'd recommend?

Technetium: I'll try to check out yours as well.

Les Rallizes Denudes: 77 Live is just this wonderful psych record drenched completely in delay and feedback. The best terrorist outing of theirs is that one, while the best normal psychedelic album is Oz Days 1974. There's a song of theirs on this mix I made: http://tsammpsych.muxtape.com/

Royal Trux: If you can find it, Singles, Unreleased, and Live is perfect throughout. There's noise stuff on there, FM rock, straight improvisations and the theme from M.A.S.H strewn about upon both discs. If you can't, Twin Infinitives is the big one, and it's very noisy; comparable to Trout Mask Replica in how polarizing it is.

Jesus Lizard: Goat is a huge album. It's my favorite work of production/engineering by Albini and it's incredibly assonant and rocking for something often classified as noise rock.

Half Japanese: Sing No Evil is the perfect cross between their noise and some sort of sax-infused-improvised-pop periods, while Solar System(live) is my all around favorite of theirs. Both are equally good. Think Stooges meets The Shaggs, for both of these. If you want their straight up hilarious amateur noise stuff Half Gentlemen/Not Beasts is the one to go with.

Naked City: Torture Garden is the only great album they ever did, I think. John Zorn may seem like he's talking down to everyone in his spurting Kaoru Abe sax solos, but Yamatsuka Eye of Boredoms evens it out on every track, along with Fred Frith and I guess Bill Frisell and a million other cool people. Disorienting and heart pumping.

Those are the main ones out of that list! The rest have pretty much only one album(Flipper - Generic, Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician, etc.)

As for the rest of the Boredoms discography, they sort of switch from Noise Rock to Electronic to Krautrock to Electronic Krautrock along the way. The best of the Pop Tatari period is Chocolate Synthesizer and the best of the psychedelic stuff is Super Ae(in my opinion, anyway)

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 25, 2008

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

HAI posted:

This is basically the same thing as any "recommend me jazz" post, dood.

Charlie Parker - The Complete Dial (or Savoy or Verve) Masters
Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music vol. ? (or anything on Blue Note)
Duke Ellington - Far East Suite, some Blanton-Webster Band (Never No Lament is huge but 100% awesome)
Dizzy Gillespie - I only have comps, but you can't really go wrong with anything by this guy
Miles Davis - something from the late '50s, not necessarily Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - anything with Eric Dolphy or the Classic Quartet
Charles Mingus - The Complete Atlantic Recordings, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Eric Dolphy - all recordings which title start with "Out", most importantly "to Lunch"
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus, A Night at the Village Vanguard

Great list. I'd add "Oh Yeah" and "Tijuana Moods" to Mingus, and a bunch more later stuff to Coltrane. I'd also add Black, Beige, and Brown to Ellington as a good example of his swing-y big band huge stuff. Also, that Dolphy thing would only work if he had albums called "Out To Iron Man" and "Out To Live At The Five Spot Vol. 1."

I'd also add(this is all assuming he's including mid-to-late sixties in his inquiry);

Andrew Hill - Point of Departure. Amazing supergroup; Dolphy, Tony Williams, and some Blue Note dude I can't remember fly and coast through some of the most physically simulating post bop ever made. Close your eyes and watch your neurons jump around.
Grachan Moncur III - Evolution, and to a lesser extent Some Other Stuff.
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come. Not my favorite of his, but undoubtedly his most important.
Lee Morgan - Sidewinder
Sam Rivers - Contours
Pharaoh Sanders - Karma
Archie Shepp - Fire Music
Sun Ra - Sound of Joy, We Travel the Spaceways, Atlantis, The Batman Album
Jaki Byard - The Jaki Byard Experience

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Scythe posted:

What do I do with Sun City Girls? I've already got (and really enjoy) Torch of the Mystics and 330,003 Crossdressers from Beyond the Rig Veda. From what I've been reading, I should get Dante's Disneyland Inferno next. Am I on the right track? What should I do after that?

Forget reading allmusic for reccs for Sun City Girls, it's pretty much worthless and they've barely reviewed anytihng. Dante's Disneyland Inferno is fairly boring, especially after those first two records you listed. What a great time to ask about this, though: they just put out a new singles collection called You're Never Alone With A Cigarette and it's one of the best things I've ever heard by them. After that, now:

Horse Cock Phepner for the best of their earlier stuff and a generally hilarious Fugs-like experience throughout.
Hi Asia/Low Pacific is their most eastern influenced work. I don't think there's any guitar on Hi Asia besides a couple of parts and most of it is replaced by shamisen and I think tambura and crazy stuff like that. That's not a bad thing at all.
Grotto of Miracles and Self Titled, as mentioned by HAI, is one great pair.
Live From Planet Boomerang is their normal live album, and it's really great. Amazon One rules on here.
Sumatran Electric Chair is amazing, Jack's Creek is the hillbilly album, Kalilflower and Valentines From Malahari are like nothing else they ever did, Djinn's Funnel is good, etc. There's really so much to get. You can find most of this(alot is out of print) on music blogs, just google the titles.

For solo outings, Uncle Jim's Superstars of Greenwich Meantime is one of my favorite things to ever come out of anything SCG related and Sir Richard Bishop's 2007 combo is really potent.

Even more, If you want to dive deeper into SCG Torch-era sounding stuff check out the Neokarma Jooklo Trio for some shaman music madness. And I've been enjoying Jin Hi Kim's Komungo work, which definitely reminds me of Richard Bishop, it's really inspiring if you're into harmonics and timbres in psychedelia and all that.

I hope all this helps. Enjoy one of the best bands of the past 20 years. I heard they threw Charles Gocher's ashes on the crowd when they played Manhattan the other day..

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 22, 2008