Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

cryme posted:

Zen Arcade and New Day Rising are probably all you need.
Not by a longshot, but those are the two best starting points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

buggmoo posted:

How about Smashing Pumpkins?
That's pretty easy: start with "Siamese Dreams," move onto "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," move backwards to "Gish," and avoid everything else like the plague.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

hatelull posted:

You can still include the lull e.p. and Pisces Iscaariot. Also, Machina II wasn't that bad.
I spose. Just keep away from Zeitgeist and Billy's solo album and it's all good.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Where would one start with Frank Black's solo career?
His first two albums, "Frank Black" and "Teenager of the Year" would be the best places to start, they're both brilliant albums. Moving from there, I'd say move up to "Dog in the Sand" and then get his most recent album "Bluefinger" and the mini album "Svn Fngrs."
The last two I mentioned have very Pixies-esque qualities to them, and they're some of the best stuff he's done in a while.

After that, you have to move towards his more alt-country albums, like "Black Letter Days," "Honeycomb," or "Fast Man Raider Man." They're not everyone's cup of tea, since I guess people were just expecting Frank Black to keep making the same music over and over, but they're solid albums.

Somewhere inbetween all of those you could try listening to "The Cult of Ray," his third album- some people like it, most kind of don't, but it's always worth a shot.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

trans fat posted:

Where do I start with The Monkees?

I had heard of them before, but only that they were just a sixties pop group. I recently got Wii Music and the song Daydream Believer is on there and wow. The Monkees rock. Do I just want The Birds, the Bees, and the Monkees or is there anything else golden?
Pretty much just get the greatest hits and you're all set.

Edit- "Best of the Monkees" is what you're looking for.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 30, 2008

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Captain Charisma posted:

Absolutely not. Whatever and Ever Amen->Rheinhold Messner->Self titled->NBP if you feel like it.

If you don't feel like it, move onto Ben's solo albums in chronological order.
That's kind of a weird flow- Reinhold Messner is a completely different sound from Whatever or the S/T.

I suggest starting out with the S/T as well, though, Whatever and Ever is nice, but I've never been as big on it as with the S/T or Rockin' The Suburbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Where do I start with Jonathan Richman?
'I, Jonathan,' 'Having a Party with Jonathan Richman,' and 'Modern Lovers Live '77.'