Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

Doctor Claw posted:

Roxy Music
New Order
Soft Cell

Roxy Music - Ohh, Roxy Music. So much change over so many years.
If you like this (frantic, theatric), get their self-titled or For Your Pleasure. (FYP is the better album)
If you like this (smoother, more refined), then get Stranded, Country Life, or Siren. (Country Life barely wins out on this one)
If you like this (dripping with sexiness), then get Avalon.

New Order - I'm not one to suggest starting with Greatest Hits. However, if you haven't already you actually might want to start with the "Best of" compilation. New Order released a lot of singles that don't appear on regular albums, and the "Best of" will give you those plus a few great album tracks. As for the actual albums, New Order has been pretty consistent over the years, so where you start pretty much depends on preference. My personal favorite is Technique, but a lot of people like Power Corruption and Lies.

Soft Cell - Once you get Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret, you're pretty much done. You can get Non-Stop Ecstatic Dancing, too, but it not quite the same, in my opinion. You might be able to find some good stuff out of Marc Almond's solo work, but I'm not that familiar with it aside from the song "Tears Run Rings" (which you should check out).

I'd love to know...
Where do I start with The Residents? Can you even get started somewhere with them??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

pipian posted:

Where should I go for similar music to glam after having binged through Bowie, T. Rex and Roxy Music?

If you're still looking at this thread, I'd also recommend Japan. They definitely took the Roxy Music path to music, starting out really funky and angular with Adolescent Sex and eventually smoothing out their sound with albums like Quiet Life. Also, David Sylvian basically stole Bryan Ferry's vocal stylings along the way. They're not exactly glam, but it's a good next step in music history.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

Popcorn posted:

I notice there's two guys with David Byrne avatars on this page alone so maybe they'll be able to help me! Bit of a specific question, this...

I saw Mr Byrne live last week and since then I've been on a big Talking Heads trip. I've found, though, that I infinitely prefer the Remain in Light stuff to any of their other albums. I've been massively digging the Remain in Light tracks on The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads-- can't stop listening to the live versions of Houses in Motion and Born Under Punches at the moment-- and I'm wondering if there are any other live recordings of Remain in Light stuff out there (apart from Stop Making Sense which has a paltry two tracks). In particular I'd love to hear a live version of The Overload. Are there any bootlegs or something you could point me to?

I've been thinking about whether I've ever heard "The Overload" performed live by Talking Heads (or even any of the last 3 songs of the album), and I haven't come up with a single answer for you as far as that is concerned.

However, there are plenty of live performances of the first 5 tracks of Remain in Light. Go to YouTube and look up Talking Heads Live in Rome for some more Adrian Belew live-era stuff (here's one to get you started - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KQjy02eqOk).

If you really (really) want to hear a live version of "The Overload" then find Phish's 1996 Halloween show. They performed Remain in Light in its entirety.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

MoroniK posted:

Any hot tips for an aspiring Dinosaur Jr. fan?

One word:

Bug

Also, You're Living All Over Me

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

Fail-Bot posted:

The Arcade Fire

They have two albums. Buy either one. Then buy the other if you like it.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

shpladoinkle posted:

Bump. I finally got myself into Talking Heads via Speaking In Tongues, and I know I have Remain in Light somewhere around. Anyone recommend and order to acquire the rest of their stuff in? What's worth it?

Everything but True Stories.

But seriously, if you have Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues, go this route:

Talking Heads '77
Fear of Music
More Songs About Buildings and Food
Naked
Little Creatures
True Stories

Alternately, seek out The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads (the newest release of it). It's a live album that's a much better listen than Stop Making Sense, which I think works better as a movie than just the soundtrack. TNOTBITH will take you all the way through Remain In Light so you can get a feel for what it all sounds like, plus it's got an amazing song called "A Clean Break" that only exists in live versions.

Edit: beaten by the slimmest of margins.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

I really didn't like True Stories at first, but it became one of my favorite albums after I saw the movie.

I only watch the movie :)

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

gently caress you aurora posted:

David Bowie

Click here for the full 953x953 image.

I have a few of his albums, what else would I like if I really liked The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust? I know a lot of his popular stuff and I appreciate the man, but I'm not sure which way to go before sullying my experience.

Hunky Dory is the closest to Ziggy Stardust, in my opinion. Bowie was a chameleon, not just in that he changed his look but that he changed his style of music, so everyone is going to have a different opinion on Bowie. Ziggy Stardust is probably the favorite of the majority of fans, and it's my favorite too, so good job starting there. My other favorites are Scary Monsters (which I describe as a schizophrenic prediction of what music was going to be in the 80s) and Young Americans (which leans heavily towards soul and R&B... with a Beatles cover thrown in), but most of his others are really good too. Do some research on each one and see what you think will appeal to you best.

Also, in my opinion, you can't just go off of single songs to decide what album to get. For some reason, Bowie didn't work that way with me. I like albums that I didn't expect to like (based on the songs chosen to go on "The Best of Bowie").

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

Iraff posted:

Where do I start with Cocteau Twins?

It's my personal opinion that Heaven or Las Vegas is probably the best to help someone to start with Cocteau Twins. It's probably the most accessible album.

Treasure is excellent, although it's a little more... ethereal/primal than the rest of their stuff. I probably say that because it features Elizabeth Fraser's most incomprehensible vocals (not that she ever makes sense). Head Over Heels is good, too. It came out before Treasure. It leans more towards pop sensibilities and features vocals that actually sound more like words, but it's also got a good dreamy sound.

My favorite single song is "Summerhead", but that's not on any of those three albums.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

the Bunt posted:

So is Treasure not quite a good showcase for the Cocteau Twins sound? It's the only one I've heard and I love it to death. My favorite song is "Lorelei", which is the one that got me interested in the band.

Everything else is a little more accessible than Treasure, at least from my perspective.

It's hard to exactly explain what I mean, though, and I think that's part of the allure of Cocteau Twins. What it comes down to for me is that I can "sing along" (whatever that means in this context) with songs from the other albums but not from Treasure. If you liked Treasure, go pick up Head over Heels and Heaven or Las Vegas.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

dailydares posted:

Where do I start with Sparks?

Kimono My House is by far their best. Propaganda and Angst in my Pants are really good too. In Outer Space is good, but a little more standard 80s pop stuff. I also like No. 1 in Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

True Stories is the only objectively bad Talking Heads album. Avoid that unless you really love Talking Heads. And even then, just get a copy of the movie True Stories.

TheNintenGenius posted:

(though I definitely like "The Book I Read" and "Pulled Up" bunches)

These two, with "Psycho Killer", really do bolster the album enough that it's worth looking into.

And The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads is worthwhile just for "A Clean Break (Let's Work)".