Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

HVD posted:

Where should I start with Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, The Doors and Mogwai?
I think a lot of their stuff is fantastic, so you may want to make a decision based on the kind of music you tend to like. You could tell us, and we make recommendations from there, or you could start with one of their singles collections (worth having), and go for the albums with singles you really like. I agree that Violator is the best -- everyone should own that album -- but you really can't lose with Depeche Mode. All of their albums are at least "pretty good".

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Amazon Review posted:

Siouxsie And The Banshees. I've heard some songs, and am intrigued, but I need people on the internet to verify my interests. :colbert:
I was in your shoes this January. I started with Juju (1981). This worked out very well for me. I followed that up with the rest their albums that have John McGeoch on guitar: Kaleidoscope (1980) and A Kiss in the Dreamhouse (1982). Maybe that was a somewhat arbitrary decision, but I have the impression that those three albums are when they really solidified their identity. And McGeoch really is quite good.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Glass Joe posted:

Where do I start with ... Shiny Toy Guns?
Get their 2006 release of We Are Pilots. It is an upbeat, well-made, dance-friendly album. Lots of fun.

Their second album is way too serious, guitar-heavy, and angsty, and is a very different Shiny Toy Guns. I don't think the songs are as good, either. There's nothing wrong with serious and angsty, but I imagine there are many other bands that do much better. I'm not telling you not to buy it -- just be careful.

NB: We Are Pilots has Carah Faye Charnow on vocals, not Sisely Treasure, who sings on "Major Tom". If this bothers you, I would reassure you that Charnow is a fine vocalist, and that We Are Pilots is still the stronger album.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 4, 2009

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Industrial! I am fascinated by early industrial pioneers, but find their music very challenging.

Where should I start with Cabaret Voltaire?

What about Throbbing Gristle? Do I pick up 20 Jazz Funk Greats and just stop?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Violator is usually considered their most accessible album, if not their best. Then, if you like it but think it needs more rock elements, move onto Songs of Faith and Devotion. Or, if you think Violator's synthpop style is fabulous the way it is, move backwards and check out Music for the Masses and Black Celebration. If you don't like Violator, then too bad, you probably won't like Depeche Mode.
Every person on this planet should own Violator, but as an alternative, you could pick up one of their singles collections (81-85 or 86-98). From there, you can investigate the albums with the singles you like.

Or, if Violator is too dark for you, but you still like synthpop and other 80s music, you might try getting their first album, Speak & Spell, and moving through their albums chronologically, as things don't get too angsty until Black Celebration (which is a great, great album). It eases you into their more serious stuff, and it worked for me.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bean_ posted:

Kinda digging on some NEW ORDER lately. Blue Monday is a classic, and I really like True Faith. These are the only two songs I really know by them. Where should I go from here?
Pick up Substance and you'll be hooked hard. It's their two-disc compilation of all the singles they released through 1987. "Blue Monday" and "True Faith" are both on there. Those two songs were basically all I knew about New Order when I got it, but I discovered that almost all of the songs on disc one are as classic and incredible. "Ceremony" is a beautiful relic from the band's Joy Division era, "Temptation" is an instant favorite with many who have heard it, and on and on. The second disc has a lot of instrumentals, remixes and B-sides.

The only downside with Substance is that many of the songs are around 6 of 7 minutes long, so listening to it all can be sort of tedious. Regardless, it's got the most hits in one place, spans a good part of their career, and contains the least amount of questionable later material.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Echo & The Bunnymen? Going to see them in November!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Any 1960s instrumental experts here? Where should I start with Vince Guaraldi?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

MrSargent posted:

Kraftwerk
Isaac Hayes

Kraftwerk: You can't go wrong with any one of their albums from 1974–1980. They're all masterpieces, so start with what you think you'd like more.
  • Autobahn has the classic 24-minute track everyone talks about, but its second half is sort of ambient experimental in trying to create moods and atmospheres rather than beats and tunes.
  • Radio-activity is about nuclear energy, radio, and electronics. No influential bangers per se, but the most tracks and widest range of track tempos and types of any of their records.
  • Trans-Europe Express is about travel, trains, and Europe. "Trans-Europe Express" and "Metal on Metal" are pretty mind-blowing and might be my favorite Kraftwerk tracks. Huge impact on hip-hop. Afrika Bambaataa lifted large portions of it to make "Planet Rock," and Grandmaster Flash said the track pretty much DJed itself.
  • The Man Machine I always think of this one as being about cities and urban life? I think it's my favorite. Every track is good. The beat to "Man Machine" seems pretty cutting-edge for 1978.
  • Computer World is about computers and technology. For hip-hop, I think "Numbers" was pretty influential, with "Home Computer" and "It's More Fun to Compute" having a big impact on techno.
Also rans: Kraftwerk and Kraftwerk 2 are weird, experimental, and forgettable, although "Ruckzuck" is kind of cool, I guess. Mostly for Krautrock completists. Techno Pop a.k.a. Electric Café is slightly underrated, which is to say that it's not as completely awful as most people say it is. The Mix is like a greatest hits compilation but all the tracks are slicker, digitally produced, dancefloor-ready (ca. 1990) overhauls of the originals. Tour de France Soundtracks the album is pretty good but it's not a starting point.

tl;dr: Just get Computer World.

I don't know as much about Isaac Hayes, but Hot Buttered Soul is supposed to be a really important record, and the 10-minute version of "Walk On By" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. The second time that string section kicks in is just :qq:

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 19, 2017

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kvlt! posted:

Where do I start with baroque music?

Hipster option: Wendy Carlos, Switched-on Brandenburgs

If you're having trouble deciding between philharmonics, you may as well just go for the one done on a Moog in the 1960s.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rubber Biscuit posted:

So after reading Cosey Fanni Tutti’s autobiography, I’ve realised Industrial Records labelmates Cabaret Voltaire are a blind spot in my early industrial knowledge. Where to begin with them?

Coil too?

I am not the biggest Cabaret Voltaire fan, but I have done a lot of listening to them over the past year, largely because of what a delight Code (1987) is. I approached them as a fan of EBM and darker dance music, and that album really hit the spot for me. I think their long-standing fans were a little upset because they were perceived as going pop (great interview where they push back against that — "disco sold out to us"), but I think anyone will agree that it's some of the finest, slickest industrial funk ever recorded.

Now, while Code might not be a representative album for them, it was good (and accessible!) enough to play over and over until I was thirsty enough for more of their material to start working my way through their catalog backwards — The Covenant, the Sword and the Arm of the Lord (1985), Drinking Gasoline (1985), Micro-Phonies (1984) (famous for the poster on Ferris Bueller's wall), and The Crackdown (1983). Anything earlier than that is a little too experimental for my taste, but Red Mecca (1981) is supposed to be their masterwork — "a taught, dense, horrific slab lacking a lull" — definitely what I'd steer a Throbbing Gristle fan towards.

I'm interested to read what more serious Cabaret Voltaire fans think.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Here's a serious blindspot for me in my command of 1990s bands — where do I start with The Smashing Pumpkins? Looks like they were pretty much on fire from 1991–1995?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 26, 2018

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
:staredog:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Henchman of Santa posted:

That’s correct. Siamese Dream is probably the best starting point. It’s not as sprawling as Mellon Collie (which is also fantastic), coming in around a “concise” 65 minutes and with tons of hits on it.

Thank you. I'm not sure why I connect them in my mind, but can anyone recommend a good starting point for Placebo as well? I think I'm trying to channel the older alternative kids I looked up to back then.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Stelio Kontos posted:

So I'm a big Smiths fan but have never really had the urge to delve into Morrissey's solo stuff, that is until this most recent Smiths kick I've been on. He has a lot of material, are all his albums on an even keel or are some standouts and others kinda meh? Is there a good entry point or start from the beginning?

I love The Smiths. I respect Morrissey's body of work, but I don't know it too well. That said, I like Viva Hate. I also like many of his singles after that ("First of the Gang," "Last of the Famous International Playboys," "Irish Blood English Heart") but nothing tops "Suedehead" and "Everyday Is Like Sunday," so that makes that album particularly enjoyable for me.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ikari Worrier posted:

The Knife is a pretty consistently great duo but their best starting point is probably Deep Cuts, especially since it has their most well-known track on it, "Heartbeats."

Agree. I feel like Silent Shout (2006) is a better album that shows more developed songwriting, and has some pretty mindbending bangers like "We Share Our Mother's Health" and "Like a Pen," but gently caress it — I like more songs on Deep Cuts (2003). "Heartbeats" is kind of the sound of a generation, and "Pass This On" changed my life. The record has got a lot of fat on it, but it's fun, and if you like it, you'll like The Knife (2001), which has a softness no other Karin Dreijer record does, and you'll better appreciate the progression Silent Shout shows.

I don't know what the gently caress they were going for with Shake the Habitual (2013) and to be honest, I'm still a scared to listen to it. In any case, it's not a starting point.

If you end up liking The Knife, check out Fever Ray (2009), which is nothing short of a masterpiece — chillingly beautiful, haunting, dark, mysterious, and icy.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

whoa, I had no idea about this — thank you!!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Junpei posted:

Did Fountains of Wayne do anything good besides Stacy's Mom?

I like "Denise"

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Junpei posted:

Duran Duran?

My opinion of Duran Duran is that — just like the old Your Band Sucks joke (I think?) — only their first two albums are good. Rio is a masterpiece, from beginning to end, and Duran Duran has some electric, youthful glimmers of brilliance and playful experimentation, but I think the band got lost chasing fame following the success of the abysmal David Kershenbaum remixes.

Edit: they do have some really good subsequent singles, though

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, listen to Japan's Quiet Life LP and you can hear where Duran Duran got their sound.

Rio is essentially a musical rewrite of Quiet Life, the song.

Until the chorus comes.

This is a brilliant observation.

So, listen to Duran Duran and Rio, and then visit Japan's 1979–1981 output — a more sophisticated, urbane, and musically talented (with the exception of John Taylor (Mick Karn tho :stwoon:)) precursor. Although, even David Sylvian is doing a Bryan Ferry impression, right?

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 4, 2019

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kvlt! posted:

Depeche Mode?

My first Depeche Mode album was The Singles 81–85. I bought it because the first Depeche Mode song I really heard and liked a lot was "Shake the Disease," which wasn't on any album. From there, I bought their albums chronologically. 15 years later, I am a huge Depeche Mode fan. Not as big as some, but still pretty big. If you have the time, patience, and interest, it is really interesting listening to the progression of their sound.

I think Violator is a masterpiece and a perfect album, and probably where you should start, but if it doesn't click with you for whatever reason, check out any of the following:
  • Black Celebration (1986): there are some melodramatic clunkers on here, but this album is a whole mood — bleak, nihilistic, and kind of horny
  • Music for the Masses (1987): a precursor to Violator. Dynamic with some excellent songwriting. More optimistic and playful than Black Celebration, but still kind of horny.
  • Songs of Faith and Devotion (1993): Violator's successor. Depeche Mode's heaviest, most aggressive album, with grunge and gospel influences and religious overtones.
  • Ultra (1997): Personally, I think this is Depeche Mode's most artful album. Singer Dave Gahan had just nearly died from an overdose and Alan Wilder, the most musically literate member of the band, had just quit. I think this contributes to a gentle, introspective quality of the album. Fewer bangers, but this album really stays with me for some reason.
  • Playing the Angel (2005): I remember reading a critic call this Depeche Mode's best album since Violator, which is sort of true — it's similarly dynamic and brings the hooks. The beat-up, regretful mood here is influenced by Martin Gore's divorce.
Depeche Mode were some of the best in the business in the music video game, so check out some of those, too. I've never really liked the live album, but 101 is an incredible documentary that captures the madness and devotion the band inspires inspired in 1988 in the US. I need to figure out how to see Spirits in the Forest, which is sort of a modern update on the same theme.

tl;dr: Violator

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 12, 2019

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I really wish there was some way people could still listen to this program that aired on the BBC last year for the 40th anniversary of the release of Unknown Pleasures. As someone who takes Joy Division entirely too seriously, I was ecstatic to hear listeners describe in the most sublime terms how deeply they felt the band's album captured the bleak otherworldliness of the Manchester and greater post-industrial Britain in 1979. From this beautifully written contemporaneous review:

Jon Savage posted:

Joy Division's spatial, circular themes and Martin Hannett's shiny, waking-dream production gloss are one perfect reflection of Manchester's dark spaces and empty places: endless sodium lights and hidden semis seen from a speeding car, vacant industrial sites — the endless detritus of the 19th century — seen gaping like rotten teeth from an orange bus. Hulme seen from the fifth floor on a threatening, rainy day... This is not, specifically, to glamourise; it could be anywhere. Manchester, as a (if not the city of the Industrial Revolution, happens only to be a more obvious example of decay and malaise.

I think that aesthetic either resonates with you or it doesn't. And if it does, it's hard to escape the synchronicity. I tried to capture the words of Peter Saville, who designed the album's cover, on the program at the time:

https://twitter.com/sodiumlitskies/status/1139925455631462402

And not just British contemporaries of Joy Division, but it was incredible to hear the host read messages from people all over the world of different generations who wrote about how much the album and band meant to them. As an extremely lonely and anxious kid in college, I spent many weekend afternoons on my bed listening to the album and trying to understand it. Not to stretch the metaphor too far, but it really is a certain kind of dark matter with an inexplicable gravity that draws people to the mythos.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

hexwren posted:

blur is almost certainly my most favorite band of all time.

and song 2, as you might guess, is extremely not representative

however, their MO for the most part has been to have one big song 2-style rave-up per record, so if you dig that, at bare minimum, you'll enjoy tracks like bank holiday, we've got a file on you, popscene, B.L.U.R.E.M.I., etc.

they're a group that likes the loud guitar thing, but their main methodology is, with exceptions, extremely arch art-pop.

the first record, leisure, is extremely of its time, leaning towards the sort of stone roses/happy mondays dance-rock of the time

i mean, they're all extremely of their time, but work with me here

the next three (modern life is rubbish, parklife, the great escape) are their discovery of, obsession with, and burnout on navel-gazing about Britishness in a manner not as ascerbic as the fall or as joyous-sounding as the kinks.

the self-titled followed, with song 2 and, as some other record review I forget the source of at the moment put it: "message: guitars"

the following album, 13, was ballyhooed at the time as being "electronica" since william orbit produced or co-produced, but their drummer's been playing dance breaks since the first record anyway, it really isn't.

the last two albums are still good, but not quite as essential.

i know i sound rather disparaging here, but I'm at work, sorry. if I go into detail and talk up all the good things, I'll be here all night.

I don't generally like suggesting "start with the best-of" but most of these albums are CD-length, so they're essentially double-albums. also popscene, their first single to make people sit up and take notice, isn't on the original pressing of modern life is rubbish (though it appears on some US pressings) so...

there's two best-ofs. one's a single cd and came out after 13, the other's a double-cd and came out much later. both will at least get you a taste. even beyond the albums, they have an absolutely unreasonable amount of b-sides, some of which are really good, but it's advanced crate-digging for some of them

I hate to see an effortpost end up at the bottom of a thread.

I love jangle pop, C86, and The Stone Roses, but I'm sort of in the dark about the britpop movement that followed. I appreciate the narrative and will see how I do on the best-ofs.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Teach posted:

As hexwren says, there are really only two albums. Listen to the first, which is better, and then the second, which was yoked by a lot of expectations. The only thing you'll miss from those is Fool's Gold, which is my favourite track of theirs.

My CD copy of their first album had "Fools Gold" included as a bonus track, which my friend who was helping me get into them told me was a very controversial and divisive inclusion (I think he was pulling my leg a bit), but I can't listen to the album any other way now.

Definitely start with their first album, but I picked up The Complete Stone Roses (which I think is just their singles and B-sides?) a while back and enjoyed listening to that as well. "Sally Cinnamon" is a hell of a debut single.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
time to put this thread to the test...

The Church?

Starfish seems to be the obvious starting point since it has the only two hits I know, but I would love it if a goon who is familiar with them to describe the progression of their sound and point out other highlights. They have quite a catalog!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

hatelull posted:

effortpost

thank you very much for this :worship:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Mezzanine is a masterpiece, but if you like "Protection," I'd start with their 1994 album of the same name, which features Tracey Thorn on two tracks. Personally, I prefer Protection, but you can't go wrong with either album.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

ultrafilter posted:

How about Siouxsie and the Banshees?

If you're into art punk and no wave, definitely check out The Scream (1978) and Join Hands (1979), but their golden era was when John McGeoch was their guitarist from 1980 to 1982. Siouxsie called him the most creative guitarist they've ever had, and each of those albums, Kaleidoscope (1980), Juju (1981), and A Kiss in the Dreamhouse (1982), are incredible records I come back to again and again.

If you had to choose one, Juju is really the only place to start. It's iconic — a lean goth masterpiece, swirling, dark, and sinister. Like it or not, it's their finest work on all the critics' lists, and you have to hear it at least once.

By comparison, Kaleidoscope is more varied and down-to-earth. It's not their best album, but it does sound like it's the one they had the most fun making. Steve Severin says they tried to make each song sound as different as possible. It's an interesting work by a band knocked off their footing, with Siouxsie and Severin trying to keep the band going after their punk-era guitarist and drummer quite literally abandoned them.

A Kiss in the Dreamhouse is more psychedelic than Juju and adds some brighter songs in major keys. "Painted Bird" is my #1 Siouxsie and the Banshees track of all time.

Hyaena is a good successor to A Kiss in the Dreamhouse, experimenting more with orchestral instrumentation and trippy, mystical themes, with none other than Robert Smith on guitar.

I know a lot of people like Tinderbox (1986), but I think it lacks the vision and playfulness of earlier albums. A bit workmanlike, like Siouxsie and the Banshees setting out to make a Siouxsie and the Banshees album.

PS. "Israel" is a McGeoch-era single that didn't find its way onto an album — check it out if you vibe with their other work from those days.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 25, 2023

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I kinda dig With Sympathy.

was going to troll the thread with "With Sympathy and stop there 💅🏻🥀" but it really is a certain kind of synthpop goth's delight. could never get into their later stuff, but also enjoy the classic industrial / EBM vibes on Twitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I will cosign Ishkur. All genre talk seems inherently silly and imprecise, but I don't know of anyone else who has put as much time, thought, and organization into it as he has, at his degree of breadth, so his site is as good a place to start as any.

Since he updated it about five years ago, it's super comprehensive but also super overwhelming. If you poke around enough you can see he's embedded links to his own mixes in the descriptions of a few of the major genres and styles, but you can also go to his mixcloud and browse what he has there. They are pretty well mixed and more fun to listen to than the short little clips he has on his site. His written descriptions are hilarious, though, so don't skip those entirely.

For example: If you're into tiktok, Chris Michael's videos are nice short little explainers too.

Halloween Jack posted:

Even as someone who was hip-deep in an EDM scene at the time, it was quite useful for learning about the origins of house and trance music and even turned me on to some specific bands and trends.
To Halloween Jack's point about origins, I have really enjoyed these explainers about house music: Lastly, they are a bit dated, thin, or disorganized, but Resident Advisor has some good genre sampler playlists on Spotify: