Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Sewer Shark posted:

What should I do with The Fall? I have Live at the Witch Trials and liked it but I took a look at their discography and when I saw that they're still going strong I didn't know where to go next.

You can't go wrong with the albums from the 80's, but I'd say Hex Enducation Hour would be the best place to start. Then get This Nation's Saving Grace .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

Where do I start with... Afrobeat?

I got interested in it after hearing some Boredoms live concerts, if that's any help...

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

HAI posted:

Boredoms, afrobeat = ???

+ really useful information

re: boredoms, yeah in recent live shows the syncopation of the drummers and the keyboards/singing of yoshimi were described to me by two japanese music freaks as 'like afrobeat', hence my fascination.

Thanks for the tips, got a hold of Nigeria 70 and it's exactly what I was looking for!

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

Static Equilibrium posted:

Where should I start with Talk Talk?

Spirit of Eden then Laughing Stock, then Colour of Spring (the others aren't so good, however Mark Hollis' solo album is excellent).

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

these zipper blues posted:

Cat Power?

The Greatest is her best, containing Chan's strongest vocal work combined with some great brass, however for her more 'indie' albums try You Are Free and Moon Pix.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

Al2001 posted:

Dear Catastrophe Waitress and The Life Pursuit, from what I've heard of them, are pretty good even if it does seem that Stuart Murdoch wants to jump from genre to genre, In a White Album kind of way, on each track.

Oh lord, get The Life Pursuit, it's an amazing album, and one of their most consistant. Other than that, what A12001 said is pretty much spot on. But yeah, TLP just might be the perfect starting point with B&S.

Can someone tell me where to start with Dead Can Dance?

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

Chinaski posted:

I would like to check out:

Melt Banana
The Boredoms
Lightning Bolt
The Locust

And any other obnoxious noise.

Melt Banana - Try Bambi's Dillema
Lightning Bolt - Either Hypermagic Mountain or Wonderful Rainbow

aaaaaaand if you want obnoxious, noisy, Boredoms try Soul Discharge. Then get everything else they've ever done, including all the super roots albums and OOIOO's stuff and eYe's DJ work as their albums are rarely anything less than amazing.

edit: Obnoxious noise? Dude, try Merzbow.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

Popcorn posted:

Right, more help needed. Where do I start with Donovan (I really like the song 'Colours' but don't really know anything else except for Mellow Yellow) and The Fall?

I started with Hex Enduction Hour and that got me well and truly addicted. From there try their other 80's releases, then 90's and so on. Mark E. Smith's solo career is pretty difficult to like straight off the bat.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

HAI posted:

She has TWO motherfucking albums, and Paper Planes is on Kala. Is that really too loving hard to Google?

Dude, he also asked for other bands with a similar style. Jesus, it's only the internet: you don't need to answer his question.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

Sirius Sam posted:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention Black Sabbath. Sabbath is by far one of my favorite bands of all time. The first five Sabbath albums get constant play time for me.

Thanks for the Kyuss recommendation, sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot.

Also try the Japanese band called Flower Travellin' Band. Especially their album Satori. Stoned, hard rock at it's very best.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

Halfsharkalligator posted:

So I got Bee Thousand by Guided By Voices and I love it. So where do I go from from here?

Give Alien Lanes a try, it's pretty similar in style and from there try Isolation Drills to sample their more polished later-days sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

To the guy who wanted to know where to start with Elvis Costello, start with Last Year's Model.