Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

agro_cragg posted:

I'd like to know where to start with The Misfits.
The coffin box set. It'll run you around 60 bucks, but it's worth it. It's got nearly everything the original Misfits ever recorded save for Walk Among Us; all the songs from that album are still on it, just in different versions.

The box set, Walk Among Us, and the reissue of Static Age (which has a couple of tracks that aren't on the box set version) should be everything you'll ever need by the Misfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

agro_cragg posted:

Sorry to be a snob, but I'm kinda hurting for cash right now. I can only buy one or two albums at this point. Are there just a couple of early Misfits albums that could set me on the right path?
In that case, go with Walk Among Us and Static Age if you think you might be able/want to spring for the box set later on. If you don't, go with Collection I and Collection II; note that if you ever do get the box set, having both of these is pretty redundant.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Yoshifan823 posted:

OK, so, I used to hate rap, now kinda really like it, but there are a few I like more than others. For the first, the Beastie Boys, I've just got Sabotage and So Whatcha Want, and I've heard You Gotta Fight plenty, so where do I go from there?
Paul's Boutique, Paul's Boutique, Paul's Boutique. Cannot be said enough. After that, you can probably just go chronologically (Check Your Head, Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, in that order). Let's be honest here, Licensed To Ill is not that great of album, unless you're like fourteen and hearing it for the first time. You've heard "Fight For Your Right", you've pretty much heard the whole thing.

Unfortunately, I still haven't listened to anything but the singles off their last two albums, since graduating from high school apparently put an end to the Beastie-Boys-worship phase of my life (even though I still think Paul's Boutique is one of the best records ever), which means I can't really pass any judgment on those.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Polegrinder posted:

Houdini is really easy to get into, it came out during the whole grunge explosion and has some of the less abrasive songs. Stoner Witch is another album that is a pretty easy listen. Not sure where to go from there since those are the only two albums I own of theirs. :(
comedy option: Colossus of Destiny

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

hatelull posted:

bad religion
One addendum: 80-85 is out of print now and has been supplanted by the remastered version of How Could Hell Be Any Worse, which has the same tracklisting as 80-85. I personally don't like the remaster of it as much as the original, but I haven't heard any of the other remasters, so I can't comment on their quality (everything pre-Recipe For Hate got remastered and reissued a few years back; if you buy them new that's the version they'll be, although plenty of used copies of the originals are still around.)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

hatelull posted:

Are those classic Epitaph LP's different in the remaster? Worth hearing? I've forever had the pre-remastered CD versions and never bothered to buy the albums again.
Generator has a couple of bonus tracks (just alternate versions of "Fertile Crescent" and "Heaven Is Falling") but none of the others do. I haven't heard any of the remasters except How Could Hell... (which I don't think is worth rebuying if you've already got 80-85), so I can't comment on the sound quality or anything like that.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

m0therfux0r posted:

"Half Machine Lip Moves" is easily the most "rockin" of the Chrome albums and has some cool garage-y sounding production. Most of the songs completely change directions in the middle and go from (almost) straightforward garage rock to weird, almost danceable rhythm things with guitar solos over them.

My favorite is "Red Exposure," though that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion. It has more "warm" production, but is a lot creepier, and even has an almost-pop song on it ("Electric Chair").
Half Machine Lip Moves is also readily available as a double album with Alien Soundtracks; those two are what got me into Chrome, and the beginning of their career is a pretty good place to start.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Blast Fantasto posted:

Where do I start with Black Flag?

There's so much, all the different singers, I have no idea where to start with this.
Chronologically. Don't be intimidated by the sheer number of members, everything the first three singers recorded is collected on The First Four Years (the Nervous Breakdown, Jealous Again, and Six Pack EPs combined, plus a couple other tracks) and Everything Went Black (mostly outtakes and alternate takes; interesting to hear Dez Cadena's singing on some soon-to-be Damaged tracks, but largely inessential).

fake edit - since that guy just said basically the same thing I was going to, I'm going to fall back to my comedy option: track down the Minuteflag EP (please don't, it'll bring down your opinion of two great bands)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
If you can get the Embrace album (Ian MacKaye with 3/4 of the Faith), it's like the missing link between Minor Threat and Fugazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Suicide Watch posted:

Oh, and Pixies.
They only had four albums, and everyone's going to tell you to start with Surfer Rosa, even thought Trompe le Monde is their best.