Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
We used Zola for our website and Minted for our invites, very happy with both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We used Zola, it was fine

Using wedding.. donations? We bought a set of wusthöf knives from their catalog, which were terrible quality (counterfeit?), but otherwise was fine

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We used Minted for both invitations and wedding website iirc (been 4 years) and it was fine/good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think there's a bad choice these days two or three bridezillas can do the work of an army of QA people

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What's a good resource for invitation printing?
We're in NYC so using a brick&mortar might be easier for us but are there any recommended online places that will be able to send invitations to us quickly and cheaply?

Also: is theknot.com considered the better of the websites to set-up for information? That seems to be what everyone is using these days?

Zola was fine. The real pro thing about getting invitations printed is getting the addresses printed so you can upload a spreadsheet instead of spending hours writing addresses onto envelopes. There's only so much advantage a brick and mortar store can offer there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow this thread went from like four pages a year to, uh, there were no posts in this thread in 2022 :ohdear:

Anyways uh just wanted to say that we got uh, this ultrasonic cleaner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q2M17K/ for like $40

This is the "one cool trick jewlers don't want you to find out" type gadget that.... my wife actually uses without me asking if she still has it. Any time she has a work event it magically appears from...somewhere, on our bathroom counter, to clean her ring, and any other jewlery she plans on wearing that night. Just like 180 seconds with a quarter drop of soap will render jewlery looking brand new. Ultrasonically cleaned jewlery often looks better than new, it's impressive stuff. Her sister got one too

Also I got some lovely (read: $$$) coating on my new glasses and ultrasonic cleaner is the only way to clean these drat things now.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Hadlock posted:

Wow this thread went from like four pages a year to, uh, there were no posts in this thread in 2022 :ohdear:

Anyways uh just wanted to say that we got uh, this ultrasonic cleaner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q2M17K/ for like $40

This is the "one cool trick jewlers don't want you to find out" type gadget that.... my wife actually uses without me asking if she still has it. Any time she has a work event it magically appears from...somewhere, on our bathroom counter, to clean her ring, and any other jewlery she plans on wearing that night. Just like 180 seconds with a quarter drop of soap will render jewlery looking brand new. Ultrasonically cleaned jewlery often looks better than new, it's impressive stuff. Her sister got one too

Also I got some lovely (read: $$$) coating on my new glasses and ultrasonic cleaner is the only way to clean these drat things now.

I use the same ultrasonic in my little jewelry making shop and it’s great for the price. I’m sure I could get something better for more money, but you can’t beat it on a budget.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

twerking on the railroad posted:

Zola was fine. The real pro thing about getting invitations printed is getting the addresses printed so you can upload a spreadsheet instead of spending hours writing addresses onto envelopes. There's only so much advantage a brick and mortar store can offer there.

Having this spreadsheet of formatted-for-address-stickers is extremely handy down the line. We use our wedding list for holiday cards, thank you notes and other things all the drat time.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

so i'm not getting married but my friend, of whom i was already maid of honour, asked me to officiate half her ceremony (technically i am not 'officiating' they got a minister for the 5m of legally-required stuff at the end but yknow) and gave me free reign to give whatever kind of speech i want, within the 5-10m range

oh god what do i say

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We live near a wedding venue and often drive by when they are taking wedding photos before the ceremony. The groomsmen today had khaki suits and boy I cannot endorse that unless you like looking like the Air Force. Is that a new trend?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We were at a beach destination resort thing and both weddings while we were there had groomsmen in tan suits

We're just getting old

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Where can I find sub $500 moissanite engagement rings? poo poo in the op is all like mad expensive

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Feral Integral posted:

Where can I find sub $500 moissanite engagement rings? poo poo in the op is all like mad expensive

I found mine on overstock.com. It’s lab grown but I get a lot of compliments on it. Doesn’t matter to me if it’s real or not :)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So I'm confused about the role of the bridal party w/r/t gift giving. My understanding was the point of having a bridal party was to have staff for the wedding, our labour in setting up the wedding, keeping the party running smoothly, and throwing the bachelorette party (since family held the bridal shower) was our contribution. If anything, the couple is supposed to reimburse us some costs, such as clothing and hotel.

But I'm seeing online that each bridesmaid should give a wedding gift of about $120? It hadn't occurred to me, and the costs of the bachelorette party will be pushing my budget, should we scale back the party, or?

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 12, 2023

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
If you're close enough to the couple to be in the wedding party, discuss this with them? We didn't pay for anything for our wedding party, and they didn't give us anything special other than the usual card and a small contribution to honeymoon fund where they wanted to. They still helped organise parts of the day and the combined stag+hen do.

I think there's a lot of utter nonsense out there about weddings/wedding gifts/funding various parts of the experience for people beyond arranging the day itself. You and your mates should surely be on the same page.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our wedding party, most of them had various tasks and they were on an email chain with specific wedding details and they got a minute by minute timeline for the day of, I think the stuff they cared about was mostly when to pick up their rental stuff and/or show up for photos etc. Wedding party is sort of the inner circle of people you're hanging out with the in the days and hours up to the wedding providing moral support and yeah doing hard labor and also will drive to the store two hours before the wedding to do X

At our wedding, bridesmaids bought their own dresses, groomsmen paid for their own rental stuff (about $250?). Only one groomsmen asked that I cover his suit rental, which was fine he paid for his and his gf's out of state airplane ticket and hotel ($1000+). I forget what kind of bridal party gift bag my wife did but it was a bottle of red wine and some trinkets like a fridge magnet with our wedding date, total value $35 or so. I think all of them drank the wine in their hotel room and when we go visit them the magnet is on their fridge somewhere

If a bridal party gift is going to break the bank, I'd scale down that gift and keep the party as is. It's the party everyone remembers about the wedding

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 14, 2023

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I started reading this thread years ago in a dreamy hope that has now become a reality within the last couple of weeks as my other half popped the question out of nowhere.

My first couple of questions for the thread:

I'm really hooked on the idea of a meteorite ring for either engagement or wedding. I've had my eye on https://jewelrybyjohan.com/ for literally years. Any thoughts on upkeep of meteorite rings? And any thoughts on less traditional stones? There's an aquamarine and opal bezel-set meteorite ring I love, but from what I gather opal is not the best for everyday wear over a long time because it's less hard. Is aquamarine better? Any alternatives to the opal that wouldn't be too pricey?

Also, any tips for a budget wedding in the UK? (i.e. no backyard weddings possible!) I reckon the budget we could put together ourselves would be £8k, but we don't know at this point if family would offer anything towards that. Both of our family situations are best described as "complicated". Aiming for about 30-40 guests.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
We did 75ish people at a brewery wedding for around £7k all in. Rock 'n' Roll Bride takes some sifting but is good for inspiration. I've probably posted about my wedding in here if you look at my post history. We wanted fun over tradition, and for the whole vibe to avoid that maudlin thing some weddings end up having.

We had a quick registry office legal bit, which saved a lot of money as then we didn't need to be beholden to a licensed venue. It also meant our proper vows were much more personal.

I heard recently they meteorite rusts like buggery, so do have a google around that. From my research, opal/opal-alikes are simply too soft for daily wear. I ended up with a rough diamond, which I love.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah the actual wedding will need to be at a licensed venue, so the county office is the absolute cheapest, then go whereever you want for the party. It's possible to rent your local village hall for cheap, as long as you're willing to invest more time in decoration and catering.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Acaila posted:

Also, any tips for a budget wedding in the UK? (i.e. no backyard weddings possible!) I reckon the budget we could put together ourselves would be £8k, but we don't know at this point if family would offer anything towards that. Both of our family situations are best described as "complicated". Aiming for about 30-40 guests.

My first wedding was in the UK, and for the reception we booked out a large-ish pub. We paid for the meal, but it was a cash bar so the pub was making extra off that. They only charged us about £2K for 70 people (this was 13 years ago though).

Cheapest venue for the ceremony is a church if you can stomach that. But a friend of mine got married on a beach in 2001, so it must be possible. (Although, I think what they did there was to have the legal "ceremony" at the register office afterwards, but the actual ceremony for family and friends on the beach.)

Yeah seems like an outdoor ceremony still needs to be at a venue with an indoor civil ceremony licence. But you can probably still do the one weird trick described above.

https://outdoorceremonies.co.uk/the-blog/wedding-planning/new-outdoor-wedding-laws-explained

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Bollock Monkey posted:

We did 75ish people at a brewery wedding for around £7k all in. Rock 'n' Roll Bride takes some sifting but is good for inspiration. I've probably posted about my wedding in here if you look at my post history. We wanted fun over tradition, and for the whole vibe to avoid that maudlin thing some weddings end up having.

We had a quick registry office legal bit, which saved a lot of money as then we didn't need to be beholden to a licensed venue. It also meant our proper vows were much more personal.

I heard recently they meteorite rusts like buggery, so do have a google around that. From my research, opal/opal-alikes are simply too soft for daily wear. I ended up with a rough diamond, which I love.

Rock n Roll Bride just came up as I was catching up on this thread so I have it bookmarked for a go through, thank you!
Will definitely research the meteorite, just ideally looking for a nice contrast to the alexandrite in something like this: https://jewelrybyjohan.com/en-gb/collections/meteorite-rings/products/meteorite-ring-opal-aquamarine-2904

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Yeah the actual wedding will need to be at a licensed venue, so the county office is the absolute cheapest, then go whereever you want for the party. It's possible to rent your local village hall for cheap, as long as you're willing to invest more time in decoration and catering.

There are a couple of quite pretty village halls I've found - I wouldn't go for our local one, but there are a couple that are converted churches with some nice arches and stained glass windows and such that are on my list. They are a bit more out of the way annoyingly. Keen on the idea of outside catering as we went to a wedding with great catering last week that is quoting £22+VAT per guest which seems pretty good?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

My first wedding was in the UK, and for the reception we booked out a large-ish pub. We paid for the meal, but it was a cash bar so the pub was making extra off that. They only charged us about £2K for 70 people (this was 13 years ago though).

Cheapest venue for the ceremony is a church if you can stomach that. But a friend of mine got married on a beach in 2001, so it must be possible. (Although, I think what they did there was to have the legal "ceremony" at the register office afterwards, but the actual ceremony for family and friends on the beach.)

Yeah seems like an outdoor ceremony still needs to be at a venue with an indoor civil ceremony licence. But you can probably still do the one weird trick described above.

https://outdoorceremonies.co.uk/the-blog/wedding-planning/new-outdoor-wedding-laws-explained

Church is actually an option - my other half does identify as Christian, but stopped attending his childhood church some years back. I don't think he wants a humanist ceremony, so it's an option, but I'd need to be convinced that it would be a welcoming environment for a queer heavy guest list.
It seems like in Scotland you can marry just about any where, but I would not take the risk of an outdoor ceremony - I don't want to invoke that karma! :D

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What do you like about opals? Awesome synthetic gems with unique optical properties are more common nowadays so you could consider something there. Scarodactyl in the jewelery thread actually has an Etsy shop specializing in synthetics if you want someone to poke about specifics. His shop is TurtlesHoard, you probably want something with a mohs hardness of 7 at minimum.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Acaila posted:

Rock n Roll Bride just came up as I was catching up on this thread so I have it bookmarked for a go through, thank you!
Will definitely research the meteorite, just ideally looking for a nice contrast to the alexandrite in something like this: https://jewelrybyjohan.com/en-gb/collections/meteorite-rings/products/meteorite-ring-opal-aquamarine-2904

There are a couple of quite pretty village halls I've found - I wouldn't go for our local one, but there are a couple that are converted churches with some nice arches and stained glass windows and such that are on my list. They are a bit more out of the way annoyingly. Keen on the idea of outside catering as we went to a wedding with great catering last week that is quoting £22+VAT per guest which seems pretty good?

Church is actually an option - my other half does identify as Christian, but stopped attending his childhood church some years back. I don't think he wants a humanist ceremony, so it's an option, but I'd need to be convinced that it would be a welcoming environment for a queer heavy guest list.
It seems like in Scotland you can marry just about any where, but I would not take the risk of an outdoor ceremony - I don't want to invoke that karma! :D

Maybe try this website to look for a queer-friendly church (if you end up going that way):

https://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_church/

Another thing about getting married in a church is that there's usually a fairly defined script for the ceremony, so on the one hand you may not have much freedom over that, but on the other hand not designing your own ceremony could save you a lot of extra stress.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Xun posted:

What do you like about opals? Awesome synthetic gems with unique optical properties are more common nowadays so you could consider something there. Scarodactyl in the jewelery thread actually has an Etsy shop specializing in synthetics if you want someone to poke about specifics. His shop is TurtlesHoard, you probably want something with a mohs hardness of 7 at minimum.

It was the opals I was less fussed about in that design - I like the alexandrite (it seems a good cheaper alternative to sapphire which is my favourite stone), and I like the contrast of having something different in the middle, but the opals are a little meh and don't seem to be hard enough for everyday wear. Will have a look at the etsy store though, it's been fun to look up some cool designers recently!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Maybe try this website to look for a queer-friendly church (if you end up going that way):

https://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_church/

Another thing about getting married in a church is that there's usually a fairly defined script for the ceremony, so on the one hand you may not have much freedom over that, but on the other hand not designing your own ceremony could save you a lot of extra stress.

Thanks! The only one within an hour looks beautiful and is one I know has a great track record, but it's £1000 to get married there - yikes! The two churches it's showing me are both Episcopal, so that seems to be a thing in common and might be worth seeing if there are some more local ones, though I think if my other half wanted to get married in church, it would probably be his childhood church I'm guessing.
Still, it's given us something to discuss so thank you! :)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Acaila posted:

It was the opals I was less fussed about in that design - I like the alexandrite (it seems a good cheaper alternative to sapphire which is my favourite stone), and I like the contrast of having something different in the middle, but the opals are a little meh and don't seem to be hard enough for everyday wear. Will have a look at the etsy store though, it's been fun to look up some cool designers recently!

Yeah! Just so you know that store specializes in loose gems rather than jewelry, Scarodactyl can get his hands on some really neat research/science gems that I honestly havent seen anywhere else at all. Also in general alexandrite is way more expensive than sapphires, if you see it going for less than sapphire it's probably synthetic (still expensive) or a simulant (less expensive) or some edge case where they've got a really fancy natural sapphire. Synthetic sapphires are quite common now too though and should be very price efficient!

I will shill synthetics till the end of time because goddamn its the same drat rock but you know exactly where it came from and it comes in nicer colors to boot :argh:

Xun fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 5, 2023

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Hi thread - I haven't stopped by in a while. If anyone has any updates or new links to add to the OP, just PM me or email me at username at gmail.

Last week was our 15th wedding anniversary. :love: :love: :love:

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to host a bunch of photos from a recent wedding?
I have a few hundred photos that I'd like to upload to a website so that I can include a link when I mail out thank-you letters.
It'll be quite a lot of large images so I'm not averse to paying for it for a few months.
Any options that include tagging and a good interface?
Would be good if people could upload their own also, maybe?

This is probably more suited to a general tech thread so if there's a more suitable image-hosting thread perhaps I could crosspost this question there if anybody knows a place here that might be able to help.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There may be better solutions out there, but I am guessing they aren’t free, but i would just use Google Drive.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Not entirely sure where this question should go but I'll start here - my wife's wedding rings have likely been lost in a tragic hotel cleaning mix-up. I purchased them 8-9 years ago from a national-scale jeweler here in the US and still have the receipt, and while I took out a cleaning and insurance policy on it at the time it has almost certainly lapsed by now. Even if they're not going to replace it, what are the odds that they can tell me how it was designed based on the aforementioned paperwork so that we can recreate it as best as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I think asking them is your quickest option for finding out.

Regarding insurance, might they be covered by your home insurance? Worth checking your policy.