Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I just got back from my wedding/honeymoon a couple weeks ago - we did a desination wedding in Cabo, and I had a blast. We chose to do a desination wedding to keep it smaller and more casual - we only had 2 dozen close friends and family (which is more than I thought we'd have), and had the ceremony at an all-inclusive resort. It cost us under $15K for everything including travel costs, honeymoon, etc. It would have easily cost us twice that if we'd have stayed local, where we'd have been obligated to accommodate way more guests.

So if anyone has any destination wedding questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet

RedFish posted:

S'up, fellow K-1 filer. We've already gone through this process and are currently adjusting status, so if you have any questions about the process or want to scream in abject frustration about all the goddamn bullshit you've gone through to an empathetic ear, feel free to PM me.

If you're willing to wait three months for your honeymoon, you could apply for Advanced Parole since you'll have to pay for it regardless if you want it or not, and go once it's granted. Or you could do what we did, get a quickie legal ceremony to get the paperwork ball rolling and then have a wedding followed by honeymoon at your leisure.
Third option: whether you do the quickie wedding or your real wedding, you can file the adjustment and then seek emergency advance parole at your local office. Depends very much on your local office and you should ask your lawyer if it's feasible. For some reason it's actually very easy in New York -- you don't need a real emergency.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

DubDisciple posted:

Third option: whether you do the quickie wedding or your real wedding, you can file the adjustment and then seek emergency advance parole at your local office. Depends very much on your local office and you should ask your lawyer if it's feasible. For some reason it's actually very easy in New York -- you don't need a real emergency.

We didn't use a lawyer. We didn't need one, or want to pay for one when we were just as capable of filling out the paperwork ourselves. Our case was simple, straightforward, and my visa was approved so fast I sputtered and asked the Consular Officer at the end of my less than three-minute interview "Is that it?".

I recommend people investigate visajourney.com and DIY unless they've got some unusual complications, like entering the country on a non-marriage visa and getting married, etc.

Is emergency advanced parole so readily available in all states? I've heard of people getting denied to go see relatives on deathbeds, etc. and their requests to expedite their AP denied. It would definitely make their honeymoon plans easier.

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet
I'm not getting into this discussion anymore of whether or not to use a lawyer, so we'll just leave it.

As for emergency advance parole, if you read what I wrote I said it depends very much on your local office. I can score them easily in New York, some of the time in Newark, and everywhere else has been hit or miss. Many offices still stick to the old "must be death or imminent death of immediate family member" policy.

Stuff like this you'll never find on visajourney :)

OH YEAH P.S. I am in this thread because I am getting married fancy-style in September.

DubDisciple fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 11, 2008

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!
My fiance (also a goon) and I just got engaged a couple of weeks ago and though our wedding is a ways off (March, 2010 tentatively), I've started to research how the heck we can pull this off.

Does anyone have any advice/experiences about very casual, outdoor weddings? We really don't want a fancy event, and want to keep our budget quite low at around $1000. I have a state park in mind for the ceremony and reception, but I still have to check it out in person to see if it will work. We want to have a casual picnic style lunch (I'll have to change this up if we end up having the ceremony in the late afternoon), maybe some beer and soda, and just enjoy the company of our friends and family and a nice day at the park. Not much more than that.

Any thoughts/recommendations on how this can be done nicely?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Emilar posted:

We want to have a casual picnic style lunch (I'll have to change this up if we end up having the ceremony in the late afternoon), maybe some beer and soda, and just enjoy the company of our friends and family and a nice day at the park. Not much more than that.

Picnic style is so cool! I would do fried chicken and pulled pork, it's super cheap and delicious (although I'm not sure how messy it would be, but if everyone is dressed casually it won't matter). Or you could do a barbecue. Lots of fruit that's in season, cold veggies...

Can I come to your wedding? I'm starting to make myself hungry :) Why would you not have a picnic wedding in the summer, though? Do you live somewhere super hot?

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

moana posted:

Picnic style is so cool! I would do fried chicken and pulled pork, it's super cheap and delicious (although I'm not sure how messy it would be, but if everyone is dressed casually it won't matter). Or you could do a barbecue. Lots of fruit that's in season, cold veggies...

Can I come to your wedding? I'm starting to make myself hungry :) Why would you not have a picnic wedding in the summer, though? Do you live somewhere super hot?
We currently live in upstate NY, but my fiance and i will be moving back to our hometown, Las Vegas, in about a year, and will be having our wedding there. The summers are horribly hot, so the end of March is still bearable (even nice). Of course, in Las Vegas there are tons of places to get married, but we (ok, maybe just me) are set on having it in a somewhat natural environment out of the city.

Fried chicken and pork are a good idea, but a lot of the guests (myself included) are vegetarian. So, I was thinking about having sandwich platters from Whole Foods (a health food, mostly organic grocery store) with a good amount of meat options for the omnivores, and some veggie stuff for the vegetarians. My fiance and his friends are big fans of Mexican food (and this one particularly disgusting dish called carne asada fries), so we will also be having a lot of that as well. My absolute favorite desert is pumpkin pie, so I definitely want a wedding pie, at least for myself to gorge on. A BBQ is definitely not out of the question, but I'm not sure if there are any grills available at the spot I'm thinking about.

Heck yeah, I'll invite you! :) Can you make me a pie??

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003
I think a picnic reception is a fantastic idea. One of our first dates ever was a picnic in Greenwich Park, and ever year we try to go and have a picnic for our "anniversary". But planning anything outside in England is just asking for trouble... :(

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

squirrellypoo posted:

I think a picnic reception is a fantastic idea. One of our first dates ever was a picnic in Greenwich Park, and ever year we try to go and have a picnic for our "anniversary". But planning anything outside in England is just asking for trouble... :(

Agreed it sounds awesome, however you'll probably want to spring for renting tables and chairs. As cute as throwing a couple dozen tablecloths on the ground seems, if you're inviting grand-people, or really pretty much anybody over 35, sitting on the ground is gonna get old well before the party is over. I think pavilion rental with bench seating is probably under 50$ per event at most park places.

Babys1stCockring
Apr 4, 2006

Emilar posted:

My fiance (also a goon) and I just got engaged a couple of weeks ago and though our wedding is a ways off (March, 2010 tentatively), I've started to research how the heck we can pull this off.

Does anyone have any advice/experiences about very casual, outdoor weddings? We really don't want a fancy event, and want to keep our budget quite low at around $1000. I have a state park in mind for the ceremony and reception, but I still have to check it out in person to see if it will work. We want to have a casual picnic style lunch (I'll have to change this up if we end up having the ceremony in the late afternoon), maybe some beer and soda, and just enjoy the company of our friends and family and a nice day at the park. Not much more than that.

My fiancee and myself were thinking EXACTLY doing this next summer for our wedding.

The problem we're facing is trying to find a nice park with something resembling a decent shelter in case its crappy out. We've been finding out that you should try to book the event as soon as you can because sopts are filling up rather quickly. Try to get to one of the parks in mind on a weekend just to see how busy it gets during that time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if there is rain in the forecast, I've been told there are some places that will let you rent a large canopy for cover. Not sure on price though.

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

Slo-Tek posted:

Agreed it sounds awesome, however you'll probably want to spring for renting tables and chairs. As cute as throwing a couple dozen tablecloths on the ground seems, if you're inviting grand-people, or really pretty much anybody over 35, sitting on the ground is gonna get old well before the party is over. I think pavilion rental with bench seating is probably under 50$ per event at most park places.
We are definitely going to rent chairs and tables. We will be inviting quite a few older adults, plus we will need somewhere to put the food! I'm not sure if there are pavilion bench seating available at the park I'm interested in (I hate being 2500 miles away from where the wedding will be!), but I'm thinking about renting some tents, on the off chance it rains, as well. All of these things are surprisingly cheap to rent!

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

Babys1stCockring posted:

My fiancee and myself were thinking EXACTLY doing this next summer for our wedding.

The problem we're facing is trying to find a nice park with something resembling a decent shelter in case its crappy out. We've been finding out that you should try to book the event as soon as you can because sopts are filling up rather quickly. Try to get to one of the parks in mind on a weekend just to see how busy it gets during that time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if there is rain in the forecast, I've been told there are some places that will let you rent a large canopy for cover. Not sure on price though.
How far along are you in planning?

I've only been to nice, semi-formal or formal weddings, so I have no idea how other people go about doing casual weddings!

Emilar fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 11, 2008

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!
Edit: never mind

Babys1stCockring
Apr 4, 2006

Emilar posted:

How far along are you in planning?

I've only been to nice, semi-formal or formal weddings, so I have no idea how other people go about doing casual weddings!

We're only two or so months in.

The only weddings we've been to were pretty much the same that you mentioned. We figured it would be a nice change for everyone.

Our idea of casual is sitting around with friends having some drinks and cooking out on a nice summer day so that's the path we're planning the wedding around.

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

Babys1stCockring posted:

We're only two or so months in.

The only weddings we've been to were pretty much the same that you mentioned. We figured it would be a nice change for everyone.

Our idea of casual is sitting around with friends having some drinks and cooking out on a nice summer day so that's the path we're planning the wedding around.
Yeah, we're only about a week in, haha. Though I did spontaneously buy my wedding dress online last night! That was a big step I was not planning on making for a while, but I found my absolute dream dress (in my size too!), and I wanted to snatch it up before someone else bought it. It's vintage and the only one the store had, so I had to act fast.

Anyway, if you obtain any valuable tid bits of advice through planning your casual wedding, I'd love to hear about it! Good luck!

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
I think casual weddings are part of my family, except one sister who had hers in a church. My parents and other sisters all had outdoor casual weddings and my fiance (who had a big formal wedding and hated it) brought up the idea of a small casual wedding, just another reason why I love her, lol. We are probably going to be having it at her family's cabin near Creede, Co next year.

Biggest issue is knowing the typical weather if going outdoors for your area. If it is a national park or similar the best people to talk to are the Park Rangers who work in the area. Don't rely on it 100%, plan for rain and put up a couple of those awning things if there isn't hard cover available, if nothing else it's some extra shade. Plan food that is easy to transport and doesn't matter if it's hot at time of serving, the suggestion of chicken and pulled pork is a good one. Lots of water along with other beverages is a good idea too.

Good luck!

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

Tindjin posted:

I think casual weddings are part of my family, except one sister who had hers in a church. My parents and other sisters all had outdoor casual weddings and my fiance (who had a big formal wedding and hated it) brought up the idea of a small casual wedding, just another reason why I love her, lol. We are probably going to be having it at her family's cabin near Creede, Co next year.

Biggest issue is knowing the typical weather if going outdoors for your area. If it is a national park or similar the best people to talk to are the Park Rangers who work in the area. Don't rely on it 100%, plan for rain and put up a couple of those awning things if there isn't hard cover available, if nothing else it's some extra shade. Plan food that is easy to transport and doesn't matter if it's hot at time of serving, the suggestion of chicken and pulled pork is a good one. Lots of water along with other beverages is a good idea too.

Good luck!
Wow, Colorado is so beautiful, I'm sure if you decide to have your wedding there, it will be amazing! I would love to have the reception at a family member's house (like your fiance's family's cabin), but all of the houses in Las Vegas (where we will be living at the time), including my family's and friend's, have very small backyards. My best friend and her husband had a great reception at her aunt's (large) house, which was awesome, and gave me the idea of having a small, casual wedding, though outside for our case.

Fortunately, I spent the first 18 years of my life in Las Vegas, so I can say with fairly strong certainty that the chance of rain is quite low (desert + drought), though of course, not impossible. I've been studying the National Weather Service's climate book index online, which is actually partly how I picked the date (March 27, 2010). Of course, I will be :f5: weather.com like a mad woman the week prior to the wedding day. The place that I've looked into renting tables and chairs from also rents canopies (on short notice, too), so I think I've got the weather thing covered. A rainy day wedding actually sounds kind of romantic to me, though we'll see how I'm feeling about that the day of. Haha.

As for food, I don't want to deal with a hot meal or rely on a willing guest to be in charge of a BBQ, so we're thinking about going with sandwich platters and fruit and veggies. I'll have to ask someone to pick up the platters the day of, but I think those things will be fine kept in a few coolers. As I talked about a few posts back, a lot of the guests are vegetarian (myself included), so just having chicken and pork won't work. We will have meat options for sure, though.

Good luck on your wedding! I'd love to hear how it works out and any more advice you pick up through planning it!

Your Daily Dose
Mar 4, 2008
SO I've been checking out this thread for the last year and a half and I'm happy to say our wedding is coming up in a month now.

We wanted to do things different so at first we decided on a destination wedding in Mexico with just close friends and family. Well, some people couldn't swing the cost of travel these days so we decided to wing it and figure something out here.

We decided on a pool party at a clubhouse where my sister owns a condo. the rental fee is ridiculously cheap. We;re having our favorite Mexican restaurant cater and grill for the guests. We got a couple bartenders we know to sling drinks and some DJ friends to DJ.

Then it came to the invitation. Daaaamn those things are expensive!

Until now.

$230 + postage and I came up with this...

DVD Wedding Invitation DVD Insert Front/Back:

DVD:

Postcard response card:
(Front)

(Back)

Postage is cheap for postcards so I thought it would save money and be a cool alternative.

Info card:

We packaged all these together with the response card and info card inside the DVD case.

This is what they saw...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0qizvwCVWo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've been engaged for two years and can't imagine being able to afford any sort of "traditional" wedding for at least another five. :( Very frustrating how expensive it all is.

On a more positive note, here is where I proposed (Whistler, BC, on the deck of a nice restaurant)

Click here for the full 1554x1061 image.

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

Get Down Come Up posted:

Then it came to the invitation. Daaaamn those things are expensive!

Until now.

$230 + postage and I came up with this...

Personally I think this all looks pretty tacky - why use the words like "sucks" and stuff on your wedding invitations? And a good portion of people probably threw away the DVD without even looking at it so you probably could have cut down costs even more. It looks like a bad CD cover, but if it's your thing, cool.

Also... is your love really supposed to represented by Hurley and Libby because she um dies... before they even really get to go out on a date.

KarmaCandy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 14, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 12, 2012

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

aneurysm posted:

Bad writing, worse graphic design. I understand wanting to be edgy and nontraditional, but that just looks like something a 14-year-old kid would come up with.

It looks like a great way to appeal to their friends and alienate their family and colleagues.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

It looks like a great way to appeal to their friends and alienate their family and colleagues.

Agreed. I wouldn't expect anyone over the age of 25 to show up at your wedding. I know if I received an invitation like this, I probably wouldn't go. It just sounds like a big old frat party to me.

Also, the phrase "bring the shorties with" irritates me to no end.

I do agree that post card RSVPs are a great way to go. I did that for my wedding. We handmade our invitations for a cost of about $1 each, although there was a lot of labor involved. But I had tons of people compliment us on them. So you can do classy invitations for cheap.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I did postcard RSVPs for my wedding too. Being a destination wedding, I think it worked out great. I made the front of them look like a vacation postcard, complete with the whole "Greetings from MEXICO" deal.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

quepasa18 posted:

Agreed. I wouldn't expect anyone over the age of 25 to show up at your wedding. I know if I received an invitation like this, I probably wouldn't go. It just sounds like a big old frat party to me.

Also, the phrase "bring the shorties with" irritates me to no end.

Since when are receptions not giant frat parties? I don't mean to derail here but you can't complain that ALL receptions must have free booze then at the same time claim its supposed to be a classy black tie affair. It's supposed to be a party to celebrate the joining of two people. If I can make it in to a huge party so be it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 12, 2012

Your Daily Dose
Mar 4, 2008
To defend ourselves...

We are tacky.

We are cheesy.

We do have foul mouths.

We're 30 so except for a few cousins, we won't have anyone there under 25. (Except for our's and other people's "shorties")

We don't drink but the promise of an open bar to those that do is great.

We were never in a frat or sorority. Can't stand that poo poo.

We love Lost. Hurley is fat, Libby isn't. It wasn't meant to represent our love. It was meant to show a fat guy and a normal chick.

The graphic design is an unfinished copy that I had on my laptop when posting this. it's also the first time I've ever even attempted graphic design.

The logo on the cover and response card used to just be a P and M which all of my friends and family know and recognize as my signature on paintings and other various creations since the fourth grade. Adding a K into it for Katie was something that really flattered her and our families and friends found very touching. To someone who doesn't know us I'm sure it does look like a bad CD cover. For us it's a way to join the two of us.

We come from families where having fun and not taking things so seriously is important. Because of this we chose friends who share the same type of outlook and humor. If you're the type of person who wouldn't enjoy this, chances are we wouldn't be friends and therefore wouldn't be invited to the wedding.

Absolutely no one in our family or people we work with were alienated. From old aunts to grandmothers and bosses, they all either called or emailed to comment on how much they liked it. My mom took it to work to show to all her coworkers. My grandma showed her friends. My fiance's boss asked if I could make a video for her daughter's invitation. A caterer saw the video at her friend's house and asked for a copy to show her clients and asked if I could make things similar for them. Our cake maker asked to put the video on her website. Our coordinator wants several copies to give to clients.

It was never our intention to appeal to strangers. It was something that was distinctly "us" that we and the people we love would get and appreciate. Putting it up here was an attempt to show something different that can be done for a low cost. I wasn't advertising or asking to write your vows.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?
(Edit) ^^^ Hey then if thats what floats you, go for it, nevermind.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: Nevermind.

Have a great wedding.

In other news, the whole reason I'm in the thread is to ask about engagement ideas. I picked up the ring last week, and I'm just waiting for the right time but I have no ideas on the proposal. A restaurant is out of the question, thought about doing it at a local vineyard but they all close way too early for me. (I'm in NoVa)

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 14, 2008

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!
Sorry if you already wrote it and I missed it, but what exactly is on the DVD? Did you have someone record your proposal to your fiance? If so, that's a pretty sweet idea!

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

You want to make a classic invitation that's fine but there's no reason to poo poo all over someone else's invite because it doesn't look good to you.

If they don't want any comments on it then they should keep it among friends and not post it on the internet. They wanted to show it as an alternative cheap option to invites and people have the right to express their opinion on it. People have said good things about it as well as bad. To me, it looks cheap and tacky and even if you use swear words in your everyday language, it doesn't mean it has to be on your wedding invitation. The black looks too dark for a wedding invitation to me, combined with the moon makes it sort of look like a Halloween party which doesn't really seem to vibe with the pool party mentality that they're going for.

I'm glad their family liked it and it's perfect for them but if you're putting it up on a site as a suggestion for other people to use then there's no reason those people can't comment on it and give input to other people considering using their ideas. I think using words like "suck" and "crap" in your wedding invite is not a good one and I'm sticking to that.

KarmaCandy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 14, 2008

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

In other news, the whole reason I'm in the thread is to ask about engagement ideas. I picked up the ring last week, and I'm just waiting for the right time but I have no ideas on the proposal. A restaurant is out of the question, thought about doing it at a local vineyard but they all close way too early for me. (I'm in NoVa)
A nice proposal is just one of those things where it has to make sense for you and your girlfriend. Do you guys go out to the same restaurant or a certain place often? Do it there. Have an inside joke about something/a place? Do it there. There is no universally accepted form of romance. Do what feels right for you two. I understand you're just looking for nice ideas to make the proposal as best as possible, but just do something that is romantic for YOU TWO, not what a bunch of strangers on the internet think would be cute.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Emilar posted:

A nice proposal is just one of those things where it has to make sense for you and your girlfriend. Do you guys go out to the same restaurant or a certain place often? Do it there. Have an inside joke about something/a place? Do it there. There is no universally accepted form of romance. Do what feels right for you two. I understand you're just looking for nice ideas to make the proposal as best as possible, but just do something that is romantic for YOU TWO, not what a bunch of strangers on the internet think would be cute.

Maybe I should've elaborated. I'm not looking to be told what to do, just ideas so then I can take those ideas and make something that I know she'll love. I'm not from around here and usually a night out is Pho and maybe a movie so I'm trying to make it special by incorporating other peoples ideas in to what I know I want to do.

Your Daily Dose
Mar 4, 2008

KarmaCandy posted:

To me, it looks cheap and tacky and even if you use swear words in your everyday language, it doesn't mean it has to be on your wedding invitation.

It doesn't have to be on YOUR wedding invitation. Or anyone else's. But it did on OURS.

KarmaCandy posted:

The black looks too dark for a wedding invitation to me, combined with the moon makes it sort of look like a Halloween party which doesn't really seem to vibe with the pool party mentality that they're going for.

Again, for YOU it looks too dark.

Did you miss the part of the invitation being disguised as a DVD? Did you forget to read the song lines below the moon?

KarmaCandy posted:

I'm glad their family liked it and it's perfect for them but if you're putting it up on a site as a suggestion for other people to use then there's no reason those people can't comment on it and give input to other people considering using their ideas.

Comment all you want. Tell me you hate it and want to burn our house down. I NEVER said other people should use it. I NEVER said to use our design, our video, our words. It's OUR example for OUR wedding. People can do whatever they want to do. The content isn't what it was put up for. The concept was what I wanted to share.

KarmaCandy posted:

I think using words like "suck" and "crap" in your wedding invite is not a good one and I'm sticking to that.

Most people probably share this opinion. We don't.

Enjoy your wedding.

______

Emilar, the youtube link shows what's on the DVD. It's a shoddily done trailer for a fake movie.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Get Down Come Up posted:

invite

I personally thought your invites were a bit weird, but I think that it's your wedding, so you should do what feels right for you. I didn't watch the youtube (stuck at work) but I really do like the idea of including a DVD. It makes a nice keepsake for your friends and family, especially those who can't make it to the wedding for whatever reason.

NovaCat
Apr 25, 2006
Engagement ring question: my white gold ring has been on my finger for about 11 months now, and its starting to show. I know I need to get it redipped and cleaned and all, but does anyone know how much this is going to set me back? Is this a thing I can go anywhere for? My ring is from Blue Nile, so I can't take it back to the place he purchased it from.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

do what now posted:

It makes a nice keepsake for your friends and family, especially those who can't make it to the wedding for whatever reason.

Say what you will about his invites, but I would never call it a keepsake.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

RedFish posted:

We didn't use a lawyer. We didn't need one, or want to pay for one when we were just as capable of filling out the paperwork ourselves. Our case was simple, straightforward, and my visa was approved so fast I sputtered and asked the Consular Officer at the end of my less than three-minute interview "Is that it?".

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have loads of questions as the process nears, so I really appreciate your offer. We've been using visajourney for a while now and we're just getting the K-1 petition packet ready to mail next week. We're not worrying about the fuss of a lawyer either, I think we're more than capable of filling out the paperwork ourselves. How long did it take you from start to finish, and if you don't mind me asking were you also going through the London embassy? The wait appears to be around 8 months now, so we're hoping he'll be in the U.S. for good around April of next year.

We're planning to have a really small ceremony near an old mill with our immediate families and two or three close friends. We thought about doing a quickie wedding, but I still wanted the girly thrill of wearing a pretty white dress in front of loved ones (which I bought for $30 at a vintage shop!!!) I don't think we're going to worry about the Advanced Parole stuff either. I'm still a student and I won't really be able to take time off for a honeymoon mid-semester. We're going to either go somewhere tropical before the wedding or to Alaska during my Christmas break. Aaah, I'm so glad there's another goon who went through this process. Thanks again and again :).

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

KarmaCandy posted:

How lucky of your friends and family to get to spend money on travel (gas prices, plane tickets, possible hotel room) and buy you a nice wedding present all for the mere joy of seeing you get married. It's really great that while you're special enough for them to do all that, they are only special enough for you to pay for a $7 - $10 for a drink. I bet your wedding present cost a lot more than that.
None of my guests are obligated to attend (and so far there are only three couples on the guest list who don't live locally, so the journey is not an issue). None of my guests are obligated to purchase presents.

Yes, I realise that they might be buying me nice presents, but you have no idea what my guests are like.

Are you saying I should hike the cost from $55 per head to $95 per head so that everyone can have as much to drink as they want? Do you want my reception to double in price for the sake of one or two people who might get offended? Most of my guests don't drink, so all that drink money is wasted on them.

Also the money for their drinks is coming straight out of my pocket. One set of parents won't pay for drinks (that's their stance) and the other set of parents haven't offered to pay for drinks.

The most important thing that you have missed is that I will be paying for drinks for a few of my guests, but I am not going to have people getting pissed on my dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

kimihia posted:

The most important thing that you have missed is that I will be paying for drinks for a few of my guests, but I am not going to have people getting pissed on my dime.

I didn't miss it, I said it was cheap. If you want to give out suggestions then expect them to be commented on.