Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
I think casual weddings are part of my family, except one sister who had hers in a church. My parents and other sisters all had outdoor casual weddings and my fiance (who had a big formal wedding and hated it) brought up the idea of a small casual wedding, just another reason why I love her, lol. We are probably going to be having it at her family's cabin near Creede, Co next year.

Biggest issue is knowing the typical weather if going outdoors for your area. If it is a national park or similar the best people to talk to are the Park Rangers who work in the area. Don't rely on it 100%, plan for rain and put up a couple of those awning things if there isn't hard cover available, if nothing else it's some extra shade. Plan food that is easy to transport and doesn't matter if it's hot at time of serving, the suggestion of chicken and pulled pork is a good one. Lots of water along with other beverages is a good idea too.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
Throwing my question in here first..

Gonna propose soon. We've talked about it at various times and she's made it obvious she doesn't want an engagement ring (her second marriage). Unrelated conversations she has said one of her dreams is getting a 1955-1957 Chevy Bel-Air. I was thinking of making the car her engangement present instead. Not restored, way too much money. But finding a good shell to restore ourselves which was part of the conversations since I enjoy working on cars (I've restored a few before, thanks for the skills Dad!)..

What do you guys and more important girls think? Good idea or bad?

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

tindjin posted:

Chevy Bel Air question..

Thanks all. Yea I've known her long enough to usually pick up on her "tells" when she really doesn't want something and when she just thinks it's too much or wanting it as a suprise so that shouldn't be a problem..

I like the idea of using a ring box with the keys in it or something, I'll be using that.

Again thanks for the feed back. ;o)

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
Okay so getting close to popping the question and we got one big conversation coming up, money. I make about 3 times what she does which neither of us has an issue with. We haven't talked about it seriously yet but I'm wondering how this conversation went with you and your SO and what the outcome was?

Currently I'm leaning towards the "combo" method. We each keep separate accounts but have a joint account for household bills, vacations, kids, large purchases. We keep separate accounts for smaller personal things (we both have wildly different hobbies), gifts and that kind of thing. I'm not 100% sure of the splits but I want to make it fair as in, I make 3x what she does I'd pay 3x what she does into the joint account. Obviously this would be a sliding scale based on what each of us is making.

I don't like full joint account because I'd like to be able to suprise her when I can and her seeing a charge to a jeweler or a big cash withdrawl would kind of ruin it.

I also don't really like completely seperate accounts and just splitting up who pays what bill. There always seemed to be issues that would creep up with this when I lived with someone in previous relationships.

I've looked all over online and talked to a few friends about it, ones that don't mind talkinig about that kind of thing, but thought maybe I'd get some more experiences from here.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
Trying to find other examples of the ring below..

http://shopping.schubachstore.com/Style-10298-Half-Bezel-Set-Round-Stone-Anniversary-Band

My hopefully soon-to-be really likes this style and it works with her being able to wear it all day (she has to wear gloves in a lab setting). She always hates taking off her other rings because they can catch on the latex and rip it.

Anyone have any comments about this store or know of other reputable stores that would have this kind of a ring? Most of my G searches turn up low cost online stores that raise red flags just from looking at their website or the costs.

ETA: Or if someone could give me a better way of describing this style of ring that would be awesome also.

Thanks for any help that is provided.

Tindjin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 26, 2011

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

candywife posted:

I just got engaged about a month ago. :toot:
This is kinda E/N but...I'm really nervous though cause our parents haven't met yet and I don't want them to meet each other at our wedding.
The problem is that my parents are alcoholics who are drunk all the time, but are very nice and chatty people.
His parents are both recovering alcoholics (10+ years sober), and very quiet and awkward people.
They're pretty much opposites. I'm worried that them meeting each other will go over horribly, especially since my parents can be pretty pushy about making other people drink. I realize they're just trying to be "good hosts" but to a sober person, it really comes off as them pressuring people into drinking.
What can I do to make the introduction go smoothly?

Just wondering but why not talk to your parents and let them know that his parents don't drink and ask them not to push it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
Asked my girlfriend last night and she said yes. We have a ton of history, dated in HS, 15yr separation since then until 3 yrs ago. I happened to run into a mutual friend who then told her and she got my email and we started talking then dating again. Talking wedding mid to late May 2012 of a pretty simple affair.

Thanks to JohnnyRnR for his help with the ring. Beautiful eternity style ring with 21 - .10 carat diamonds tha just sparkle like crazy.

It was interesting calling around to family and close friends letting them know. "uh hey good morning, so asked "S" to marry me last night and she said yes." etc.. I am deffinitely not a big phone talker and outside of work that was more phone conversations in one morning than I've probably had in the last 6-8 months.