Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Santclair
Aug 6, 2006

by angerbotSD

limegrnxj posted:

Anybody have any intersting second wedding stories or advice?

My uncle is currently in his second marriage and it went just great. Rather than do the big ole church wedding again (he's not religious but our family is Catholic, she's Jewish, it would have been a problem anyways) they had a civil service in one of those 'five minute wedding' places in Vegas. It was cheap, it was REALLY fun (we stayed in Circus Circus because there were gonna be a whole bunch of kids along) and ten years later they're still married, which is twice as long as his first marriage to the crazy bitch lasted. I adore my aunt, and everything is generally pretty awesome.

the one problem they had (that I can remember, I was like 9 at the time) is certain members of both families were comparing both the ceremony and the spouse to the previous ones, occasionally unfavorably. If that happens, don't pay it any mind; this is YOUR wedding, not the ex's. Don't feel like you have to live up to whatever standard the previous wedding set. Do as you please, and if the gossips don't like it, well, gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santclair
Aug 6, 2006

by angerbotSD

limegrnxj posted:

This is what I'm afraid of I think. All my nosy rear end, gossipy relatives, showing up, pretending to be nice, and then being all catty behind my back. But I guess I'll have to (wo)man up and deal with it. I also come from a family where I'm only like the second person in most of the entire extended family to get divorced. I guess I'm just afraid of being judged. But, as my fiancee points out, it's not about me, it's about giving people a chance to congratulate us. I think we will wind up doing something very similar to what littlecat posted. :) Eventually. We haven't even picked a month yet. Or a season really. lol. No rush.

I wouldn't neccessarily say it's not about you at all. It's your wedding, it's the ceremony in which you are joining with your fiancee in a million different ways and trying to cement your relationship for good. It doesn't always work out that way and it's unfortunate that circumstances led to you not staying in your first marriage, but that's ok.

Good luck anyways, sounds like you guys are gonna have a lot of fun. I'm only 19 so I'm nowhere near being married yet, so I have to sit and listen to everyone else talk about their marriages and dream.

Speaking of age, my grandparents just celebrated their 70th anniversary (they're 86 and 89). :aaaaa:

Santclair
Aug 6, 2006

by angerbotSD

ElanoreMcMantis posted:

People think you have to be tacky to get married in Vegas, but some of the hotels are amazingly reasonably priced for what they offer, it takes soooooo much stress away from it, and there is something for everyone there.

For our wedding I'm walking down the aisle to 'Blackbird' by the Beatles played by a live guitarist, we have traditional attire for the chapel (except he is wearing a suit and not a tux). Its broadcast live online, we get a DVD, ton of pictures, two nights in a big suite, wine and cheese each day, champagne breakfast (except I can't drink it, pregnant!), a basket of gifts (garter, etc) to take home, all of the flowers, etc. etc. A bunch of family and friends are coming along.

I looked at nearly every venue I could find online. If anyone has any questions, just ask.

This is pretty much what my uncle and his second wife did, and we had SO MUCH FUN. I was about nine so I don't remember much except the Circusdome at Circus Circus and all the fun stuff we did before/after, but iirc it was something like 40 people there and they managed to get everyone a room for some ridiculous price. I'm seriously considering Vegas when I get married later on.

E:

Gravitee posted:

I had a classical guitarist perform during the ceremony and cocktail hour.

My parents had a classical guitarist too, and their processional was a gorgeous arrangement of Wachet Auf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyWOIKCtjiw&feature=related

Imagine that on a guitar instead of a trumpet and you've got the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ8czdx_AOM&feature=related

there it is on guitar. It rocks.

Santclair fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 27, 2009