Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I'm starting to do some research on purchasing an engagement ring for my girlfriend, and I'm pretty overwhelmed with all of my options. I do already have a 1 carat round-cut diamond from my mom's wedding ring (she upgraded a few years ago), that I intend to use as center diamond. Am I going to have issues with purchasing only a band from retailers, or is that common? Also, if a person sets aside $X for a ring, how much of that cost usually goes toward the stone itself? Given that I got the stone for free I'm hoping I can spend a little extra on a nicer band, but I don't want to go too nuts and make the stone look ridiculous by comparison. I'm trying to decide how expensive of a band would be appropriate to sort of "match" the stone I have.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

That really depends on what your potential fiance wants. There are a variety of settings, from really "blingy", to decoratively engraved, to simple bands. You should also consider the profile of the setting. A traditional Tiffany's 6-prong setting sticks out a lot, while other settings keep the stone at a lower profile.

That said, the big chunk of the costs is usually the center diamond. Since you already have that, then contact a jeweler that you trust and go to town. Setting a pre-owned stone is common. Fancier bands often go in the $1000+ range, so it really depends on your budget and recipient's desires.

I had originally budgeted about $10,000 for the whole engagement ring. So I guess what I'm really asking is how ridiculous it would be to go out an buy a $10,000 band for a 1 carat diamond?

Thanks for pointing out the profile of the setting issues. I think I have some decisions to make.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Can anyone recommend a company for jewelry insurance?

My parents were kind enough to let me use my mom's original diamond in the engagement ring I'm buying for my girlfriend. The jeweler has indicating that their warranty/guaranty will only cover the engagement ring itself, and not the main diamond, because it didn't come from their store. The diamond was previously appraised at $10K, and I'm spending about $3.2K on the engagement ring setting, so I'd really like to get the whole ring insured somewhere. I don't have any insurance other than car insurance--so no current policy that this could fall under or be added to. Tried some Googling, but I can't tell which insurance companies are legit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really out of my element here.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can you just add a rider to your existing homeowners / renters insurance?

I don't have any insurance other than car insurance--so no current policy that this could fall under or be added to.

amethystbliss posted:

My ring is insured with Jewelers Mutual. So far, so good.

Great, I'll check them out.