Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arafel
Sep 5, 2006
Ooooh Shiny!

AWSEFT posted:

I'm getting married in August.

Most of the major stuff is planned with the exception of the rehearsal dinner. My (soon to be) mother in law is really cool on everything except the rehearsal dinner. She wants us to invite all the out of town guests (which is 95% of our guest list). When we told her no, she keeps interjecting that we should invite her brother so and so, or sister so and so. She doesn't seem to get how it would be unfair to everyone else. We are trying to keep the wedding about us, enjoy it, and not making it a big production out of it.

So, the reason for my :rant:. I know you don't HAVE to invite out of town guests to a rehearsal dinner. But is this some sort of standard thing?

I am not sure if you are still in the same predicament, but a friend of mine had a great idea for out of town guests since 90% of the people traveled for his son's wedding.
They rented a fishing boat for the guys and had a champagne breakfast for everyone else at the (beach side) hotel. This was entertaining and in walking distance of the hotel where everyone was staying.
That way the guests were all entertained without the bride or groom needing to be around. They also gave out little favor boxes to all of the hotel rooms and included detailed directions, times, etc, for everything.
It certainly doesn't make it cheaper to do this. Since it seemed as though intimacy and entertaining were the real issues something like this could be fun.
Your MIL may also have some fun ideas for things her family would enjoy doing in your area, especially since she said she was willing to foot part of the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU