Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

I got engaged on March 18th (11 days after our 3rd anniversary of dating). When we went to see my parents for Christmas, he and I hung around my dad's restaurant just to spend some time with my parents and to help out a little. While I was up front helping out my mom, my boyfriend(fiance) was just watching my dad cook and do things in the kitchen. Turns out he also asked my dad about what he would think of us getting married.

My parents gave their blessing, as long as we get married after we both have finished up college and have a job (lined up, at least). They got married with only my dad working, and moving together to a new country for that job (left Italy for Bermuda), and ended up having me 9 months later, so having money was hard on them. They want us to be financially set before we have the actual ceremony in mind.

My fiance proposed to me the day before I drove back home to spend my spring break with my family. It was simple, but it was heartfelt. He basically just said how he couldn't believe we had already been together for three years, and that he couldn't imagine being with anyone else. He gave me a ring that fits me...a .36 karat blue diamond, with two small white diamonds set in a white gold setting.

We're following the specs that my parents preferred, so that should land us getting married in 2010-ish. Next year I will have to really start the whole wedding process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

As my nonno passed away yesterday, it made me think about where exactly I will eventually have my wedding. My fiance's family all lives in Ohio and South Carolina, while my family all lives in Italy (Monopoli, Polignano a Mare and Castellana Grotte) with some of my cousins in Frankfurt, Germany and Paris, France. Now, its easy for my family in Europe to get together in Italy, but with the way the exchange rate is, my fiance's family could not afford it. I would love to have my family around at my wedding, when it happens, but wherever we have it, it will cause conflict. I know, at least, that I want my nonni there since they would want to see it (I'm the oldest grandchild of my mom's parents, 5th on my dad's side...just his mom now).

Unless I somehow win the lottery and am able to pay for everyone to fly over to Italy (or the US), this is going to cause me lots of headaches over the next two years. I really, really want to have my wedding in Italy just because I want to follow the our local traditions.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Been a while since I last checked this thread, I just wanted to thank the people for the suggestions. They all seem possible, just now I need to find the way to get my fiance to agree to it eventually. I know my family would consider it very important that I got married in a Roman Catholic ceremony (for tradition) at the church in Italy where my parents were married and I was baptised. So, if the dollar keeps this up, I'll probably do the suggestions I was given in this topic. Thanks once again!

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

quote:

A. If you are female and engaged/married - did you pick out your ring? If not, do you like what your SO picked out for you? Would you have preferred something else? Did you discuss at all what your likes/dislikes were beforehand?

Yes, I picked my ring out. I wanted something a bit different, so I got a blue stone in the center with two white diamonds on either side in a white gold setting. He just held onto the ring until he thought the time was right to formally propose.

Speaking of my engagement...looks like it'll be another year longer due to the economy. We were planning on a summer 2010 wedding with planning starting next summer, but mainly due to the uncertainty of finding a job for my fiance when he graduates this spring and myself in 2010, our parents would prefer us to wait another year longer to make sure we have stable jobs. I understand it, but it just sucks to wait another year...even if it makes it a bit easier for us to get our far away families to come. Especially when I was all ready to look at wedding dresses this summer. :(

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Finally decided on a date, so it looks like it will most likely be on Saturday May 21, 2011. When I go home to visit my parents in March, hopefully with my fiance, we will get talking with the church already to start booking stuff. I would like to try for the basilica in Philadelphia, so more than 2 years out I might be able to get it. If not, our local parish will do.

Just need to figure out a place to do the reception now, and then do my wedding dress next year :(.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

jomiel posted:

A little late to the name discussion--I was wondering if anyone is a different ethnicity from their fiance and what was other people's responses to meeting you.

Just saw this post...my fiance and I have been discussing the whole naming thing as well. In Italy, it is customary not to change your name after you are married. My parents are like that, my grandparents, etc. Plus, my name is really unique both in Italy and especially in the United States, and I would like my name to go on.

Plus, my fiance has an incredibly common name,Gardner, that just wouldn't sound right with my first name, which is Italian. He wants to take my name, but he doesn't want to deal with the whole name change process, so he's open to the idea of us both keeping our names and giving our future children my last name. In a way, its happened in my family before; my dad has his mom's name since her and my grandfather were not legally married until 1988 (unfortunately, my grandfather's name was extremely unique...there is not a whole lot of them left).

Ah well, we still have some time to go before we have to sign off on the documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

I just got the permit in the mail to get married at the Jefferson Memorial grounds in DC on August 15th! We moved to the area in January, though he's been here since last August when he started a job at the IRS in the district. We've been engaged for 3 years, but kept pushing it off since money stuff was in the way. If you want one of the NPS wedding locations in DC, the base is just $50 to process the paperwork...nice and cheap.

After all this time, our parents finally caved and feel fine with letting us have a non-church, intimate wedding. They still want it to be blessed in the church in the future, so I'm fine with that.

Now to hope that it won't be downpouring on the day since you aren't allowed to have tents and stuff on park grounds.