Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?
I'm getting married April 14th 09 in Vegas (at the Paris hotel):

$500 Plane tickets
$2800 Wedding package. This includes:

# Guitarist throughout Ceremony
# Bride's Bouquet
# Matching Groom's Boutonniere
# Matching Maid of Honor Bouquet
# Matching Best Man's Boutonniere
# Wired, French Lace Pew Bows
# Unity Candle Service
# Professional Digital-Ceremony Photography
# Studio Photo Session for the Newlyweds
# Wedding Ceremony DVD
# Online Webcasting
# 24 - 4x6 Photographs
# One Hour On-Property Photography Tour for the Bride & Groom (immediately following the ceremony)
# 4x6 Photo Album
# Wedding Certificate Holder
# A Bottle of Champagne
# A Pair of Paris Champagne Glasses
# Two Night's Stay in a LeMans Petite Suite***
# Rose Petals for Your Suite
# Chocolate Covered Strawberries for Two
# Champagne Breakfast in Bed Gift Certificate
# In-Suite Wine & Cheese Welcome Amenity
# Bride's Lace Garter

Also, friends and family are permitted to bring their own cameras, the only rule is no flash in the chapel and no tripods. Since I was a photo major, and a bunch of my friends were too, the longer exposures inside will help out, and outside I can have them do pictures for me.

$500 Hotel for two extra days

$1500 plane/cruise tickets for honeymoon

$800 Food for 250 people (cooking free, go mom club! My mom, stepmom, and his mom are staying at my MIL's house for 2 days prior to the reception and they're going to have the ultimate cooking party)

$250 Wedding dress. Originally $2200. Badass deal.

Music for reception: Free (friends!)

Still to add:

Reception decor
Hall rental (most likely free)
Spending money for Vegas/honeymoon

Total so far: $6350 (But my Dad is paying for the food)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

I never in my life heard of an A/B list. I would be really, really offended just because its like "You can come, if so-and-so doesn't". I'd rather just not be invited at all.

Everyone I know would be totally horrified if we did that. I come from small-townland though so, its to be expected. We don't expect everyone to fly to Vegas, but we're inviting everyone. Our reception is already driving me bonkers though. Where the hell do I put 300 people and what the hell do I feed them? So far the plan is to do a very low-key BBQ style dinner with some music and lots of beer.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Farewell Horizon posted:

And ElanoreMcMantis, I was under the impression it wasn't "you can only come if so and so doesn't", but rather a direct invitation for cake and cocktails, with no dinner on the horizon.

Oh I see! No, that wouldn't bother me at all then.

Gravitee, may I ask what type/where you got your planner book?

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Bean Trap posted:

For the "bachelor/ette party," I think the whole wedding party is going out for a really good beer or something. I'm friends with all the groomsmen and -women, so I want to hang out with them, of course. Also, strippers are icky, male or female.

Whats funny about my bachelorette party is that its 99% boys and they all can't wait to get me drunk and buy me lapdances. As long as the stripper is cute, whatever, it'll be a ruckus night. I'd love to see my fiance getting a lapdance, he'd blush himself bloodless.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Posting to bicker about how much finding a nice hall that does catering sucks so very much.

The hall I originally wanted is booked for my date. I am so bummed out because its a huge ballroom with a stage, huge seating area, dancefloor, and bar. Its only $14.95 a head for the served dinner, basic but universally good food (chicken and beef dishes), and then $12.95 a head for beer, wine, coffee and soda bar, and they'd let us do a cash liquor bar. Some people think cash liquor bar is tacky, but I don't see the point in paying for 200 people to drink liquor when maybe 30 of them will actually do it. So now I have the choice of changing my date (and really April 18th is the only Saturday that will work, and considering our wedding is in Vegas on the 14th, I don't want to have to rush back), or finding somewhere else. I've found two places that let you hire your own catering, but they're both kind of small and like I mentioned my guest list is already at 200.

We looked into this one resort near us, but they want $85.00 a person before tax and a 19% gratuity (EVERYWHERE else is 18%). Thats their minimum package, and the minimum number is 125 people. They have packages going up to $110 a head. Thats just silly to me, to spend upwards of 15 grand on one day.

I'm just amazingly frustrated at this point. My dad is paying for the reception, but he makes less than I do in a year and he has my 10 year old stepsister. Asking him to drop around a quarter of his annual salary is just not in my cards. I couldn't enjoy it knowing I did that.

Edit:

How we decided our date: Our birthdays are on June 14th and August 14th. Valentine's Day is Feb 14th. So it will go V-day --two months-- wedding anniversary -2 months- his birthday -2 months- my birthday. Now if I could only time pregnancy to the day....

Lady googooGaGa fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 6, 2008

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Skutter posted:

For those of you who had a destination wedding: Did you also have a bridal shower? Is it considered tacky to invite people to the shower that aren't coming to the wedding (they're not coming not because I didn't invite them, but because it's a destination wedding and not everyone can go)? Also, has anyone ever done a co-ed shower? I've heard of co-ed baby showers and bachelor/bachelorette parties, but not bridal showers. Lastly, how do I make my shower not suck?

My MOH is throwing me one. I'm under the impression that the MOH is supposed to do it in tandem with your mom or other important ladies in your life. I've never heard of someone throwing their own.

On doing with a destination wedding, we are. Its not co-ed, but since we got a discounted hotel rate for the people who are traveling we just put a note on the save the date cards that we are sending out that if they want to join us they can and to contact us. I'm sure there will be people there not going to Vegas, but they will most likely come to the reception.

I've heard of 'wedding showers' which are for the couple instead of just the bride, but again, I've never been to one.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Gravitee posted:

I went to a coed shower last year and it wasn't too bad. The guys just watched tv and played video games while the girls played party games (gag) and talked.

The 'gag' comment in this post got my attention. At my SIL's shower it was like 50% fun games and 50% snore. I think the trick with games is finding games that involve everyone and are kind of funny.

One we all laughed and laughed at was a game where she was asked 25 questions about her hubby to be, and every time she got one wrong she had to chew a piece of gum. The questions were not like 'whats his favorite color?', they were like 'if he had to pick a song to describe you what would it be?' Her MOH went and asked him all the responses before the shower. Just to see her trying to chew like 15 pieces of gum and drooling and being silly was pretty fun. Some people find that stuff lame, but I thought it was cute.

We also did bingo, where we had to fill in all the blocks with gifts we thought she got. I knew most of them as I helped with her registry so I won.

We did one that was half embarrassing half hilarious where everyone wrote a 'bedroom tip' on a slip of paper and then she had to read them aloud and try to guess who wrote what. The best was 'Lay very still and pray for it to be over' -- that was their grandmother, and the look on everyone's face before the ruckus laughter was one of the most memorable parts.

I think the key to not having everyone fall asleep while you open gifts and such is to make a game of it. My MOH quietly took notes in her phone the entire time about what engaged people and what didn't and I thought it was so sweet of her, she really wants it to be a fun experience, she's a doll. I almost want to marry her instead.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

For those of you concerned with paying it for yourselves or having a lower budget -- I feel your stress, but also promise you can work through it. My Dad has offered to help us, but I am NOT comfortable with him footing the bill, so aside from food (as in, actual food, not prep) we are paying for everything. Now, we did choose Vegas, which took a lot off our hands as far as preparing went, because we paid them and our coordinator just sends me emails asking specific questions, etc.

As far as the reception, we were looking at $85 - $110 a head with bar for served beef roast, and I thought it sucked so hard. So instead we decided to do a pasta bar, with a ton of different kinds of pasta (regular, whole wheat, veggie), sauces, and then we are renting an enormous long skillet, and having a table of different meats and cheeses and veggies and shrimp and other pasta bits and hiring in an actual chef to prep. Each person takes their plate (so we can still do settings), puts the meat/top stuff they want on it, and the chef prepares it for them right there, mixing it in with the sauce/pasta of their choice. This also eliminated 'how do we pick food because not everyone likes this/that'. Then were getting a side of beef and a ton of chicken breasts, and a small caesar salad bar so people can even do a chicken caesar salad if they want.

I like this for a variety of reasons. There is a ton you can do with the food tables, if you think it out you can organize it in a way that causes guests to mingle and such, and a lot of it can be done yourself. I didn't want to spend 10k on a reception that had bland food. I can put 1/3 of that in and have an amazing party.

Something to think about. I didn't even think of it until my boss (who has been to a billion weddings from firehouses to huge $100,000 parties) suggested it. He said it was one of the best weddings he ever attended because people had so much fun with the food.

Edit: Also, if you are handy in the kitchen learn to make fondant and do your own cake. I flat out refused to pay hundreds or thousands for a cake that 70% of people won't eat anyway. We got an adorable topper as an engagement gift.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Also: Now while I am thinking about it, if anyone wants to pm me with their email I will send you all the links/bookmarks/etc that I have saved and we could probably get a masterlist of good resources together. I found SO much through asking around.

Edit: Also if anyone is dress hunting and on a tight budget I have a dress I was going to use posted in the Girls Lets Shop thread in W&W. It says 12, but I'm a 6, and it was just a bit loose at the sides and had a fair amount room in the bust. It was originally 2250, I paid 250, and I haven't worn it except to try on, but I'd be willing to sell it for any reasonable offer just because I dont know what the poo poo to do with it (I found another dress I liked better because I could order it to fit). If interested let me know and I can do an SA mart thread or something. It's not the one on the model, its the one with my face blacked out. If you want more detail shots or whatever, pm me. It might even be good for just the material although the top is so nice I can't see getting rid of it. I don't know, if I don't sell it I'll probably just cut it into a straight gown or something. Oh, and it has a matching beaded shawl too.

Lady googooGaGa fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 4, 2008

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

(Edit) ^^^ Hey then if thats what floats you, go for it, nevermind.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

KarmaCandy posted:

I didn't miss it, I said it was cheap. If you want to give out suggestions then expect them to be commented on.

(pardon the wall of text)

Up until last Saturday I would have said I agree with you entirely. I grew up in a family that at one point had an obscene amount of money and later ended up being lower middle class due to a series of circumstances. Even after my family was 'poorer', there was still a certain set of rules that were followed, and you did NOT have a cash bar or 'money dance' at a wedding. It didn't happen. You would have been called tacky and cheap, and even though our family's friends stuck by us when everything happened (and some of these people OWN coal companies), they still would have been absolutely horrified to find themselves buying a drink at a wedding. Seriously, picture people shuddering in disgust, because I thought they would have.

However, my fiance and I went to a wedding last weekend for one of the girls from a family that I always thought was even wealthier than mine, even when we had money. She always had new pretty clothes each year, she was in a myriad of expensive school activities, drove a new but sensible car, bought lunch every day. I never once assumed her family wasn't doing just fine. Her parents are old for our age (we are 25 and theyre in their mid sixities), but I figured whatever they did kept them well off.

The reason I say this all is because people judge. Maybe its my upbringing, I have no idea, but I know that I do and have done it in lots of situations. You just assume people have or can do things, and if they don't you guess they have little or no money. I don't think less of them for it, but thems the breaks.

When we got there, the wedding was in a very pretty church with a choir singing hymns. To much surprise, the only flowers were a single large altar bouquet and what the girls held and the men's bouts.

At the reception it was open bar prior to dinner (as per usual), and then -- Shock! beer/wine/soda after dinner. Appetizers were simple cheese and cracker dishes with some shrimp cocktail, buffet style. Everyone then got a slice of cake after the meal. That was it.

I'm kind of a snob, so one would think this would offend me, and to be honest, it didn't matter even the littlest bit. The bartender said "After dinner drinks are a mix of b/w/s and cash liquor" and I said "Sure, how much do I owe you for a gin?" (It was $5.00) By the time I even realized it I was back at my table enjoying myself.

Well, I got to talking with one of her bridesmaids who is a closer friend of both us and her family, and I mentioned how clean and simple and nice everything was. I said that it was one of the only weddings that I ever went to that felt that intimate and about the couple, and it was refreshing. She then told me that the bride was almost hysterical over how much everything cost, because she didn't want to offend and leave anyone out, but with his family footing the bill for the reception, she didn't feel right inviting more than just family, until her mother-in-law told her to invite everyone she wanted and they would make it work. Even after that she felt really terrible about her parents not being able to pay.

At that point if anyone would have said anything bitchy about the drinks to me I would have told them to stuff it in their bottom. I was impressed and moved by how gracious it was of her and her fiance's family to have us even though we aren't that close. We got to spend a really special time with some really great people.

So I don't know if that means I have made a decent into tackydom, but in my opinion I think its a just fine solution. A month ago I might have cringed at the idea, but not a single person was bothered by it (that said anything), and half a week later everyone is still talking about how beautiful it was. These are much different times and a much different economy. Everyone for the most part is tighter, and even those who are not financially burdened by it understand that some people are. If people don't get this, they should probably do everyone involved a favor and shove it.

Looking back, here is how she probably saved a lot:

1 - Nixed pew bows/flowers/aisle runner and found a great church that spoke for itself
2 - She's a music teacher, had her choir sing hymns (it was breathtaking)
3 - Open bar for one hour prior to dinner (not premium liquor), beer wine and soda during and after.
4 - Had a graphic designer friend do a nice slide show to show during dinner. This was really, really sweet and almost everyone was teary-eyed.
5 - Found a great photographer via craigslist, had her do some portraits to be sure her portfolio and work matched
6 - Two choices for dinner, one chicken, one seafood (crab stuffed flounder) sides were potatoes and green beans (whole), with simple appetizers of cheese/crackers/fruit and shrimp cocktail -- buffet style.
7 - Centerpieces were clear glass dishes with floating candles and rose petals. Simple but still very pretty.
8 - Each guest got a small box with 5 or 6 heart-shaped dove chocolates.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

CalamityKate posted:

Is there an existing market for a person I can hire just to be the go-between for my mom and I? :psyduck:

Oh my lord, I feel you on that. My mother does not ever shut up. She made me go to a separate dinner for each of my aunts and uncles, family friends, etc. etc. after I got engaged just so they could be invited. I finally snapped and said I wasn't doing anymore schmoozing. She has barely talked to me in two months because of it.

However my other mom (long story), was pretty easy. I just said "Hey mum I'm pretty stressed out and you aren't helping, but if you want to help you could _______"

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

KarmaCandy posted:

There are so many classier options in between to consider as well.

Yes, on this I do agree with you. I think vouchers make it too much 'in your face' and a segregated 'special people' tab would be off putting. I think if you're doing to do any partial bar being subtle is kind of important.

Sorry if it seemed like I was jumping on you, I wasn't trying to.

As far as bar options go there are MANY, and if your caterer isn't going to work with you, you need to find one who will. I live in Podunk and I have lots of choices.

Ideas to consider:

Pre meal open bar, soda/coffee/water during dinner, b/w/s afterward + cash liquor
Pre meal b/w/s, during meal soda/coffee/water/, full cash bar after

Stuff like that.

Also you can always find a hall, rent the hall, get a caterer for food and do your own booze provided the hall allows it. We are doing this for our wedding, paying some bartenders at places we frequent to do the wedding and then just buying several barrels of popular beers, and mixer liquor (because most people here love beer). Our food is going to be a pasta bar and beef and chicken, and we rented out the space without catering and hired our own. It went from being around $110 a head to around $50 this way.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

squirrellypoo posted:

We're having two receptions, but we're still in the planning stages. I grew up in Pennsylvania but moved to the UK 6 years ago, and my fiance is English so the bulk of our guestlist is in the UK. We're planning on having our ceremony and reception at Bletchly Park (UK) and then having a smaller reception in Pennsylvania a week or so later, but we're having a hard time finding a venue that isn't completely soulless like the interior of a newbuild housing development. I'm actually surprised at the amount of people who are flying over, though - most of my relatives are coming to London and his parents really want to go to both (despite my warnings that PA is not like NYC or Florida, which is the only parts most Brits ever see). So make sure you ask if they want to come rather than assuming they'll want to go to the closest one...

Planning the PA one is going to be a big hassle, but at least my mom's there to take care of all the stuff on the ground. It'll also probably help that, beyond the venue itself, I really couldn't give a poo poo about the details. So whatever she wants to do is fine, really (she eloped and so did my brother, so this is her only chance to do wedding stuff).

What part of PA? I'm planning my reception in PA (wedding in Vegas) so if you're area is close or closeish I could assist with a few lists and prices at least.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

squirrellypoo posted:

There's one place in Lancaster my mom found that looks promising, but I need to run the photos past my fiance first and see if they're free (and how many hotel rooms are free) but we need to get a date sorted for the UK side of things before we can set a PA date. So hopefully that will happen in a few weeks. But if you've got any ideas I'm very happy to hear them because I'm not married to any of the ideas yet (pun intended).

If you're looking at Lancaster check out the Historic Strasburg Inn as well as Mulberry Art Studios. I am a bit too far north to use either (too many elderly guests to travel), but I went to a wedding at HSI and it was really quite nice, and Mulberry seemed really cool and the lady I emailed with was very nice.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

moana posted:

I'd be interested to hear what other people have to think about this, but the idea that a ring should require some sort of sacrifice (for what? so that he can prove to me just how much he cares?) sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

I think it's pretty sad for the people who think like that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but making someone suffer financially when you're going to be marrying them is loving weird.

I will confess this one time, because I think it might put things in perspective for some other people. I haven't told anyone at home because I'm not interested in hearing any BS where I am in close enough proximity to punch someone for being a moron. Some people I'm sure would find it off putting:

My ring was 'used'. It was a trade up, the couple traded it in to go bigger because the girl wasn't satisfied.

I originally wanted this 3 carat total weight multi-band $12000 monstrosity. I tried it on every time I went past the store. He was redoing our entire household budget and trying to find the best rate to finance what he couldn't pay up front so I could have this ring. I was obsessed. Being the awesome person that he is, he wanted me to be happy, and was willing to 'sacrifice' to make me happy. After all I have to wear it The Rest Of My Life.

One day I happened to walk into his office/rec room and catch him fiddling with numbers. He was explaining how if he cut here and there I could get it. Talking to him I just started to feel really lovely. Like, I'm not getting engaged for the ring, I'm doing it because he is the one I want to be with. So I finally said 'gently caress it' and told him just to pick something he knew I would like.

We went to the drive-in one night with a bunch of our friends and he proposed at the end of the movie. It was the single best moment of my life. The ring is a 1 carat center stone, with 16 small baguettes over a cathedral setting, and two bands of medium rounds that fuse into a single band at the back. Kays has a similar ring that I had at one point said was nice, and he remembered and tried to match it with a local guy. Total weight is 2.5 carats, and I won't say exactly what he paid, but it was around $2000. Just because someone else owned it, and most girls would wig the gently caress out and not want it.

It looks new as gently caress, and I love this ring. I get soooo many compliments and I really enjoy being able to say that he went out and got it himself. I don't believe in superstition, and I guess some people would call it 'cursed', but if someone was stupid enough to trade this monster in because they wanted something bigger, cool. I got a hella inexpensive and lovely ring out of it, and we don't have to eat ramen because of my diamond hunger.

The jeweler told my fiance that a LOT of people don't realize that they can get double what they normally would if they don't mind the fact that someone has owned it before. The rings are always buffed and polished and cleaned, and some shady places wouldn't even mention it because they don't HAVE to. They end up looking like new again. Maybe I'm country or whatever, but if someone said "This ring cost $500 and has been on a finger" and "This same one has not been worn and cost $1000" it would be silly to take the thousand dollar one. gently caress, the diamond was touched by whoever mined it, polished it, cut it, what the hell ever. That extra money can go toward your new life together, which is what all this nonsense is about anyway.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

I just found out that I'm going to be a big sister at age 25. Exactly two weeks before my wedding. I'm thrilled, but worried that she will carry late. Her doctor said quote "If you're not done by then we'll help you along so you can go."

(This is my Dad's third wife...but she's the best one, so whee!)

I'll be playing the baby's birthday on roulette right after I get hitched!

Faux Edit: Here is hoping to one husband always.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

zap actionsdower! posted:

Whoo! Finally made some progress on the planning this week.

We have a date set--April 18.

Eee You are 4 days after me! Let me know when you get jitters, because I've been having them for the last month. Its not that I don't want to do it at all, its more like 'Holy poo poo, this time next year I am going to be a wife.'

The fact that the hotel is doing everything is what is keeping me sane, for sure.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Anyone have any non-ebay suggestions on where to sell an unwanted dress? I still have my old one (before I found the one I posted), its an unaltered size 12, and I just want to be rid of it. I don't expect to get the $250 I spent on it back, but for a full gown with matching shawl I'd like to get like $100. I'd do craigslist outside of my city, but I don't know if that is a good idea? I found one site that is for buying-selling used wedding gowns, but this one is technically 'new'.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

I'm making all of my invites by hand. It is so time consuming, since I have 200 of them to make. (40 down, 160 to go) I'll try and remember to post pictures if I ever get done.

This is what each envelope contains:

A single-sheet, front and back greeting card sized insert. There are four colours so they're all different but matching: creme, medium beige, white, dark beige.

Each has two contrasting flowers one on each the top and bottom left side (I made them using a really cool hole puncher from Martha Stewart's line). I attached them using a gold brad through the center of the flower, holding a stripe of ribbon in place down the left. I then spray-glued (so no spots or globs of glue) another matching sheet to the back so you don't see the back of the brad. On the front our names are mounted on a 4 x 6 contrasting sheet of paper with a raised Eiffel Tower in the lower right corner. I did the Eiffel Tower with an embossing stencil and lightbox after I printed our names onto it in a font that I liked, which I then went over with a shiny gold scrapbook pen. On the back it has another contrasting piece (that matches the front contrasted part with our names), except it has the standard invite verbiage (Mr and Mrs Mantis announce...)

Then on a sheet of paper with flowers pressed into it, I mounted a letter on ivory paper, and that explains that we are getting married in Vegas, and that while we understand not everyone can attend, we would like to extend the invitation to anyone who can or wants to join us. It has the information for the discount for the hotels and flights that we got, and contact info for both of us if they want to come along. Then it explains the location of the reception back in PA.

Also a small paper crane, because I am using them to decorate the reception location by hanging them with ribbon from the trees, along with white lights and these cute little clear glass balls.

It is a major pain in the rear end, but the grand total for materials was $70.00, and I get a really neat feeling each time I finish one. I'm tying everything around the middle with a small bow before putting it in the envelope, where I am going to use wax and a 'C' stamp for our soon-to-be last name.

Aha, mspaint examples (I put a cross where the Eiffel tower is, its the same color as the paper, just raised):
Front:

Back:

Lady googooGaGa fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 27, 2008

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

clyemne posted:

That sounds really pretty.

Inexpensive too! I just can't see the point in spending a ton on a wedding. I mean its 'the most special day', but it is about us and our family and the decor and stuff to me is just a bonus. I want it to be nice, but my Dad makes less than I do and I cant fathom asking him to go into debt for it. The only thing I am letting him buy is the food.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Okay people, what flowers do I want? I do not know. Carnations and roses bore me, but lillies won't dry well, and Birds of Paradise aren't really bouquet friendly. I can get pretty much whatever I want included in the price of my wedding (unless its crazy exotic), I just have to send them a picture of it. Anyone want to help me find a unique with good box-frame drying potential pretty please? I don't know meanings of flowers or anything good, but our colors are ivory for me, dark teal for the girls, and the boys are in black.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

amethystbliss posted:

I really like baby's breath for a bouquet. Simple and really elegant looking. I know nothing about drying potential, though.

Holy crap I never saw or even thought of that. I've dried sprigs of it before and they turned out cute. This is definitely going on the list.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

peanut posted:

Everyone loves HAWAII but we're only expecting a dozen people.

I obviously dont know your family/situation, but I'm doing a Pennsylvania ---> Vegas wedding and we were really surprised at the number of people who are coming. We expected our parents and 3 or 4 friends. My boss decided to come out, along with a co-worker I'm on friendly terms with, our 10 closest friends, some other so-so friends, my aunts from Boston. The list keeps growing. People seem to use it as an excuse to get a vacation. I havent even sent out invites yet (mom is coming to help me finish them this weekend). I expect the number to grow.

One of the things we did was pull a ton of airfare quotes, hotel prices with and without the discount our guests get. Once people realized they could do it for less than 1000 a person they were all gung ho. Southwest probably poo poo two days ago when the majority of us booked our tickets. Also almost all major airlines have a group discount for groups of 10 or more -- only 10 or so down, with the balance due 6 - 10 weeks before.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

moana posted:

Poll question:

I've already talked about it with my boyfriend - neither of us wants to contribute to the current diamond market, so I've told him I want to use the diamond from a necklace that my grandmother left me (thanks, this thread, for the idea!). I want to pick out the setting - it's something I have to wear, why should he have to worry about that? The surprise will be the proposal.

I kind of picked my ring out. I had the same thought, I have to wear it, and he wanted to get me this 3 carat tw monster and I was like 'While yeah I'd like to be 'iced' out, I don't rap and its too much'. So I pointed out a few settings and styles that I liked, but I really gravitated toward one -- the one he ended up getting me.
I liked wondering which it would be, when, how he would propose. It didn't make it any less of a surprise, it was the coolest moment of my life so far.

moana posted:

That's a loving ridiculous amount of money to spend on a ring. Especially if she has conservative tastes, spend it on a vacation to Hawaii and give her a smaller ring there.

Agreed. Even if you're totally loaded and want to go all out, its still way too much IMO. If you get something too big, its going to have to be cleaned all the time, which is a pain in the rear end (my ring is 'big' but not 'huge' and I have it cleaned like once a week, its the only bummer about it). Also if she loses it, you might have insurance, but you're going to pay a lot more for it. Remember she is going to wear it every single day, maybe for the rest of her life (although some eventually only wear wedding band). It shouldn't be cumbersome. Beautiful amazing ring doesn't mean the biggest most expensive one. I've seen jaw dropping rings at Tiffany's for 5k.

Last, moana is right. You can take her on an amazing vacation for that much money. If you do have it to spend, take her somewhere she's never been but always wanted to go for a week -- and propose one night. She can still have a great ring and a wonderful story to tell.

Lady googooGaGa fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 27, 2008

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Quote is not edit. Dammit, sorry.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

My wedding is on a Tuesday. People seem to find this very strange, but the date (14th) mattered more to me than what day it was.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Survey - Bridal showers: All females invited to the wedding OR close female friends/family.

There is a debate going on, and I am stuck in the middle.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

brc64 posted:

Are you the bride or one of the ones invited? I'm a guy, so I can't pretend to know what a typical bridal shower is like, but I would say the bride should invite whoever she wants. It's her party after all. Don't invite somebody you don't want there just because you're worried they might feel left out. That'd be my suggestion.

Yeah, I'm the bride. My maid of honor says its all females invited to the wedding, my other bridesmaid says its only close friends. I asked my mother-in-law and mom and they both had different views. I'm kind of in the, eh just invite everyone boat, but I don't want to have people saying I'm greedy and trying to snag gifts.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

We were together about 2 years.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

MarshallX posted:

Does anyone have experience with 2 maids of honor?

My fiance is having a Matron of Honor and a Maid of Honor because both of them mentioned they'd be irked if they weren't chosen and are equally best friends with my fiance....I just don't know how this works with pictures etc.

Good luck. I'm not saying that to be a prick, but if they both already mentioned being 'irked' they're going to battle over everything anyway. I almost had two, until one started dating a supreme rear end who made her get rid of all her friends. It was a blessing in disguise. They fought about everything, who would walk first, who was going to plan the shower, etc. Once girl B was out of the picture, the rest of the bridesmaids all get along just fine.

I don't know how it'll work with pictures, but I imagine it'll go Matron-maid-bridesmaids. If they fight about who is Matron vs. Maid pick based on who the bride has known longest, or who is older. Make that the rule and tell them if they don't like it neither of them has to be in it.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

I think dollar dances have potential to be tacky, but they're a big tradition here. I haven't witnessed it like you pay to dance with the bride though, its if you buy a shot of liquor for a dollar you get to dance with her. It usually turns into people mock fighting over the bride while everyone looks on and laughs. That or an enormous competition where each guy tries to out-dance the last and the bride isn't even really involved. At one wedding they took turns spinning the poor girl in circles -- I thought she'd be sick.

If you're having a huge society wedding I would skip it, but if you're with close friends and family, and everyone knows and doesn't mind its fine. It isn't like you're going to make $5000 off of it, and if people get mad because people paid a dollar each to act like idiots, well they're too uptight IMO.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Bridal showers are kind of rear end. My friends are mostly males, and even though I managed to not invite the 140 old ladies and various people my mom was trying to insist on, out of the 60 invited, about 40 of them are people I don't know from his family, or people I barely know. It was hard trying to decide which people from my old neighborhood to invite, because they all were a huge part of my life, but since I moved I hardly see them. My MOH said she thought I did a good job doing the list, but I still worry like 8 people will show up and I'll feel like a huge loser. I am still mad she wouldn't let me just invite all my guy friends.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

LittleCat posted:

On a related note, does anyone know how likely it is that people will actually use our gift registries?

Where I live people will call you inconsiderate if you DON'T register. It happened to my soon to be sister in law, and she ended up registering at the last minute, and got everything on it and then some. She was pretty hacked off too, because her aunt actually told her off for not including registry info in the invites.

I didn't want to, everyone knows we own our home and lots of stuff and would rather if people either just decided on their own (creative and unexpected stuff is great!) or gave us money toward the trip. Since you can't just say 'gimmie money', MOH was just going to put a note that she was collecting for a trip fund/wishing well, and the themes for our bathrooms/kitchen and leave it at that. Well my mom and MOH's mom and soon to be mother in law threw a complete tizz and said that if I didn't register and let people know where it was I was being a jerk. I asked if it was the way I was handling the money situation that they thought was wrong, and they said no -- do a wishing well AND a registry. (!?!?)

I'm really frustrated over it. My stepmom is doing a China set for us, and my Dad is getting me a good set of pots and pans. I'm not trying to be ungrateful, and getting gifts is nice, but I don't see why people should go out and spend money on things we really don't need. I tried explaining this to everyone who was bitching and they said "Oh just pick out some new curtains or whatever." I'm frustrated, because the vacation fund is actually something we could use, and I'd rather someone tell me "Hey yeah instead of that 8 slice toaster, just donate to our honeymoon." I wouldn't be offended at all, I'd be more upset if I found out I bought them something just because everyone was bitching at them to register for it.

The part that baffles me most is that nobody thought the vacation fund was a bad idea. All mom's and old people involved with helping plan said they had been to going-away showers like that before. So what was the problem? Argh!

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

moana posted:

Couldn't you just register for a bunch of stuff, then return it to the store? Or would that not be possible without receipts?

See I considered that, but from what I understand from other showers I've been to is that you unwrap all the gifts in front of everyone. I'd worry his mom would see what I got, I'd return it, and then she'd notice I did it when she was over visiting or whatever. Plus I'd feel really bad doing it. I've been thinking about it off and on and I figure it'll work itself out. If people get miffed that I didn't do a huge registry oh well, they'll eventually get over it. My friends all understand, so aside from various moms badgering me, I don't see the distant aunts/uncles/church ladies all that often.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

LittleCat posted:

...please make sure their return policies and completion programs are good.

The good thing is that we get 10% of whatever our registry is as a store gift certificate. A lot of people register at walmart, I dont think they do anything special.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

I went to the store today and just did a registry. My MOH was really helpful and went through with me. We just found some small appliances, replacement pans for the kitchen, some towels, stuff like that. So all in all it wasn't the 'bully people into buying things we don't need' like I thought. I think MOH helped a lot. Plus she made the point that him and I can go back ourselves and get whatever we didn't get from the list, and this will keep us from buying Random poo poo whenever we are out.

I accidentally found out when the shower is, because someone was a big mouth. I'm even looking forward to it, although there are rumors of a game involving underwear.

Two months to go and all this hullabaloo is finished! Then 3 more before baby time. Busy year in the Mantis household.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

People think you have to be tacky to get married in Vegas, but some of the hotels are amazingly reasonably priced for what they offer, it takes soooooo much stress away from it, and there is something for everyone there.

For our wedding I'm walking down the aisle to 'Blackbird' by the Beatles played by a live guitarist, we have traditional attire for the chapel (except he is wearing a suit and not a tux). Its broadcast live online, we get a DVD, ton of pictures, two nights in a big suite, wine and cheese each day, champagne breakfast (except I can't drink it, pregnant!), a basket of gifts (garter, etc) to take home, all of the flowers, etc. etc. A bunch of family and friends are coming along.

I looked at nearly every venue I could find online. If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

I can't give a specific song, but I picked blackbird based on how I think I'll feel in that moment. I've had some pretty low moments in the past but my fiance is everything I ever wanted, soooo. Try looking at the processional song as what that moment will mean to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

SplitDestiny posted:

Are there any favorite destination weddings in this thread? I don't want to do something semi tacky like vegas and instead would love to do something somewhere with a lot of culture or uniqueness to it. Price is definitely a factor and I would also like to combine the ceremony/honeymoon locations if possible.

Ok so normally I don't take offense to much of anything, but this is a really, really common misconception: You don't have to be a tacky gently caress if you get married in Vegas. The major hotels all have chapels within them that are very tastefully done, and they have ministers, rabbis, and pretty much any other denomination you could want to do your vows. You can go out into the desert, fly to the grand canyon from Vegas, a myriad of imported but really nice gardens, etc. On the other end of the spectrum, you can get married by Elvis in a drive through. You can make things there as unique as you're willing to pay for them to be. Depending on the resort it starts at $650 and goes up to $ obscene.

I can understand wanting a place more 'cultured'. Vegas is a very fast city with its main focus being partying/gambling, but for those of us who choose to get married there, its not because we're tacky shitheels who have no idea what class is, its more about going somewhere we can get the license quickly so its legal on the spot, somewhere we and our guests can go out to eat, see some shows, and have a good time, and somewhere inexpensive enough that we can afford to go back and visit again. We actually already had our flights drop enough that with the price adjustment, all we'll have to pay to go for our 1st anniversary is around $150, plus hotel.

As far as wanting somewhere more cultured, you can 'get married' almost anywhere, and then just do a JOP in your state. Sandals resorts do beach weddings. My boss did that and he and his guests had a blast. My friend is going to Florida to get married, I'm not sure where (I'm not sure she knows either).