Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This time around I had a much smaller wedding so a lot of the extra stuff wasn't necessary. However, my first had 150+ guests, so I can agree with the idea of hiring a wedding planner if you can afford it with that many people. It's nice to have someone dealing with the minutia that will always pop up regardless of how well you've planned the day.

EDIT: And there are very few legitimate reasons as to why you should be meeting someone for the first time as a guest at your wedding.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nephzinho posted:

For better or for worse, if its not in the contract it does not exist.

Certain aspects of contract law vary by state, and the service industry makes it further complicated.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We did both of ours through Etsy, if I'm not mistaken. Though my spouse doesn't care about precious metals and I'm allergic to them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Our wedding photographers have disappeared off the face of the earth. It has been almost six months. They have not responded to any of our attempts to contact them, although they are clearly still alive because they always screen my calls after one or two rings. Going by recent reviews left on their page we are not the only ones having this problem with them.

As far as I see it my only options at this point are
1. Try to track them down in person
2. Hire a lawyer

Any advice?

Do you have any sort of contract, no matter how tenuous, with them? If not, I'm sorry to say, you're SOL right now. I would start looking for alternatives as quickly as possible.

My first marriage included a photographer that disappeared within three months of the ceremony, and I still haven't heard from the dude, and that was in 2008. Do yourself a favor and don't expect people to take extra care just because it's your wedding. They look at it as no different than if they were working the counter at a pizzeria.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They didn't even light the loving brownie station properly?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If you put people in full suits outside on an 80+ day, they will remember being miserable more than they'll remember the wedding itself.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nephzinho posted:

My "160" wedding somehow got up to 209 invitees. Not entirely sure how that happened.

As someone that's been married twice by now, I can tell you exactly where this came from:

Parents' coworkers

I cannot tell you how many people I met for the first time during my first wedding, and I was then told "This is So-and-So, from your mother-in-law's place of work" and I'm left thinking, "I paid $65 a plate for someone I've never met in my life and will probably never see again?"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Scudworth posted:

How does this happen / how do you end up with no control of the guest list

When your parents/in-laws invite people from their jobs and then tell you "What am I supposed to do, uninvite them? I work with them every day!"

Also, this happened with my first wedding. My second wedding was sixty people and never deviated from that number.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe just gently remind brides of the divorce rate in order to lower their expectations...?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Final song of the night was “Last Call” by Ol’ Dirty Bastard

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So what was the big deal? The frog was wearing a hat?

EDIT: Wrong thread

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Besides, if you open all the gifts before the wedding, you know who you don't have to bother saying hi to at the reception.