Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

quepasa18 posted:

Agreed. I wouldn't expect anyone over the age of 25 to show up at your wedding. I know if I received an invitation like this, I probably wouldn't go. It just sounds like a big old frat party to me.

Also, the phrase "bring the shorties with" irritates me to no end.

Since when are receptions not giant frat parties? I don't mean to derail here but you can't complain that ALL receptions must have free booze then at the same time claim its supposed to be a classy black tie affair. It's supposed to be a party to celebrate the joining of two people. If I can make it in to a huge party so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: Nevermind.

Have a great wedding.

In other news, the whole reason I'm in the thread is to ask about engagement ideas. I picked up the ring last week, and I'm just waiting for the right time but I have no ideas on the proposal. A restaurant is out of the question, thought about doing it at a local vineyard but they all close way too early for me. (I'm in NoVa)

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 14, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Emilar posted:

A nice proposal is just one of those things where it has to make sense for you and your girlfriend. Do you guys go out to the same restaurant or a certain place often? Do it there. Have an inside joke about something/a place? Do it there. There is no universally accepted form of romance. Do what feels right for you two. I understand you're just looking for nice ideas to make the proposal as best as possible, but just do something that is romantic for YOU TWO, not what a bunch of strangers on the internet think would be cute.

Maybe I should've elaborated. I'm not looking to be told what to do, just ideas so then I can take those ideas and make something that I know she'll love. I'm not from around here and usually a night out is Pho and maybe a movie so I'm trying to make it special by incorporating other peoples ideas in to what I know I want to do.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Is the open bar thing as much of a racket as I think it is? I mean, it looks like you're paying $40 a head for booze. At 100 guests that's $4000. I seriously doubt it's even possible to go through $4k worth in booze at a bar. Is there a way to just open a tab and pay that tab at the end of the night instead of paying upfront?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Had anyone had to have ceremonies/receptions in multiple places? My fiancee and I (I proposed last week, at the restaurant where we met, perfect for us) are not from around here, my friends/family are all in Toronto, her friends and family are mostly scattered in DC, SanFran and the Philippines.

We don't really want a huge wedding with the hotel reception etc but at the same time we want to have a ceremony and a reception with all our friends.

So far we're thinking of having three ceremonies, 1 civil here in town, 1 catholic ceremony in Toronto and 1 catholic ceremony in the Philippines. Has anyone had to deal with a situation like this? I'm not too keen on forcing my friends to fly here for the ceremony (family not really a big deal, dad's a pilot) and neither is my fiancee nor are we really interested in a destination wedding as it mostly just becomes family and I don't really want to force our families on going on vacation with us.

Any thoughts? Has anyone had to deal with this, if so how did you handle it?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

quepasa18 posted:

My best friend did something like this. They had a ceremony and reception ins City 1, and then another reception in City 2 a month or so later. They didn't have another ceremony in City 2 though.

The reason for the multiple ceremonies is because I'm a Canadian marrying an American, I want to make sure I get married in the US and Canada to make getting the various citizenships easier. And my fiancee has always dreamed of getting married in the Philippines in this specific church.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Any pointers for a November wedding in the NoVa region? We're thinking this year for a small intimate ceremony (>20 people). I've been looking into vineyards because November in Virginia is beautiful. So just was wondering if anyone have pointers for a wedding then?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

We're trying to setup a wedding at a courthouse/city hall and we're having a hell of a time finding on in Northern Virginia. Anyone from that area in this forum that can help?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Narwhale posted:

Isn't that one of those things like "If you have to ask..."

I read that one as well. I didn't get what the big deal was. She's young and he's trying to be successful before they settle down. On the same token I just don't get why not get married, if you're ready to be engaged nothings stopping you from going to the courthouse and getting the license signed. The only thing preventing it is that people want to have a party.

Most of the NEY posts just make them sound like they don't really care for the marriage itself and instead are more concerned with having a wedding for themselves.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

IdeoPhanthus posted:

Well, our day came & went. Things went well, everything looked nice, and the total cost (not including my $1k dress because my mom paid for that) was around $2500 or so. Highlights of the day...

How did you keep it so cheap? Does that include the bands and food etc? My fiancee and I are planning stuff and we're trying to keep it cheap.

Edit: About the whole ring thing. I had an Ex who told me it *had* to be two months pay (pre-tax). Yes she was that specific and knew exactly what I made, I'm open about that stuff. But at the time I was saving to move out of my parents, just bought a car and was young so I wanted to have some toys. I use to joke with her that if I'm spending more than $5k on a ring she better be spending more than 5k on a TV or Laptop for me. But the joke was really half meant. I felt like the decision on whether or not I'm even going to propose was taken away from me.

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 18, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

So we finally picked a place for the reception (2941 in Virginia) and the best part is the room has a built in sound system (hooray not paying for a DJ). So the next question is: anyone have a good list or link to a site with lists for a do-it-yourself iPod playlist for a wedding?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

WolfensteinBag posted:

I just wanted to post this quick before bed. I made this for the Off Beat Bride forums, the entire post relating to it is here with descriptions of all the pictures. Basically, it's the inspiration for our techno-nature wedding. :)

The cake in the bottom right is exactly our cake (we have a cherry blossom theme because we getting married end of march in DC).

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Adri posted:

I have my reception venue! Looking at about $900 before taxes and gratuity for food, room, linen, tableware, tables, chairs, and the dance floor. Estimating $1500 overall with decorations and a dj, and whatever else I may need. It's for 50 so perfect cost and I broke my mom down into paying for the reception, thank the lord jesus krriiissstttt.

Where the hell are you hosting your wedding that its only $30 a head for everything (except booze).

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Rockwell posted:

Just poking in on here to ask something. My fiancee and I are having an interracial wedding in Canada and her parents expects us to invite well over 100 people to the wedding from the Philippines.

Keep in mind that a flight one way is roughly $1500.

The parents have implied they would not put any money into it as per their culture (I'm slightly inclined to call BS on this but then I remember pick your battles carefully). I know my parents will help out on the cost (they can't afford a lot), so the majority will fall upon my shoulders as well as my fiancee.

Hey Canadian marrying a Filipina buddy!

In terms of tradition yes the Grooms family is supposed to pay for everything, however in terms of north american tradition the brides' family is supposed to pay for everything. AKA Culture clash.

The way my fiancee and I did it: We're paying for our close friends and family. That's it. Then we told our respective family members "The cost, Per Person, is $100 for the dinner. Here's our current guest list. If you would like to invite anyone extra above and beyond this list then as a gift to us we expect you to pay for them". This counts for both out parents because my mom is french canadian so HUGE family there.

The way we explain it is we showed both parents the full expense breakdown and how much adding 10 extra people would cost us (including gratuities etc). And then explain to them that that extra money will be taking away funds from our house down payment and the longer we wait to get a house the longer we wait to have children because we can't afford them if we go bankrupt throwing a party.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Rockwell posted:

Hey! Yeah, we're doing the same thing as well if the invitation idea isn't such a hot idea and the consensus seems to be that it's a major dick move that will just too much grief for my fiancee. I personally don't care if I look like a major dick, I thrive on this like it's my energy source. :sweatdrop:

The reason why I'm inclined to call BS on this is because they're willing to do it by their culture with their two daughters but will forego it with their two sons, giving the parents the best of both worlds and protection against their wallet.
This is a battle you won't win and I see it ending badly.

Rockwell posted:

However,

I'll do that to get our point across and I know they'll care about those last two points enough to change their tunes on the # of guests and/or help contribute.

Since you're marrying a filipina and dealing with a culture clash, how do you work with your side of the family? How do you work with your side of the family? What's the best way to help explain some points of the traditions to either side? I want to minimize the amount of grief from both sides, if any.

Well its sorta US against THEM. We're throwing the wedding without anyone's help. That way there really isn't a clash of the culture thing going on, we had to cut it down to 40 people to make it affordable to us, but like I said we're inviting close friends and family only. If our parents want to invite anyone outside of our guest list then they should pay for it.

I mean, if I had a close friend who told me I need to invite 10 extra people or his family will be offended I would laugh in his face. On the same token at $100 a person you're looking at ~$1250 (with gratuities) just so they can eat some food for one night. If her (or your) parents really want them there that badly then they shouldn't have a problem paying for it. If they do then point them out to my previous post about how being poor so their friends can have a party in this economy doesn't really make sense .

Also, if her parent do raise a stink just ask them how'd they feel if you told them you were inviting 10 strangers to their birthday party. In Philippino culture the birthday boy/girl are the ones who are supposed to pay for everyone else's good times.

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 11, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Rockwell posted:

Agreed. That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut on this instance because I know I just won't win.

When I was talking about culture clashes, I'm talking about the traditions about certain filipino weddings, such as the Pin The Money (iirc) where the males on the groom's side dances with the bride and bride's females with the groom where they pin the money onto the bride/groom. I know that my side won't be familiar with this, how would you propose help educate this because the last thing I want to do is have my side feel left out in the whole thing or feel put off by it. I know there's a few more traditions but I can't remember them all at the moment.

Again, I appreciate your input into this because it's difficult to find someone who's Canadian and marrying with a filipino while dealing with the culture and such.

Well, we're not having a super traditional wedding but before we planned on marrying here we were going to do it in the filippines. You're best best best is to gather as much information as possible about the traditions, their history etc and the write it all up for your parents/guests so they know whats going on/can participate. Honestly though its supposed to be a party your guests shouldn't feel left out because the brides family is doing something traditional, they can either watch in enjoyment or participate.

Also, you may want to think about karaoke at some point (rehearsal dinner perhaps). This will be a hit with her and your family.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

So our website is done (long time ago) and we'd like some input:

http://philyoung.net/wedding

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, the fonts in one section are jacked up, wordpress took the formatting from word literally. Also, the pictures, thats weird.

But thanks for the input.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

l_th posted:

**UPDATE**

Used the ring in my previous post and these to propose last Sunday

She said yes :D

Now we've been debating dates

We're actually using these as our favours in a small (really small) glass jar. They say our names on one and our wedding date on the other. I just filled 40 of those little bastards yesterday.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

So this weekend is my wedding weekend. My fiancee and I are so excited it all finally came together and we've got nothing left to do this week (other than get married). And we saved a tonne of money by:

- Using our ipod (or a backup laptop) to play the music instead of a DJ. My brother is the 'AV' guy to make sure the music plays properly
- Having my friend who is a photography nut take the wedding pictures
- Making/Printing our own invitations/website
- Getting the banquet room at the hotel comped (because we're having it in march)
- Keeping the number of guests at 40
- Having the ceremony in our parish
- Finding an AWESOME florist who gave us the best deal on "cherry blossom" flowers and table arrangements.

All in all (as the man) I was happy with the final cost of everything and it all working out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Emilar posted:

Hope your wedding goes well! Just curious, what exactly are the "cherry blossom" flowers your florist is providing? Cherry blossom tree branches or...? They are my favorite type of flower (even have a tattoo with cherry blossoms), so I'd love to know.

Probably pear or apple blossom (or so we've been told) since it's illegal in DC/NoVa to cut cherry blossoms. We have branches for our centerpeice on the card/gift table (large) and just the blossoms floating in our center pieces (I think)