Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
Is it normal to just invite family and not friends? Looking at my list I've got about 22 people just on my side of the family alone. And is it normal to get your guests to pay for their lodgings? I feel bad but if I have to pay for them to come up here it's gonna leave me broke.

And another question: does the actual wedding ceremony include whoever the hell wants to come, and then only your picks come to the reception/dinner afterwards? Because I don't mind if people show up to watch us get married, but I can't feed/supply booze to a poo poo ton of people I see maybe once a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
Thanks guys; another question though:

Does this sound like a decent idea? We have the actual wedding at a cheap hall, then head out to some lodge outside of town for a big 'ol barbeque. Basically everyone who's invited to the wedding comes to the dinner, and it'll be an outside thing at a lake or something. Steaks, chicken, burgers, corn, salads, etc for supper, and then some non-fancy cake/ice cream for dessert. Does it sound trashy or completely acceptable? All the weddings I've been to has been in a hall and either A. catered to kingdom come, or B. fed by family members bringing in their own food.

I figure if we go the BBQ way, we save tons of money buying the food ourselves, enjoy cooking it with family members, and you don't have to dress formal either. Plus it's outside so nobody will be bored.

Oh, another question: when do the pictures of myself and the bride get taken? Do we do all the pics AFTER the wedding at a specified location, while all the guests either sit around and wait or show up at the shoot? I guess they'll have to show up there with us to be included in group shots right?

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
Quick question regarding the gift opening: is it customary to open cards at gift openings, in front of everyone? See, we didn't ask for any gifts because we seriously do not need anything, so it's likely that most of our guests will be giving cards with money or gift cards inside. My fiancee and I aren't sure if it's polite to open said cards in front of the crowd. My fiancee's sister opened her cards after the gift opening, and sent out thank-you cards to each appropriate person/couple afterwards. I thought that was alright myself, but since we aren't going to be getting many gifts, should we just open up the cards at the gift opening anyway?

I'm probably just over-thinking this, but I thought I'd ask.

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli

WestofEden posted:

I'm not engaged, but I'll give my opinion as a photographer who has shot a very wide range of weddings (from hillbilly types, to OC 'Platinum' shindigs). I haven't seen anyone do any sort of gift opening at the wedding itself, are you talking about during a shower or something? I definitely think you can get away with not opening anything AT the wedding, but at a shower or similar event, that's just part of the whole process, so I wouldn't exclude cards.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clearer about that. The morning after the wedding, we're having a gift opening (more of a get together, really) before all the guests take off back home. I think what we'll do is open the cards but just read them aloud and make no mention of the value inside.