Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
I'm planning a pretty short term wedding--we're looking at April 25th. I don't have a dress, venue, minister/judge, etc. I do have a photographer, though. It's only a small wedding for about 25 people, and it's very informal. I wouldn't be having a hard time, but we're getting married in California and live in Oregon.

Are there any good, cheap (500 or 600 dollars) wedding chapels or venues in San Fernando Valley or Santa Clarita Valley? I see a few on the internet, but they don't have pictures or anything. We're just going out to dinner for the reception, so I just need the use of a chapel or venue for a few hours. How long is the typical short wedding, anyway?

I'm not usually into planning stuff like this, and I have an infant daughter so my time is really limited. Are there any tips for short-term planners like me?

How should I go about trying to rent a suit for my husband? We will only be in California maybe 4 or 5 days before the wedding, and he'll need measured and his suit tailored. Do I call the suit place and have them send us the measurement cards, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks, I looked at all of those, and they're all fantastic, but I think I'm gonna go with a little outdoor courtyard in Ventura for $125. LOL, I don't think we can afford the Odyssey on our budget. We're gonna do our pre-wedding-get-the-parents-acquainted-with-each-other dinner at Versailles in the valley on Ventura Blvd., then probably do a small reception for 20 people at Bonsai Garden in SCV. This would be so much easier if I knew for sure whether or not I was paying for it, hahaha. My dad hasn't said a word about it, so WHO KNOWS.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Is there any tactful way to tell people that, instead of presents, we would rather have a donation to our fund for a down payment on a house? For our poor friends in their 20's, we created a registry at Target, but is it considered... rude, I guess, to ask for a donation from our better-off friends and family who will just end up buying us a really expensive crock pot and some towels that we don't need? I know people have qualms about giving money as a gift. Is that, like, taboo? I mean, we'll know how much money they spent anyway if they buy something off of our registry. What would be the best way to word it? It seems weird to be like "Our wedding is [date], and we're registered at Target, so BUY US SOMETHIN' OR GIVE US MONEY."

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Ozma posted:

Boy, I think it honestly would be a little tough to phrase that well. I think that, unless you ask that someone donate to charity, beyond a registry it gets murky if you tell people what they're supposed to give you. Maybe someone can think of a good way to do that without making it seem greedy (which isn't really the way you're trying to come across- asking for money for a down payment seems no more/less "greedy" than a wedding registry!).

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. I had the same problem with my baby shower, because the girls who were invited were just coworkers who I wasn't that close with. I only told the few people who asked where I was registered since I didn't want to sound greedy, and as a result I got a LOT of things I couldn't use, and had to make a ton of return trips. We have a house full of stuff already and are planning to move from Oregon to California next year, once we buy a house. I don't really want to make the trip with any more crap than we already have.

And I also think that people think there is a difference between, "Here is a nice set of martini glasses," and, "Here is 25 bucks," even though it's the same amount of cash. I don't think there is one, but I understand that the gift might seem less... significant, I guess.

chachu fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 13, 2008

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

stef_infection posted:

$100,000...You've got to be making GBS threads me. I am almost sick over the amount of money spent on this. I am planning a wedding for this October, and I live from pay check to pay check right now. I'm glad I have my parents to help out, but I would, without a doubt, elope before letting them spend such a massive amount of money. I would be ashamed of spending so much...I'll be proud if I can say I kept it under a $1,000 (about 35 guests, dress, food, everything). I'm not criticizing you, my mind just boggles at what people find so important that they have to spend so much money.

Right now, I have 30 guests, dress, tux, venue, minister, cake, and possibly small reception for 11 guests at a restaurant covered for about $1000. It's possible to do, but very difficult. I got a $150 dress and free minister and cheap cake; you might be a little hard pressed to find cheaper than that with food for everyone. We don't have rings, alcohol, a "real" reception, organist/music, a venue for the reception, bridesmaid dresses, anything like that.

And about the $100,000... my mind is blown. I would just buy a house and get married in Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

do what now posted:

My parents weren't always wealthy. My parents have spent at least 100K putting my young twin brothers through exclusive private schools and paying for fancy vacations and such, but had no money for the kinds of things my brothers get when my sister and I were growing up. I think that crazy weddings and down payments on houses are my parents way of making sure that my sister and I get the same monetary advantages my brothers now have.

Your parents didn't buy ME anything growing up. I demand a down payment on a house. :mad: