Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
When I was engaged I heard the average cost of a wedding was around $26,000 and I think that's probably around what we ended up spending. (And by "we" I mean our parents.)

Dress was a biggie, didn't want to skimp on that so all in all with alterations it cost about $2,000. For the dress I picked out that was fairly inexpensive. I chose to get the show room piece instead of having them measure me and send out for a custom fit dress. (The seamstress had to size it down from an 8 to a 4...good thing she loving rocked and it turned out great) So that cut the cost of the dress in half right there.

We got married outside so we really didn't need to put any money into wedding site decorations and I decided to make my own center pieces for the reception. The place we got married included the wedding site, the reception (either inside or outside), and a catered dinner. That was nice to just have all that done in one place instead of having 3 different parties to deal with. Off the top of my head I think renting the wedding site and reception for the whole afternoon was about $5,000. Then catering from them was about...I dunno I want to say $30/person.

The cake was pretty average as far as cost. I think it was about $400-500. (It melted though, stupid people put it next to a hot window)

The flowers were actually one of the least expensive parts. I decided to go with inexpensive flowers that were in season so they were about $450 or so (including delivery to the wedding site).

The photographers were fairly inexpensive as well considering they were wedding photographers. They said they got into the business after their daughter got married and they saw how rediculous photographer prices were. So they do weddings, generally, for a lot less money. Probably spent a little more than $1,000 on them and they were there for about 6 hours or so. (Granted they weren't the best photographers ever but they took hundreds of pictures and we got 3 dvds, each with all the pictures on them. So we were satisfied.)

I think we spent about $800 on the DJ...

I think my husband spent about $1,500 on my wedding and engagement rings, about 1.5 karat total weight white gold. His wedding ring is a simple gold band that was about $300.

Oh the invitations! Those are freaking expensive. I had a really specific sort of invitation in mind that I really didn't want to skimp on so we ended up getting the least expensive invitations from the most expensive book we looked through. I can't remember how much they were but I think we ordered about 150 or so.

I had a great time planning my wedding. I knew when we could splurge a bit and I knew when we could cut back and still be happy. I think the best wedding advice is not to be a bridezilla. (Har har har) I can't stand those women who started to plan their wedding when they were 8 and everything has to be so perfect or they freak the gently caress out and make everyone miserable. I had no idea what I wanted my wedding to be like when I started planning it. It all sort of just fell in to place as we went along and I had a fun time doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU