Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007
I got married for super cheap because we are looking to buy a house soon. The whole thing was AU$2000. Cutting down the guest list is pretty much the biggest money saver. We had 45 people. Aunts and uncles but no cousins were invited, and then a few of our friends. We did away with a lot of unnecsasary things, like favours and bridal limos. To break it down:

Ceremony

Venue: Free, it was held at the church we attend.
Pastor, sound tech: $50
Wedding dress: Free, borrowed from a friend.
Shoes: $30 white ballet flats.
Bridemaids dresses: £15 each, simple red cotton dresses from H&M
Grooms clothes: White shirt, black vest for $80. Already had black pants and shoes.
Groomsmens clothes: Grey shirt, black vest: $80 for each groomsman. They wore their own black pants and shoes.
Hair, makeup: Free. We did our own makeup, and the girls and I wore our hair loose.
Flowers: $36 for two bouquets for the bridesmaids. I didn't have one as I walked down the aisle with both my parents and didn't have anywhere to hold it.
Photos: Free, Family friend is a photographer.
Rings: My engagement ring was a three stone with black sapphires, and small diamonds on the band. $155. Our wedding rings were matching plain gold bands, $100 each. For those who are looking at rings, I highly recommend buying a bridal set rather than separate rings. If the engagement ring is unusual, you will have a hard time finding a matching wedder unless you get it specially made. I wear my e-ring and wedder on separate hands. Also: do not underestimate the comfort of plain, stone free bands.

Reception:
Venue: Free, it was held at my parents house.
Marquee, table and chair hire: $300
Food: $900 from a catering company. We had it buffet style.
Cake: I made my own three tier rich fruit cake. Cake ingredients ran me $50, icing $20.

Things I would have done differently:
Probably eloped. Less stress, less cost.
Different photographer. We left it far too late to hire a proper wedding photographer, and the one we got was too slow and missed important shots.
Bought the engagement and wedding bands together, to make sure they fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

CrackSpider posted:

EDIT: To everybody: How long were you with your significant other before you/he proposed? Not many of you shared that information, and I'm genuinely curious. :)

We were together 18 months before he proposed, and living together for most of that.

I'm hoping some asian, more specifically Singaporean goons can help me out. A girl at work goes on about asian wedding factories, and how it is very common to have a quiet private wedding, and then a few years later when the couple has a bit more money they go to a wedding factory and have a photo album made. She says the dress, tux, hair and makeup are all provided. My original wedding photos sucked, I looked like a freakin Tolkien elf and I am going to Singapore in March. Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences they can share? Are the dresses horrible 80s tulle monstrosities? Ballpark price? How long do you have to book in advance? Thanks.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

ixo posted:

I'm ring shopping at the moment, and am leaning towards Moissanite. I'm going for a triple setting of round stones, with a half pave. What I'm concerned with is going overboard. Not in terms of price, but in terms of "holy poo poo" factor for both her, and those who see it.

Just keep in mind that because she likes sparkley things she probably won't want a plain wedding band, but one with diamonds which will cost a lot more than the plain wedder. Try to pick one that goes well with a diamond band.

Exelsior fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 17, 2009

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007
My hubby and I were both 21 when we got married, and had been dating for two and a half years, living together for two and a half years. We have been married 18 months now.

Taken at face value it seems "so young!" but it fit in well with our lives and our plan for the future. We bought a house six weeks after we were married, and planned on having kids soon after but life (aka dying parent) got in the way and that has been postponed for a few years.

A common argument against marrying young:

You haven't: Lived on your own
Moved out of home
Finished your degree/apprenticeship
Traveled
Become financially independent
Found yourself
Dated other people
Been single for a long period of your adult life
etc.

Opinions? I think its dumb but goddammit I heard it from a lot of older single people. For reference I had done the first five.

E: On the topic of cubic zirconia rings I had a look at some but none of the local shops stocked reasonably sized solitaires, as in less than half a carat. Its pretty frikkin obvious its a fake if you have a 2ct tacky bling bling ring, but nicely done, understated, small engagement rings were nowhere to be found.

Exelsior fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 8, 2009

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

^^^ You might like moissanite, then. It's not "obviously a fake," since it's more refractory than diamond and nearly as hard as diamond, but it's way, way cheaper because there's no crazy monopoly by one family on the creation of it. I've mentioned it before in the thread, but one of the things I love the most about my moissanite ring (besides the 1.5 carat solitaire) is that I can go into detail with anyone on how cool moissanite is, how it comes from space, how there's no conflict involved, and so on-- or, if I'm complimented on my ring in passing, I can avoid going into detail. Basically, what I'm saying is that unless I bring it up, nobody's going to notice that my ring is moissanite. And believe me, I bring it up more often than not, because I think it's totally awesome. :D

Oh man I don't think I was clear in my original post. I didn't mind getting 'not a diamond', in fact I really wanted 'not a diamond' for the main stone. I investigated zirconias in my local chain stores but they were all huge and ostentatious, there were no options for a simple ring with small stones.

I knew about moissanite but there were no local shops that carried and I didn't want to buy something sight unseen. (Went for a sapphire in the end). I like moissanite because it has a higher refractive index than diamond, and what made diamond so special (apart from its hardness) was its high refractive index. In my mind, moissanite is more diamond than diamond, except it is made in a lab by awesome scientists and not dug out of the ground by one armed children.

Zealous Abattoir posted:

You know, I bet there is some socio-economical elements to the whole "judging people who get marry young thing" Where I live it is seen as pretty drat trashy, since it is what the lower class does whereas the upper middle class/upper class almost always wait to late 20's or early 30's. But I dont live in the states per se, so I don't know if that's true there too.

Oh yes, this is very true in my area. If you are already on welfare and single with no kids the dole is higher if you are married. (In Oz.)

There is also the factor that if two driven, highly educated (or on their way to becoming so) people get married young sooner or later one of them will have to sacrifice their career and education for the other one. It is unlikely that all educational and employment opportunities for both people will be at the same time in the same city (or even country).

My husband is on the rollercoaster of postgrad and heading toward academia. I have worked my self into two different careers, at least one of which should be available to me in most countries so it won't be a huge hit if we have to up and go to Germany.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Skychrono posted:

non-diamond gemstones may be a faux pas or something.

Sapphires used to be the traditional engagement stone before diamonds! Sapphires are very hard wearing, and will last the rest of her life and then some. Personally, I LOVE the diamond sapphire combination, my own engagement ring was three large, dark sapphires with diamond dust on the band. Good luck!

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Ms. Happiness posted:

I'm not sure if this is covered in this thread but...how many people went through premarital counseling? I really would like to go through some counseling to make sure the future husband and I covered all our bases before marriage. I know my church does do some counseling beforehand but I wanted to hear about other people's experiences with it.

Also, does anybody have any recommendation for couples devotional sites (if it was Episcopalian specific it would be awesome)?

Premarital counseling was required in order to get married in my church. It wasn't particularly good, and if anything in there came up that was new and you hadn't talked about yet, well, you are pretty unprepared.

I don't use devotionals, but I have some books to recommend:

Love life for every married couple by Ed Wheat.

For (wo)men only-so much better than "Power of a praying wife".

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

dopaMEAN posted:

So where would one even find secular premarital counseling? My boyfriend and I are both atheists but I could definitely see the merit of completing counseling like that prior to making a major life decision, even if things were absolutely perfect.

Many churches will run premarital counseling for secular couples. It is in the best interests of the church for everyone to have successful, long lasting marriages after all. You may be required to make a donation to the church.

There are secular books available too, although I do think the Christian based ones are more realistic and long term. Christian marriage books aren't all about pray God Bible pray pray pray Bible God. You can easily skip over the intro and few mentions of God. The books For (wo)men only are almost secular, just a few mentions of prayer.

Here are several hundred relevant books.

e: I'm not trying to push faith on anyone. Secular premarriage books are a rather new phenomenon, while Christian marriage books have been around for decades. There are so many more Christian books and programs than there are secular ones, and so many people take Christian courses which means they are refined and improved at a faster pace. If you don't mind just skipping over the God stuff, Christian books can be a very good resource.

Exelsior fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 25, 2010

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

SomaticHM posted:

Another bride-to-be here having problems with her mother!

See, once parents start dropping (or considering dropping) loads of money on something suddenly they want a say in how everything is run, which may or may not be fair. If she is getting this caught up this early (ie you haven't even booked a place yet) over your frikkin hair, think about how controlling and demanding she will be closer to the wedding about actual important things!

Also, what maso said.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Ms. Happiness posted:

I would like to wear gloves with my wedding dress. How do I go about exchanging rings with gloves? I assume you take the glove off during ring exchange but are you supposed to wear the glove over your ring? I've also heard you can make a small slit in the glove on the ring finger to just kinda peel the glove back to put the ring on.

Anybody run into this during your wedding?

You can take the gloves off just before the ring exchange and hand them to your bridesmaid.

You can put the ring on over the gloves. (Might not fit.)

You can buy special bridal gloves that have a slit for the ring finger so you can just pop that finger out for the ring exchange.

You can buy special bridal gloves that have a bare ring finger.

You could wear gauntlets.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

deviledseraphim posted:

I have a question about pairing a wedding band to an engagement ring. If one is made of white gold and the other of titanium, will it look horribly mismatching? Should the metals be the same?

I would get both rings made out of the same metal. The colour difference will be noticeable up close, and that might irritate the gently caress out of you. Also, the harder metal may wear out the softer metal. The two rings will age differently, so in 10 years the white gold will look old and patina-ed while the titanium might look brand new with no scratches. White gold can be resized easily wheres titanium is more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Shout out to JohnnyRnR who answered a lot of my questions about jewelry and was just as nice and professional as could be about it. Really helped me narrow down the rather large and ever expanding field quite nicely.

Any winter weddings happening? How are people managing with the stress of the holidays? Or is it easier because you have the family together anyway?

I had a (summer) Christmas wedding! What do you want to know?