Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stef_infection
Aug 7, 2007

pantyhose are itchy
itchy itchy itchy

do what now posted:

My parents are insane, and spent $100,000 on my recent wedding and honeymoon. Yes, I know how crazy that is. That was not something I wanted, but my mother had a tiny tiny cheap wedding (where her dad fell off the wagon), so she was reliving things through me. My husband and I thought about eloping to avoid the expense and stress, but both of our parents begged us not to. In the end, it's my parents money, so if they wanted to go crazy, I couldn't really stop them, although I tried for a while. I also have a very very huge family. The wedding actually turned out great, but I used to do semi-pro wedding photography and can say that inexpensive weddings turn out great too.

The most expensive thing was catering. Oy was that pricey. My dad used to be a chef, so everything had to be top of the line, and we had 230+ guests. We did save money by having the wedding cake done by the caterer. Flowers came second, but it was worth it(since it wasn't my $$$). We saved money with the flowers by skipping roses and out of season flowers. We also saved money by having the ceremony and the reception at the same location. My dress was handmade by a family friend, and while it was supposed to cost $5,000, she only charged us for materials. Photo and video were $5,000, but totally worth it. Being a photographer, I knew I wanted the best. It was totally worthit. The band was another $5,000, but my husband and I fought that hard - we wanted a DJ to save money. My parents wouldn't hear of it. We did skip having an engagement party to save money, and I don't regret that decision. We bought my bridesmaids dresses for them, because although they were averagely priced, my bridesmaids were either related to me or were broke grad students. I personally spent some of my own money to have a groom's cake made by Duff Goldman, who has a tv show on Food Network. I was surprised to find how reasonable his prices were. The cake was Super Mario themed - I haven't played a video game in at least a decade, but my husband is in the video game industry. It turned out great. Even the old people at the wedding recognized Mario!

I feel really strongly about engagement and wedding rings. You do not have to spend huge amounts of money to get something nice. My engagement ring was my great-grandmother's wedding band. It is not a diamond solitaire. I like how understated it is (.25ct of diamonds and emeralds total). My wedding band was from my other great-grandmother, so it was also free. It also has far less than 1ct of stones. It is also understated. I am really thrilled that both rings are not a product of the continuing conflict in Africa. While conflict diamonds are banned in most Western countries, I'm very paranoid about some finding their way in to the market for clean stones. If i didn't have rings already in the family, I would have sent my husband to estate sales.

After the wedding, I spent $250 to have my bouquet preserved, and it was worth every penny. It's freeze dried and framed on my dining room wall.

$100,000...You've got to be making GBS threads me. I am almost sick over the amount of money spent on this. I am planning a wedding for this October, and I live from pay check to pay check right now. I'm glad I have my parents to help out, but I would, without a doubt, elope before letting them spend such a massive amount of money. I would be ashamed of spending so much...I'll be proud if I can say I kept it under a $1,000 (about 35 guests, dress, food, everything). I'm not criticizing you, my mind just boggles at what people find so important that they have to spend so much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stef_infection
Aug 7, 2007

pantyhose are itchy
itchy itchy itchy

chachu posted:

Right now, I have 30 guests, dress, tux, venue, minister, cake, and possibly small reception for 11 guests at a restaurant covered for about $1000. It's possible to do, but very difficult. I got a $150 dress and free minister and cheap cake; you might be a little hard pressed to find cheaper than that with food for everyone. We don't have rings, alcohol, a "real" reception, organist/music, a venue for the reception, bridesmaid dresses, anything like that.

And about the $100,000... my mind is blown. I would just buy a house and get married in Vegas.

I am a culinary major :chef: so I have hook-ups for the cake...if we decide to do a cake. I also plan on everyone coming to the reception where I will have some good ole country vittles. I know of an excellent soul food restaurant that I will be able to get a great deal on food. Also, my beau's granddad is a preacher :gonk: but at least he will be able to marry us for free (so long as he agrees before hand to say what we want and not give a sermon). I plan on having a little wine, beer, etc. but most of the people coming don't drink, so that will save a bundle. I also plan on hiring a broke college guitarist to play some nice acoustic music for most of the ceremony. I also don't like to dance or ride in limos,and I'm not big on tradition, so I don't have to worry about spending money on those types of things. Also, NO bridesmaids/maid of honor and NO wedding shower! Sometimes I like being a weird homebody with few friends.