Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Hey folks, I'm looking for a little engagement ring buying advice.

My girlfriend and I have talked about rings and she's given me a few descriptors and sent some examples. I read through the OP and checked out a couple of the recommended sites as well as looking online at local jeweler's inventories and I haven't found very many rings that fit what she's describing. Her main thing is no big diamond sticking out in the middle, she wants something that won't get caught on stuff. I know she likes yellow or matte gold rings and she said she thinks champagne diamonds are cool (I'm not sure what the difference is).

She sent me this link to a bunch of Jennie Kwon rings and said she loved pretty much all of these. Is there anywhere else I can look for similar types of designs? Also I google searched Jennie Kwon and couldn't really find many reviews or other information apart from their sales page and some pinterest links. If I get one of these rings am I essentially sending thousands of dollars to some instagrammer or is this a legit site to buy a ring from? And what do I do about insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Thanks people, this is all very helpful. Especially the adjectives to use in searching, I managed to find a few more rings that fit the aesthetic she's looking for. I did look at various return policies, and most online retailers are basically "sales final". Which is a little nerve racking when I'm looking at spending a few thousand dollars. We talked it over a bit more and I think we are going to go to a jeweler and get her ring size double checked and look at some rings together. Then I'll either go back on my own or pick something from one of these sites and just pull the trigger. Hoping to get this wrapped up in time to propose by New Years!

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Just to throw an update out there: I ended up taking her to a jeweler in town. We showed up and they asked us a ton of questions (a lot we hadn't even thought of) and showed some pictures of rings we thought we liked. Then my gf stepped outside while I had a quick discussion about timing and budget. From there they sent me about 14 rough sketches of ideas they had based on our conversations, I made a couple of adjustments to one that I thought would be perfect and then they went to work! I wound up going into the store one more time to pick out the center diamond and eventually to pick up the final product.

And it worked out perfectly! The whole process took maybe 3-4 weeks and actually came in a little under the budget I gave them. She loves it, (she said yes, proposed on New Year's) and holy poo poo now we're getting married!

Also I thought there would be a little reprieve between the stress of finding a ring, proposing etc and then getting started with wedding planning but obviously I was completely wrong. We were engaged NYE and today are putting down the deposit on our wedding venue sooo things are moving! The date is in 2022 so hopefully far enough away from covid concerns that we can have a nice wedding with all our family and friends.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Yeah I'd say my main take away that I'd share with anyone else starting out this process is just to include your partner in it.

Anywho we got engaged 22 days ago and we already have locked in our venue, caterer, DJ and officiant. So we're done now right?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Wow, so wedding planning is the absolute worst. Not the actual planning part, that's fine. Just the people involved, namely my future in laws. My fiancee has a large family including a lot of adult cousins who in turn have children that are also adults. One of these adult-children was over the other day and started crying because he wasn't invited to the wedding so she said ok you and your brother can come. Which I was fine with, I have met these two and I like them. But then her mother got word of this and has raised a huge shitstorm because if they're invited then all the rest of the cousins' adult children need to be invited. Which is like 12 more people. People I've never met, that my financee hasn't seen in years, and who probably don't actually care if they're invited or not. Now this morning her father calls and says that grandma is crying because we invited two of those kids and not all of them. It's unbelievable how petty these people are.

And that's not even all of it, she's already kicked out two of her bridesmaids (who are also cousins) because of how lovely they were being. At this point I just want to forfeit the deposits and go elope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Anyone got any insight/advice on suits for groom/groomsmen? Trying to figure it all out online is a little overwhelming but I also can't stand Men's Wearhouse and looking at a Jos A Bank in my area they have terrible reviews specifically for dealing with wedding stuff. I'm not opposed to setting up a consultation or something somewhere just not sure where to go.