Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Skutter posted:

Guys: If you are having trouble deciding on what to get as your wedding ring, get tungsten carbide. We got my fiancee an awesome band for only $100. The same size in gold was $800 and white gold was $700 (IIRC). Doing that will probably help shave off some money in the budget so you can use it for other things.

A big thing to know about tungsten and titanium is that they can not be resized later on in life. I was looking at titanium rings untill I found out that at some point I would have to stop wearing my wedding band.

Just something to think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Infinite Might posted:

I'll get to my question though. My question is, How many guys actually wear wedding rings?

My partner doesn't want to wear one because he simply doesn't wear jewelry, which I am okay with. My father never wore a wedding ring because of his trade (didn't want to get shocked). I am just curious as to how common it is to not wear one.

Edit: Question 2. Does anyone know the origin of the diamonds from here? http://www.diamond.com/

My step dad HATES rings, so mom got him a wedding watch. Its kind of dorky imho but they both think it was a good compromise.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
So the fiance and I have decided to move our wedding from next summer to the end of this August. And the best part is she doesn't get back into the country for another week. So we get to find a place, and a person to perform the ceremony in 7 weeks...should be fun.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

squirrellypoo posted:

a-HA! I knew there was a wedding thread in here, but with search down I couldn't find it...

You're welcome...I kept it book marked and wondered why no one was posting in this thread.

Thankfully my soon to be wife has the mind set of "I want to be married and if things for the wedding are not absolutely perfect so what" :woop:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
ih8ualot fyi don't worry about how much the ring costs or how big the diamond is. When I took my fiance ring shopping we where going to get a sapphire or ruby or something along those lines. Because they are a good deal cheaper then diamonds. But she ended up choosing a solitaire diamond ring with a .11 ct. diamond in it. So basically what I am trying to say is don't let the price/size bother you. If your giving it to her she will love it.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
On the whole booze issue my fiance and I are just not having any at the reception. Most of her family doesn't drink and my family could care less.

On the plus side the last weekend we got the following done: 1) bought my ring, 2) bought her dress, 3) did our gift registries, 4) planned most of what we are serving. We should have a location this weekn so we can give people as much notice as we can about the wedding. WEEEE 2 months to plan a wedding from start to finish :suicide: .

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

zap actionsdower! posted:

Is there a guideline for how to allot the budget? We're having a small non-traditional wedding, probably with ceremony and reception at the same location, and a dessert + drinks (with limited bar) reception. Probably.

I found a dress today that I love. But it is almost a quarter of our overall budget. Is that absolutely ridiculous? I'm considering just buying the dress on my own and keeping it separate from the budget that my parents are contributing, because my mom would have a fit over how much it costs.

The fiance and I have a few things where we are using part of the wedding budget and part of our money to pay for (my suit, hotel/food for bachlor party). Something like that might make the costs not such a big shock to the system.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Weeee....one month till D-day. At least the only thing we have to get are a hotel room for the night before and after the wedding. :woop:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
7 months is more then enough time. I am getting married on the 30th on this month and we planned the whole thing in less then 3 months. You might not be able to get everything you want for the wedding/reception but if you are flexable you can get it done.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
kick rear end....grats dude

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
So the wedding went very,very well. I will post the link to the pictures when we get it set up.
The only problem we had the whole weekend was the restaurant for the rehearsal dinner didn't hold our room for as long as they said they would. So there were 4 small group in the private dinner area. But all in all it went great.

For the honeymoon we will be going to Chicago in October for a 3 nights of ska shows and nice dinners, so we are looking forward to that.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
here is the link to my wedding pictures. It went very well and the wife and I are glad it's over.

http://gs247.photobucket.com/groups/gg149/60Z1JVC47H/

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Fire In The Disco posted:

Yes-- chill out, and accept into your heart the realization that there is no such thing as a big event that goes off completely and utterly without a hitch. Really internalize it; it'll make it easier for you to roll with the punches when the hitch does occur, and still be a gracious and happy bride.

This right here is great advice. We had 5 weeks to plan our wedding (my wife got a job at a christian school and we didnt want to pay 2 rents while living a mile appart), never mind the fact that the wife was in Mexico for the first of those weeks AND had to get ready for her first teaching job at the same time. We had a few little things go wrong but in the end it really doesn't even matter.

I will state looking back I am really, really glad we got married how and when we did. The thought of my wife/her family having an entire year (we had planned on getting married last month) to get worked up about everything would be very :sucide: inducing.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Lackadaisical posted:

I figured this would be the best place to post this.

I was talking with a friend recently about whats a good age to get married and how long you should date before you do. I'm a romantic at heart that thinks its fine to tie the knot young but they think that you should be over 30 before even considering it. I also don't think it matters how long you date before doing it.

How long did everyone in here date before getting engaged and how old are you?

We dated for almost 3 years. We had planned on being engaged for about a year and a half, but if you will read my last post you will that didn't happen. I was 24, she was 23 and just graduated from college (wife graduated, did month trip to mexico for Girl scouts, got a job, and got married in the span of 3 months).

edit: Oh and we will have been married for 1 year on the 30th

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

jackpot posted:

For God's sake, would someone please give me ideas on what to get my best man as a gift? In the past I've received everything from flasks and pint glasses, to cigar cutters and money clips - I'm not looking for anything wild, just something slightly memorable. It's not that I'm against buying from Things Remembered, but goddamn does it seem like a cliche.

Because my 2 groomsmen where broke and we only had 1 month to plan our wedding we got them their ties for the wedding (colors where black and white) :( . I would have gotten them something more cool/interesting but yay 1 month to plan.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Bacteriophage posted:

This is just something I've been throwing around in my head for awhile and need a neutral party's opinion.

So I'm pretty sure my boyfriend is ~*the one*~ and I want to spend the rest of my life with him and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual. We've been together for close to two years and have been living together for a large portion of that time (both of our leases to our past apartments happened to run out at the same time so we thought we'd just move in together and see how that went).

Right now we're just waiting for him to graduate next winter and get his PhD. There's almost a 100% chance we're going to have to move out of state for whatever job he wants (and I'll concede here, I know he's going to be the one with the better job PhD trumps a BS hah). I'm perfectly willing to move wherever he wants but lately I've been thinking, is it weird that I want to be either engaged or married before I'd move out of state with him? It's not that I want to use it as some bartering chip or a false sense of security that he'll have to stay with me if we move, I just think it seems like a logical step in our relationship.

Honestly we've never really talked about marriage yet and I have no idea how to bring up this topic. On one hand I don't want to rush anything but on the other all of our friends and family live pretty close to us, so if we did want to do anything, we're running out of time to plan it (wouldn't want a wedding anyway, just maybe a post signing stuff at the courthouse party, and right now we actually have a good hook up for free food and photography, don't know if these friends will be here in a few years so it's like a perfect storm of a very cheap but nice party, again logical thinking here). Ugh I just don't know how to approach this or if I should just wait and let things fall as they may.

Am I just being marriage crazy or is this something normal to think about?

You are not crazy for wanting to get married closer to home...but you are your bf are going to have to talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
I am big on telling as few people as you can to get the job done...I don't trust people to keep their mouths shut about important stuff. I asked my Father in Law if it was cool, gave her mom a heads up, and my mom a heads up. I had hoped to do it out of the blue but no one had a clue what my wife liked...hell my wife didn't even know what she liked. At one point all I had to go on was no diamonds, not too tall, not a solitaire setting, and a whole lot of "I don't know what I like". So my plans got smashed and we had to go shopping together.

She ended up picking these 2 pieces and they look like a perfect set.

Engagement ring (well close enough)
wedding band

No other rings even came close, so I didn't even get to surprise her by picking 1 from a few different rings :(. So to get her back I purposed while we where playing a round of frisbee golf instead of at the nice restaurant we where eating at the next night to celebrate our anniversary...she is still pisssed at me about it :).