Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!
My cousin got married on the beach at Depoe Bay (OR) the November before last. Against all odds, it was gorgeous. She may have used up all the weather karma for the area. :) It was a small wedding, so we all stayed at the Sylvia Beach Hotel, where every room is themed to a different author- my sister and I got the Poe room, complete with pendulum over the bed. So I can only recommend the area but yeah... weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!
Hi all, I've been lurking in here because a bunch of my friends are getting married (I'm a bridesmaid for one, but only one, luckily) and it helps me have interesting things to say to them, e.g. passing on the IndieBride-type links. First off, thanks so much to everyone who's posted here- it's been really helpful to see into the process!

The real reason I'm posting: my boyfriend and I are at that not officially engaged but planning to get married stage. The name change thing has come up in conversation and neither of us can figure out what to do. I had always assumed I would never change my name, because I was planning on going into academia, publishing, blah blah. That idea has been abandoned... but I really like my name! There's a lot of identity bound up in it, my own and familial, and I don't want to change it. Hyphenation isn't an option because his last name is already hyphenated and, at 15 characters long, it's already about as long as my whole name and doesn't fit into forms. He's already making a career for himself, so asking him to change to my name doesn't really make any sense, and if I won't do it, why should he?

Then there's the question of what you do when you have kids- whose last name do they get? If they get his, but I'm the one picking them up from school, does that cause problems? We had briefly discussed taking each others' last names as middle names, but that doesn't seem all that helpful. So, can anyone offer a suggestion that makes sense? We're in the US, and neither of us knows anybody in the same situation who didn't automatically go to the man's last name. Thanks!

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!
Add me to the list of engaged people! We made it official on the 13th, right before my fiancee (isn't that a weird word?) went back across the country for his last year of law school. Don't ask if we know when the wedding is, because we haven't even picked a year yet.

The stones are sapphire, handed down in his family, and the setting is white gold; we picked it out together. It nearly wasn't done in time because the stone setter person (?) was sent the wrong setting, which is so my life it's not even funny.

Now, a question- a male friend of ours is in the midst of ring shopping with his girlfriend. He's concerned about wedding bands because he's allergic to pretty much all metals. I thought I saw a post about wooden rings a few years back, but I can't find it. Does anybody have suggestions for a durable non-metal ring material? Thanks!

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

Several people posted:

Nice complements and good ring suggestions

Thank you everyone! The friend is more the fiance's friend than mine, so I've passed your ideas on to be passed on to him (pretend you can read that sentence). I wasn't clear on whether he can't wear any metals or has just had a bad experience with a watch in the past, so I'm especially suggesting surgical steel and titanium. I worry about how shatter-prone ceramic might be, but if I happen across really durable ceramic I'll let you know.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

BadSamaritan posted:

I think that due to the number of people travelling, as well as the holiday weekend, that we do actually have to send out save the day cards sooner rather than later- has anyone tried http://www.weddingpaperdivas.com/ ? Their stuff looks pretty, and is affordable enough, I'm just worried about getting them online.

For what it's worth, I used to work for that company (I was on the TinyPrints half). That was at the end of 2008, and lots could have changed since then, but at that point it was a great place to work and they really did care as much about customer satisfaction as the website says they do. (And they've survived the economy so far, that's got to be worth something) I am a proofreading type, not a design type, but I always thought the paper they were using was really nice. They tended to have good coupons too...

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!
Our wedding is in July (for the record, we'll have been engaged just shy of two years at that point) and we're making progress: we have a venue, catering, photographer, rings, and are working on the cake. So, now the hard part.

Anybody have any advice on/stories about choosing an officiant?

We're both agnostic, or maybe irreligious would be a better way of putting it, so we aren't looking for a minister. If we were, my uncle is a minister, so that would make life easier (although I don't have a strong relationship with him), as my mother keeps reminding me. We don't have any friends who are internet-ordained, and that's not a road we want to go down right now, although we'll see where we are in three months I guess. So, did you just hit the google and start calling people, or is there a secret to this? Neither of us has been to many weddings, and all the ones we have been to have been more traditional Christian ceremonies, so we're not even sure what to look for.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!
A thought on DIY invitations:

If you're like me, you have ideas on fonts and colors but no idea where to start on picking a design or, even worse, doing anything that resembles drawing. I didn't want to send plain blocks of text, so I went to a craft store and bought scrapbooking paper. Mine has light green ferns on it. I'm going to print the information onto it in a contrasting dark color and glue those sheets onto a nice matching card stock. Instant design.

It won't look like this at all but this is the kind of effect I'm going for: http://www.weddingpaperdivas.com/product/2208/signature_ecru_wedding_invitations_tropical_tryst.html#color/01/pid/2208

I am working on them right now so if this turns out to be an utter disaster, I'll let you know.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

Tigntink posted:

Our lovely Pacific NW Weather

Have you checked out any state parks? I'm across the Sound from you, so I'm not here with a specific place in hand, but that could be a good lower-cost option and a lot of them either have a building available or will let you do tents/pavilions.

We're having ours here: http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selectedpark=Kitsap%20Memorial at the end of July, and part of the reason we picked it is the Log Hall - if the weather really sucks, there's enough space to have everyone inside.

Here's a list of WA state park day-use sites: http://www.parks.wa.gov/dayuseplaces/

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

Tigntink posted:

I've actually just put St. Edwards State Park http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selectedpark=Saint%20Edward on my list. It has a shut down catholic monastery on its grounds and an indoor dance hall area. $1000 a day
......His whole family lives on the Kitsap Peninsula and I like to make them come over to the "scary, crime filled" side of the water (their words).

Ooh, I thought about looking at that one, but since we live over here and so do both sets of parents, not dealing with the ferry made sense.

Based on that quote, I find your family-in-law greatly entertaining.

I hope it's sunny for you soon! We got lucky with the weather the first day we set out for venue scouting, and one of my photos of the view from Kitsap Memorial State Park is now the photo-side of our response postcards.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

Tigntink posted:

Hopefully 2013 is an el nino year.

Ill definitely have to remember to bring my camera. I wasn't even thinking about postcards for rsvps.

I love the postcards - I'm not an artist or a terribly good photographer, but I think they came out really well. I just ran watercolor paper through my deskjet and then ran it again for the "coming? great! tell us all your food allergies" side. I made our invitations too, flat cards with another sheet of paper glued on, didn't use inner envelopes, and was able to use one 44 cent stamp on each invitation with room to spare.

The only issue I'm having with the postcards is with friends telling me yes, they're coming, but they can't send the response card back yet because they're using it as a bookmark.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

1up posted:

I'm having the same problems with postcards. I sent them prestamped and everything, but only 5 out of 60 replied with postcards, the rest either contacted us/our family or had to be hunted down for a response.

I sent ours prestamped, too, so the envelope question hasn't been a problem for us. Only one has come back to us in an envelope, and that was because my great aunt can't come and sent us a card with the response card. One person said he'd lost the card. Another friend has hers magneted (let's just pretend that's a word) to her whiteboard with "SEND THIS!!" written above it. I suspect that would've happened no matter what format the card was, and since I see her for Dungeons & Dragons every week, it doesn't really matter.

Our RSVP by date is June 1, so I'll let you know if there's an increase in postcard-related stupidity!

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

dopaMEAN posted:

Our colors are bright blue, white, and orange. I already bought some hanging lanterns, 5 in each of those colors. I want to find some lights to go in them though- all the websites selling battery-operated hanging lantern lights online look kinda shady.

I don't know what kind of brightness you're looking for, but you could look at LED candles. I used them in our centerpieces and they looked quite cool. Many colors, some are submersible (Floralytes, I think they're called), you can get them from Amazon.com. I got flickering LED candles at a craft store, too. I've heard some horror stories about people planning their decorations with real candles and finding out the day of that the venue doesn't allow them. Like I said, don't know your brightness needs - these were definitely decoration/accent lights, not main light sources.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

Kitten Kisses posted:

Save the dates and RSVP cards can also be done as postcards. You can get custom printed postcards for pretty cheap and postage on them is Only like thirty cents, which will save you some additional money.

I did this, and it worked out well. I printed my own postcards on watercolor paper. I used a view from the venue (looking out over the Puget Sound from the state park where we had it) on the picture side and then printed the M_________ lines and "tell us if you're a vegetarian!" spaces on the message side. I'm still ridiculously proud of how they turned out, being not an artistic person generally.

Insanity follows...
Then, when I got them back, I logged the responses in my Giant Wedding Spreadsheet and made the cards into chains of paper hearts (similar to this: http://www.bedifferentactnormal.com/2012/01/heart-paper-chain-garland-valentines.html) because I didn't want to just recycle them, or put them in a box and haul them around for the rest of my life. We hung them around the reception area and they helped break up the dark walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

...Attendant gifts-- I'm planning on paying for all of my bridesmaids to get their hair/makeup/nails done professionally. Would this be a sufficient gift (it'll probably come out to ~$100/maid) or do I need to get them a physical present too? Or is it expected that I pay for their hair and makeup? None of my bridesmaids are girly-girls and all the bridesmaid gift suggestions online are gag-inducing to them. No one wants a rhinestone encrusted tote bag or other poo poo like that. (I also have an ulterior motive for paying for professional hair and makeup, one of my bridesmaids has, uh, questionable taste in makeup palettes. I'd rather not have a maid in neon green eye shadow with bright blue mascara.)...

I also think this is a fantastic idea - I've been on the receiving end and it was just so nice to not have to stress about scheduling my own stuff before I had to be at the venue. That, and I almost never wear makeup, so I don't really know what I'm doing. It turned out to be a nice chance for the bride and us two bridesmaids to have a little time sitting around together relaxing before the photographer, family, guests, etc. arrived and the day really got under way.