Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cranberry juice
Feb 15, 2008
Just like what Gravitee suggested....

Back when my parents got married, they also had family all over the place. They had a small wedding where they lived, which was in Hawaii, and then had a reception in California where my dad's family is, and another one in the east coast where my mother's family is. I think if you let everyone involved know the logistics, you can work it out. For example, telling the family in the US they are not obligated to cross the Atlantic for your ceremony but that you want to have a reception later in Ohio or South Carolina.

Don't fret too much about it. Plus, in two years they dollar will hopefully recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cranberry juice
Feb 15, 2008

quepasa18 posted:

My wedding dress was two sizes bigger than what I normally wear. My best friend's wedding dress was 3 sizes bigger. I think that's fairly standard.

You'd think it's be the opposite, so brides would feel good about being in a "smaller" size.

I think they keep them large, because it's easier for a tailor to size down the dress to fit who ever buys it. I remember my (really tiny) friend saying she tried all her dresses on with binder clips in the back, to get a realistic idea of what they would look like.

cranberry juice
Feb 15, 2008
This Hawaii dude rules. A lot of that stuff seems pretty off-the-wall, but the beach photographs look really great. (And I'm saying this as someone who was born and raised in Hawaii). I am guessing he's on Oahu, but I can't find anywhere on his site where he mentions that besides "don't get married at Waikiki".

cranberry juice
Feb 15, 2008
I went to a wedding in Minneapolis where they clinked glasses to get the bride and groom to kiss, and it was the first time I've heard of the tradition. I was told it's a midwest thing, but then at some other weddings in Chicago, it never happened (maybe because the Chicago ones were really ritzy affairs?). I too thought that clinking your glass was a way to get everyone quiet b/c you were standing up to give a speech.

Also, What is the "dollar dance"?

cranberry juice
Feb 15, 2008

treat posted:

I know this isn't exactly on on topic, but I figure who better to ask than newlyweds/those who have been married. One of my closest friends is having a true blue American wedding on Saturday and I'm trying to think of a gift that'll actually be useful for the couple. The catch is this:

He's in the army, fresh out of basic training, so they're obviously not going to be living together, or even around each other more than a handful of times a year.

Because of this I thought give them something temporary. I was thinking a $20 bottle of Cabernet, which I think is modestly romantic without being innappropriate.

The problem there is that she's only 19 and comes from an incredibly conservative family who've never taken kindly to her drinking, so understandably I'm a little nervous about getting them alcohol - no matter its intended purpose. I come from a background where drinking underage is absolutely fine - wedding or not, so I'm a little off target with this one.

As newlyweds, what kind of gifts do you hitched goons think they'd enjoy/find useful during long separations? Walkie Talkies? Would a bottle of wine be inappropriate as a gift at a white bread American wedding? Should I just play it safe with that one?

You could get them a nice bottle of wine that will age well, and tell them they can save it and drink it on their 5th or 10th anniversary. Or, you can tell the conservative family that story and tell your friends to drink it when they find an appropriate moment. For my friends' wedding, I gave them a pricey, well-rated bottle of wine that they could drink in ten years, and they really loved the gift.

cranberry juice
Feb 15, 2008
Does anyone know if this veil has a specific name? Do you think I could find something like this on etsy?
http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/photo/150872

cranberry juice fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cranberry juice
Feb 15, 2008

Fromage D Enfer posted:

I don't know if I am missing something, but that looks like a fairly standard elbow-length veil to me. You could definitely find a seller on Etsy, but they are pretty easy to make too.

Alright, I figured there might be some specific name for a veil that poofs up on the top like that, as opposed to one that is attached to the back of your head. I'll try some general searches for "Poof" and see what I can find. Thanks!