Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Daily Dose
Mar 4, 2008
SO I've been checking out this thread for the last year and a half and I'm happy to say our wedding is coming up in a month now.

We wanted to do things different so at first we decided on a destination wedding in Mexico with just close friends and family. Well, some people couldn't swing the cost of travel these days so we decided to wing it and figure something out here.

We decided on a pool party at a clubhouse where my sister owns a condo. the rental fee is ridiculously cheap. We;re having our favorite Mexican restaurant cater and grill for the guests. We got a couple bartenders we know to sling drinks and some DJ friends to DJ.

Then it came to the invitation. Daaaamn those things are expensive!

Until now.

$230 + postage and I came up with this...

DVD Wedding Invitation DVD Insert Front/Back:

DVD:

Postcard response card:
(Front)

(Back)

Postage is cheap for postcards so I thought it would save money and be a cool alternative.

Info card:

We packaged all these together with the response card and info card inside the DVD case.

This is what they saw...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0qizvwCVWo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Daily Dose
Mar 4, 2008
To defend ourselves...

We are tacky.

We are cheesy.

We do have foul mouths.

We're 30 so except for a few cousins, we won't have anyone there under 25. (Except for our's and other people's "shorties")

We don't drink but the promise of an open bar to those that do is great.

We were never in a frat or sorority. Can't stand that poo poo.

We love Lost. Hurley is fat, Libby isn't. It wasn't meant to represent our love. It was meant to show a fat guy and a normal chick.

The graphic design is an unfinished copy that I had on my laptop when posting this. it's also the first time I've ever even attempted graphic design.

The logo on the cover and response card used to just be a P and M which all of my friends and family know and recognize as my signature on paintings and other various creations since the fourth grade. Adding a K into it for Katie was something that really flattered her and our families and friends found very touching. To someone who doesn't know us I'm sure it does look like a bad CD cover. For us it's a way to join the two of us.

We come from families where having fun and not taking things so seriously is important. Because of this we chose friends who share the same type of outlook and humor. If you're the type of person who wouldn't enjoy this, chances are we wouldn't be friends and therefore wouldn't be invited to the wedding.

Absolutely no one in our family or people we work with were alienated. From old aunts to grandmothers and bosses, they all either called or emailed to comment on how much they liked it. My mom took it to work to show to all her coworkers. My grandma showed her friends. My fiance's boss asked if I could make a video for her daughter's invitation. A caterer saw the video at her friend's house and asked for a copy to show her clients and asked if I could make things similar for them. Our cake maker asked to put the video on her website. Our coordinator wants several copies to give to clients.

It was never our intention to appeal to strangers. It was something that was distinctly "us" that we and the people we love would get and appreciate. Putting it up here was an attempt to show something different that can be done for a low cost. I wasn't advertising or asking to write your vows.

Your Daily Dose
Mar 4, 2008

KarmaCandy posted:

To me, it looks cheap and tacky and even if you use swear words in your everyday language, it doesn't mean it has to be on your wedding invitation.

It doesn't have to be on YOUR wedding invitation. Or anyone else's. But it did on OURS.

KarmaCandy posted:

The black looks too dark for a wedding invitation to me, combined with the moon makes it sort of look like a Halloween party which doesn't really seem to vibe with the pool party mentality that they're going for.

Again, for YOU it looks too dark.

Did you miss the part of the invitation being disguised as a DVD? Did you forget to read the song lines below the moon?

KarmaCandy posted:

I'm glad their family liked it and it's perfect for them but if you're putting it up on a site as a suggestion for other people to use then there's no reason those people can't comment on it and give input to other people considering using their ideas.

Comment all you want. Tell me you hate it and want to burn our house down. I NEVER said other people should use it. I NEVER said to use our design, our video, our words. It's OUR example for OUR wedding. People can do whatever they want to do. The content isn't what it was put up for. The concept was what I wanted to share.

KarmaCandy posted:

I think using words like "suck" and "crap" in your wedding invite is not a good one and I'm sticking to that.

Most people probably share this opinion. We don't.

Enjoy your wedding.

______

Emilar, the youtube link shows what's on the DVD. It's a shoddily done trailer for a fake movie.