Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've been engaged for two years and can't imagine being able to afford any sort of "traditional" wedding for at least another five. :( Very frustrating how expensive it all is.

On a more positive note, here is where I proposed (Whistler, BC, on the deck of a nice restaurant)

Click here for the full 1554x1061 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

After three years of engagement we finally settled on July, 2010 to get married. I'll be 30 years old. woo

Are weddings usually on a Saturday?

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 19, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

We went to a wedding fair yesterday and it made me go from the calm collected one to the "oh poo poo we're getting married" one and vice versa.

We were talking about a really small wedding, like 10 guests each, and yesterday I heard her inviting her friend's parents. wtf

Also yesterday she was looking at venues and found a place that she likes in Burnaby, which I didn't like at all. Getting married in Burnaby for us would be like a couple living in Manhattan getting married in New Jersey.

sigh

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LittleCat posted:

Burnaby isn't the Jersey of the Lower Mainland, and do you have some sort of giant stick up your rear end or something? Christ.

I was going to give you friendly advice, but instead I'll just suggest that maybe you should learn to talk to your fiance about your wedding plans. I hear communication is an important part of marriage or some poo poo, but what do I know.

Thanks for the useless reply. I'm sorry you live in Burnaby and I hurt your feelings but it is not exactly an ideal wedding spot.

I am talking to my fiance. Please don't respond unless you have something useful to contribute.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: nm

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 19, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally secured a venue.

Second floor curvy glass area:

Pretty decent views too:

(my pics)

Brand new high end hotel, 60x60 foot room with unobstructed Pacific Ocean/city skyline views. Price for wedding and reception? $1225. Not bad?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

vanessa posted:

We won't be doing a garter toss or a bouquet toss. At this point, no one knows but I can easily imagine the drama this will cause. Eh, it's our wedding and we get to choose which archaic and sexist elements we include or don't include.

(I will be playing the Chicken Dance, if only because group dances are the only dances everyone in my family gets up for!!)

We've also nixed the garter and bouquet toss, but only because everyone is either already married or written off the idea of marriage and would get depressed at the idea that they're next in line.

We'll be 30 years old ourselves though, so our whole group is getting up there.

I will kill myself before dancing anything other than a slow dance.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 29, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I couldn't believe the cost of men's wedding bands when we looked yesterday. At least a couple thousand for gold, just because of the size of my sausages (12?).

I went with sterling silver with a 2mm by 1cm strip of 18k gold that looks good either centered or off-center. Simple but unique and timeless all at the same time.

Fiancee's getting a custom made white gold w/ diamond one to match her custom made engagement ring and it still costs less than mine.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

AnnaBanana posted:

Although my current boyfriend and I aren't planning on getting married, we've discussed differences in marriage customs. He is an Iranian Baha'i, and they do an engagement period of 3 months. Is this in any way enough time to plan a wedding? I've read parts of the thread, and all of my friends who are/were engaged do it for at least a year so all the planning goes well.

Ours is being comfortably organized in under four months, though we did get a planner to help us. Two months left now and basically music and a few small details need to get done (40 person secular wedding in a hotel).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My fiancee is having high tea at the oldest hotel in town for her bachelorette party and is thrilled about it. Here:

I don't even know what high tea is.

Got our wedding bands today. :3: Custom made by a family friend; turned out better than expected (was a bit worried by the rough drafts of hers). They even re-coated her engagement ring for free.

I've been wearing my ring off and on today and smiling like a goofball. Does that make me gay?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is it somewhat normal for the bride's guests to outnumber the groom's? Being a typical goon, and due to things like a limited budget/40 people max capacity at our venue/shyness, I only invited 10 people. She was going to do the same, but not so surprisingly we now have 39 guests. Even with less than two weeks to go she's still adding people.

I figured my male friends couldn't care less about weddings, so why not let my fiancee invite everyone she wants even if it makes me look, well, goony.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Masonity posted:

Too late now, but it might have made sense to make a list of 20 people each.

You said a lot of words but didn't really say why 20 people each is more important than inviting people who actually want to attend.

But that's ok, what's done is done and I was just curious how common it is. I like her friends too, so that helps.

Music was no issue for us since we found 90+ songs that we both liked with ease. The DJ had a great excel spreadsheet with 2,000+ songs and links to the youtubes for each song.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 6, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So um, what if you didn't plan to have dancing, then at the last minute got a DJ and a dancefloor, and now everyone expects you to have a first dance, and you are white as gently caress and can't dance if your life depends on it, and your wedding is in 10 days?

What do I dooooooooooooo

I was thinking 7th grade style slowdance with the DJ getting everyone to bumrush the floor after the most painful 30 seconds of my life?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just found out, with a week to go, that a farking orchestra is going to be playing at 7:30pm on the oceanfront, about 100 yards from our venue. Right when speeches were supposed to start.

This could get interesting. :ohdear: At least we're inside, but it's just a glass wall. gulp

On the bright side, the area will be buzzing with people and they're bringing in Korean warships, submarines and a 90 year old steam engine boat for the event.

edit: They're having tours of the Korean ships all day, meaning huge crowds, meaning we can't take photos on the pier that we set our whole wedding around. :( I am really sad about this.

Second edit: The event organizer said the orchestra will be rehearsing right through our ceremony for a couple hours. This could be disastrous. :(

All I can say is do serious research about your venue and surrounding area. All this preparation and money spent on a planner and we still let something huge fall through the cracks.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 12, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Well, the outdoor orchestra may or may not be an issue, but the venue sure is kissing our rear end for not being aware of it. Our hotel room has been upgraded to the 9th floor penthouse suite, complete with private 40x40 foot terrace, and our entire wedding guest list gets free underground parking (normally $10 per car).

It's not even their fault. I love our venue.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

All that worrying for nothing. The wedding was pretty much perfect - besides a lackluster DJ that played Justin Bieber about five times. A few pics:

Standing on tables is fun.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Awesome Kristin posted:

So I've been trying not to worry to much about my wedding and reception which is in three weeks. But I guess subconsciously I am more worried than I think. I keep having dreams (not scary enough to be nightmares) where stuff goes horribly wrong.

Is this normal? lol

I did this, expected several horribly embarrassing moments throughout the evening (couldn't even watch the wedding episodes of The Office since it made me too jittery), and my veteran wedding planner said at the end of the night it was the smoothest-running wedding she's ever experienced.

Everything goes by in such a blur you have no time to dwell on anything anyway.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My father in law enjoyed our wedding so much he's volunteering to pay the entire balance. :3: That's an extra $5,000 that we thought we were on the hook for.

Thanks dad. :)

Pro tip: invite your father in law's friends that he doesn't see often enough as a surprise. He is still talking about how cool it was two weeks later.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My jeweller re-coated my wife's engagement ring for free when we bought the wedding band without even asking. I'm sure there are good deals online but I'd recommend a good old fashioned mom and pop place over online any day. Especially if you're the type that fluctuates in weight a lot, like me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

For us there was no argument about taking last names. It's just part of marriage and shouldn't be taken as a submissive thing by women.

The only guy I remember who had a hyphenated name growing up was a guy named Dale Begg-Smith... you may know him as the evil spam-empire millionaire and heroic multi-Olympic gold medalist snowboarder. Obviously the dual name helped create dual personalities.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have a Swedish friend who changed to his wife's last name since his was so generic in Sweden (Persson) that he actually welcomed having something a little bit different. The new name sounds nicer IMO.

It made my eyebrow raise a bit when he told me, since I had never heard of anyone doing that, but I totally respected him for it. Especially since my name is incredibly generic in Scandinavia as well.

If last name was Shart or something, I'd consider it myself.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Whitey Ford posted:

The deal has been done, the knot tied etc.

Congratulations, city skyline wedding buddy.

That cake is pretty amazing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got our pro photos.

Click here for the full 720x478 image.

Click here for the full 478x720 image.

So many more great ones but I won't bore you all. Like most people we were really waffling on getting a pro photographer, and it cost a fortune, but we don't regret it for a second.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 2, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Petrichor! posted:

Ooh, I recognize where this is :D

Congrats! And beautiful photos of the two of you :)

E: Looks like a small ceremony! How many people did you have there?

I think it was 45 total? It was a small room so that was the max. I was aiming for closer to 20. :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zaftig posted:

I got legal-married yesterday. I was going to keep it under wraps so that the conservative family won't think my wedding in 6 days is less important, but it was outed on Facebook by my friends.

Why are you having two weddings within a week?

I like the second photo. :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Juniper posted:

Our wedding is in July (for the record, we'll have been engaged just shy of two years at that point) and we're making progress: we have a venue, catering, photographer, rings, and are working on the cake. So, now the hard part.

Anybody have any advice on/stories about choosing an officiant?

We're both agnostic, or maybe irreligious would be a better way of putting it, so we aren't looking for a minister. If we were, my uncle is a minister, so that would make life easier (although I don't have a strong relationship with him), as my mother keeps reminding me. We don't have any friends who are internet-ordained, and that's not a road we want to go down right now, although we'll see where we are in three months I guess. So, did you just hit the google and start calling people, or is there a secret to this? Neither of us has been to many weddings, and all the ones we have been to have been more traditional Christian ceremonies, so we're not even sure what to look for.

I don't know where you live, but my court-appointed officiant said she was prevented by law about saying anything religious during the ceremony (BC, Canada). Which was fine by us since we're both atheist. We were able to have free in-home consultations with any of the officiants that were available and we chose the second one we met... it was an easy process. And they only charge $75. We threw in an extra $100 cash tip because that is ridiculously low.

I had never been to a secular wedding before my own and it went great. Quick ceremony and on to the reception/fun stuff. Even most religious people don't want to sit around and listen to some guy go on for hours.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

We simply said "please no guests under 19 years of age" (legal drinking age) for our wedding and everyone obliged with the exception of one couple when their babysitter bailed last second (the mother was our emcee). But her kids were so cute they stole the show and totally well behaved. I didn't even notice them until after the ceremony.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There was some talk about a pre-nup for us (she's going to inherit a shitload more than I am) but we found out we were already "married" in the eyes of the (British Columbian) law by living together for more than a year.

I was willing to sign, but she never pushed for it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Boats posted:

I have a question about invitations for engaged or already married goons.

Would it be tacky to send electronic invitations/save the dates? I had a conversation months ago with my ex-boss who is engaged, and I said if I ever get married I would send electronic invites to save money on stamps, and because hell, everyone will eventually throw them out anyway. Why pay money for nice cards, envelopes, and stamps? She thought is was cheap and tacky. I think it's more modern and convenient.

We did e-mail/website invites and it was a non-issue, even with our less tech savvy relatives. And we got 100% RSVP rate, complete with meal choice etc.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 17, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The DJ company I hired claimed to allow us to choose songs, they even had a fancy online list where we could select each song we wanted, but then the DJ just played whatever he wanted - which for some reason was a lot of Justin Bieber.

It was pretty much the only thing that didn't go right at our wedding.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

New Weave Wendy posted:

Haha, the exact same thing happened to us with our DJ. Ours even had us select "must play" songs which he promised to play during the reception, and just didn't play several of them. I chalked it up to us having non-top 40 music preferences but come on! I'm writing you the check, can't our taste in music trump everyone else's just for this one day? :)

When we realized it (which to be fair wasn't until a few days later) it really bothered us too because we are music nerds... but it's a small bone to pick when basically everything else ran smoothly.

Our tastes were very top 40 but the company specialized in bar mitzvahs and apparently didn't want to switch from their usual playlist.

I kinda wish I didn't bother with dancing. My side of the family was too uptight/German to dance so we ended up with a small group of my wife's friends dancing with themselves. e.g.

(that kid stole the show)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I never even thought about photographer copyright until this moment and gave permission for a hotel (our venue) to use our photo when they asked. Oops.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

How angry do parents get if you just secretly get married in the night? I am really not in the mood for a big wedding and we can't really afford it. We could always do it for real later!

Really depends on the parents. We probably could've gotten away with it. My wife's friends would've been angrier.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nessa posted:

I'm still hoping that the rain just misses the farm. Sometimes the weather out there can be completely different from the weather in the city, since it's over an hours drive away.

Everyone was also telling me I'll be too warm to wear something over my shoulders, but at this point, it looks like I'm going to be shivering in my wedding photos.:/

I had the opposite problem - middle of summer with 100% humidity by the ocean and the AC in the brand new hotel we were in was on the fritz. Had to wipe my face several times during the ceremony. e.g.

Wife looks just fine of course.

We just celebrated four years. Time flies.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah, my mom-in-law boycotted and we were like "yesssssssssssssssss"

Our hotel was no problem for crashers/theft despite being in an urban area where a festival was happening and multiple entry points. e.g. second floor in the back

Hotel had two security guys but they were out of sight most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was engaged for seven years and boy howdy was I sick of saying fiancée by the end. And the start. And I live in a place where French is an official language.