Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Goon from the catering side willing to answer questions about that. I do serving, so I'm mostly familiar with the 1,000,000 things that can make a wedding reception a nightmare for the guests.

Some things to keep in mind...

The place I work at is high fallutin'. Berkley Plaza in New Jersey. I can remember doing a wedding where most of the male guests were from the NJ Jets. I really don't know what the total cost of a reception here is, but I can gather that it's pretty high (50k appears to be a low figure).

I'm not too much into the food side of things, since I do very little of the cooking (I do garnishes from time to time). The reality is that you want to go with the basic package. You'll get more consistent quality and it will be easier on the chefs. The only other thing I can recommend is going for buffet style. Better variety for guests who want it, and tends to be drastically cheaper.

The most important advice I have is to relax. Our weddings are typically 200ish people. Something invariably goes wrong. It's a very complex business back in the kitchen and on the floor, so eventually some cog creaks or cracks. Let us handle it. We're professionals, and our main skill is damage control. When weddings go bad, it's 90% the bride (or bride's mother) freaking out. The wedding is about you and your spouse, not about some perfect execution. It's not the Olympics. Gay male couples (I've never done a lesbian wedding) tend to be really good about just enjoying themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU