Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Posted this in the wrong place earlier today and someone pointed me toward this thread. I need to buy an engagement ring, and I have no idea what in the blue hell I'm doing.

Question One: my girlfriend is traditional-minded and has made it clear that she wants a diamond, but I resent the hell out of the diamond industry for reasons which everyone here is undoubtedly 100% familiar with. I've been looking into Canadian diamonds as a semi-compromise, and I've found that BrilliantEarth is quite expensive. Blue Nile is (somewhat) less so but still seems legit; anyone here happen to know if they're reputable?

Question two: I know basically jack poo poo about diamonds in general but I'm operating under the assumption that stuff like clarity and color don't really make much difference to the appearance of the diamond unless you are an expert jewelry person using one of those jeweler magnifier monocles, and that you can therefore make compromises on those (to a point -- let's say "Good" cut, VS2 clarity, and I color as a baseline?) to bring down the price a little while still getting a decent-sized rock. Am I being naive, or talking out of my rear end, or some other word for being stupid, and will this policy get me stuck with an ugly ring?

Question three: Based on this chart I found on good old Honest Internet I've gotten the impression that anything under .75 carats or so is Too Small. Is that a good rule of thumb or am I throwing too much of my money away on making sure the shiny rock I'm purchasing is slightly larger than other shiny rocks?

Basically I'm attempting to spend vast quantities of money to purchase a grossly overpriced trinket in order to enact a major life-changing decision, and due to the gravity of the latter and my own crippling neurosis I'm overthinking and generally freaking out over the former. send help pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah I'm thinking a lot of my questions w/r/t color could be answered pretty well by just going and looking at some rings. Are jewelry stores usually okay with people making "research" trips? Is the tint of, say, an I-color diamond visible to a casual observer if you're using a white gold band?

Thanks for the tips, everyone -- I'm emphasizing cut in my searches right now, and am trying to make up the difference on other stuff (current baselines are SI1 quality and I color). Found a decent rock on Blue Nile; looking around at a couple other places online before I go doing anything rash, hopefully with better-quality images.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Whatever you do

don't buy something like this http://imgur.com/LpW0RTY

I kind of want to get a set of four of those and put together some Engagement Brass Knuckles :allears:

I found a link somewhere to James Allen, which has really high-quality images of their diamonds, and I've found a couple really good-value ones there too, but there's not really source info, as opposed to Blue Nile which let me shop exclusively for Canadian diamonds. If nothing else, getting a good idea of what an H-, I-, or J-color diamond looks like was a lot easier to do with James Allen as a resource.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Thanks for all your help, guys -- I ended up going with an ideal, .75-carat, H-color, SI1 Canadian diamond from Blue Nile. Stoked for it to arrive :)

I'll keep those tips in mind RE local jewelers when it comes time to buy wedding bands (knock wood cross fingers etc)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So, I'm looking into suit rentals for me and my groom party. My fiancee has asked that I make sure the suits are all exactly the same color, so I probably have to have them coordinate getting suits from the same place. One of my groomsmen lives in Denver and one in San Francisco (you can infer from my avatar that those places are far away from me), though, so I have to go with a large chain of some sort -- for comparison my fiancee's bridesmaid dresses came from David's Bridal for the same reason.

Men's Wearhouse's rental website seems to be a huge pain in the rear end, though, and it's really doing its best to avoid letting me see how much anything costs. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nationwide suit-rental chain?

I guess I could just have them buy suits and MW would be fine for that but my best man is p broke right now so I'd rather not

e: I really like some of the stuff at Menguin but it's all made of friggin' wool and that sounds like a terrible idea considering the wedding is in friggin' August

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So uh I wrote my vows a couple days ago, and I'm overthinking them and could use a second opinion. I feel weird asking my parents or my groomsmen about something like this (in my mom's case because she's too sentimental and close to us to be able to give me any useful feedback IMO); is this the kind of thing people might post ITT, or failing that who that is actually involved in the wedding should I ask? The officiant, maybe? Is this part of their job?

Also we're two and a half weeks out from the wedding and a few RSVP deadbeats have just now gotten around to confirming to us that they won't be attending (some family drama played into this). We had a "B-list" written up of people we would sent invitations out to if enough of our first wave of invites came back negative, but our first wave dragged their feet so long that an invitation sent out now would be really short notice. I've been an obvious B-list invitee before and my reaction has always been "hooray I get to go to this wedding after all", but the Conventional Wisdom appears to be that B-listing people at all is insensitive. My primary B-list people are old college roommates that I haven't been in as close touch with in the last few years as others, and I felt really bad about leaving them off the initial list; should I invite them now or is it likely that would read as insincere or rubbing salt in the wound or whatever?