Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I hate to ask this, but what do I do if I don't like my engagement ring? I told him not to spend a ton of money and I knew I wasn't getting a real stone, but the stone he went with is way too large and it looks tacky. Should I be honest or just roll with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

testifeye posted:

I don't think there's one right answer to your question. There are probably cultural norms around gift giving and marriage that might influence what you choose to do.

If I were in your shoes, I would think it makes sense to be honest with my partner and tell him that the ring isn't right for me. Why start off this new chapter of my life feeling like I can't be myself, or say what I think? Why wear a representation of our relationship that doesn't feel right to me?

On the other hand, my relationship isn't summed up by some melted metal with stones sticking in it; it doesn't matter to me what the ring looks like at all. Maybe I know my partner and it's not worth hurting his feelings to get a ring I "want."

You could weigh both sides of things, but ultimately, I think it makes sense to do what feels right to YOU in the context of YOUR marriage.

I have given it some more thought, and I realized that I am just happy that we are getting married, and I think my admission would hurt his feelings, and I don't want that.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Holy poo poo, the ring from that reddit post is hideous. My man and I spoke last night, and it turns out his plan was to buy fancy wedding bands instead of blowing his wad on the engagement ring, and we are going to shop for those together.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Can anyone walk me through the name change process? I am in Oregon, if that helps. I thought that the way it works is I put the new name I want on the marriage license, but then when I went online to fill out the marriage license form it said the name I put down must match the name on my ID. Any advice would be appreciated, I don't want to screw this up.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Thanks for the name change advice, everyone! That all sounds like a total pain in the butt.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Well...I got my new Social Security card in the mail today, and they misspelled my middle name. It is supposed to be Elizabeth, and they spelled it on the card Elizebeth.
Jesus. Going to the SS office was a huge pain in the rear end in the first place and I am not eager to repeat the experience, so should I just accept that as my new middle name? As long as what I get on my new driver's license matches, it shouldn't create any problems in the future, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Feral Integral posted:

Where can I find sub $500 moissanite engagement rings? poo poo in the op is all like mad expensive

I found mine on overstock.com. It’s lab grown but I get a lot of compliments on it. Doesn’t matter to me if it’s real or not :)