Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

OssiansFolly posted:

We had a long time friend of my fiancé give us $1,000 this past Christmas as an early wedding gift. We had a 2 year engagement and he said he had been putting $100 away each month for us for the past year. We were REALLY shocked and felt really guilty taking the money since they just had a baby, but they insisted (and his parents were super overjoyed for a kid and bought everything for their new baby). I don't expect to even get $20 and a card from most of my friends so this was surely a shock.

drat, sounds like I need better friends.

Is it written in the rulebook that you send thank-you cards to vendors or other people that you hired to help get your wedding put together? My wife and I were really happy with how everything turned out but I'm not sure if the fact that we paid the photographer, entertainment etc. and thanked them at the wedding is enough gratitude. I did want to at least send a card to our planner from the caterer, since she was super into the whole thing but ended up not being able to make the wedding. We will probably send cards to our vendors anyway but I wanted to see if this is required or us going above and beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

This is bullshit, if you got gifts for every person you were "supposed" to get gifts for you'd be broke before you knew it. We got gifts for our bridal party and that's it and to my knowledge no one else got upset for not getting gifts.

We got gifts for the people that threw our wedding shower, but A) It was my mom's close friend who we've known for 20 years, B) She did way more than she needed to, and C) They were relatively cheap gifts. Honestly if we hadn't given them gifts, I think my mom would have been more upset than her friend would have, she has very entrenched standards on gratitude etiquette.

As for gifts as a whole, on top of giving our bridesmaids/groomsmen gifts my wife got two extra bridesmaids gifts for the moms and I got two extra groomsmen gifts for the dads. I was told this was more than we needed to do but they were all a big help in pulling our wedding together, and they weren't so expensive that four extra gifts really hurt our budget.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Congratulations! That shot in the trees looks really cool.

In other news ugghhhh the guy in charge of our music for the reception is on me about the 95% rating I gave him on Wedding Wire and it just rubs me wrong :negative: Maybe if your singing was a little more in tune I would have given you the full 100%, but when my father in law (who doesn't even speak English) can tell you're out of tune, then I definitely can. The worst part is that I'm willing to bump the score up because who cares (and admittedly they were great with just about everything else) but the review seems to be locked in. Does anyone know how to edit reviews on Wedding Wire or should I just stop stressing about it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there an appropriate window within which you have to send thank you cards? Our wedding was August 22nd, and our cards probably won't go out until the end of this month as we want to put one of our wedding pictures on them, BUT we won't have the nice digital proofs for a couple weeks.

Also, thank you cards for everyone, or only people who gave gifts?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
One of my groomsmen told me the week of my wedding that if he didn't get offered a job after an interview he was doing that day, he couldn't afford to fly out for our wedding (he and his wife had just moved halfway across the country and he was struggling to find work), but fortunately he did get the offer. Less dire was that one of my wife's bridesmaids had the brilliant idea of taking the train from where she lived to our wedding on the day of the wedding, with a window of error of only a couple of hours (and on a train line notorious for delays). Again, that fortunately worked out.

In the back of our minds though, we knew that these two might have been problems, so I made sure my dad had a matching tuxedo in case he had to pinch-hit, and likewise my wife made sure her mom had the same color dress as her bridesmaids. Though if they both hadn't been able to make it we actually would have been fine! :haw:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

All you folks spending 15-20k or more on weddings, are y'all just...going into debt for this stuff?

Not judging, I'm just curious. I can't imagine coming up with 10k grand in a year to blow on a one day party, let alone double or triple that (factoring in a honeymoon and whatever else).

Our wedding budget was about $15k that was split in three between my wife, myself, and my parents (we're doing a second ceremony for my wife's family overseas and her parents are covering that entirely). We ended up needing to borrow a little under $5k to take care of everything but fortunately my parents had just made a bunch of money off of selling rental property and offered to lend us what we needed, which we plan to pay back ASAP but hey at least it's interest free. Also complicating things was the fact that we moved for my wife's job about three months before the wedding, which cost us at least $5k if not more (not to mention I was out of work for six weeks as a result).

At the same time, it was the most fun I've ever had and even a month later my mom still has people telling her it was the best wedding they've ever been to and blah blah blah, so it was worth it. Plus my wife has a master plan lined out to be making six figures by the time she's 30, so if we're still in debt then she can just polish that off for us :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yes, definitely get your marriage license before the actual ceremony. Be sure to look up well in advance the requirements and restrictions for said license too, for example in Michigan where my wife and I got married we had to use the license within 30 days of receiving, and also because we were out-of-state residents we had to use it in the city where we obtained it. Also ask about any exceptions that might help you out; there was normally a 3-day waiting period between applying for and receiving our license, but for an additional fee we were able to get ours same-day. Pretty handy when we weren't able to get into town until ~36 hours before our ceremony.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
^^We're doing a wedding in Thailand next year for my wife's family and we got a quote at $4-5k for the whole thing. Sure her parents are paying for it anyway, but I was pretty surprised to see that number the first time.

Chessna posted:

Did you guys do anything in particular to make it fun, or was it more the people? I love our scenic outdoor venue, but I'm a little worried that people are going to leave after dinner because there won't be much of a party atmosphere since it's outside. We are getting a big dance floor and a DJ, but there probably won't be special lighting. I was thinking of getting some LEDs to put around the dance floor, but it won't be the same as being in an inside venue specifically made for weddings/parties.

Honestly, not really. Our main goals in planning the whole thing was to have a simple wedding, to make sure people had a good time, and for drama to be kept at an absolute minimum. Our wedding & reception were held in a botanical garden and we also lucked out with both the weather and the state of the gardens, as the cocktail hour between the ceremony and dinner allowed for people to walk about and enjoy the grounds. Also most of the guests were family or friends of my parents, so of course they're going to tell my mom to her face that it was the best wedding ever :v:

It might be too late for you, but as far as making sure people had a reason to stay we actually had a split in our musical lineup. For the reception, dinner, and first dances we had a little jazz trio that was kind enough to play on the patio that was the main hub of the reception, then move inside for dinner. Once they left and people were drunk enough, we had actually rented a jukebox and loaded it up with songs and told people to go to town (an idea that my parents used at their own wedding). It gets people more involved with dancing since they can pick the songs themselves. If you're planning a wedding and haven't planned the music part it's worth looking into, it was a huge hit.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 1, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ilysespieces posted:

Today's the day, been up since 5:30am getting ready (I'd rather sit and wait all ready than rush, which apparently is an unheard of thing to ~some~ family members). So excited!

Hey congrats, I have an old buddy of mine from HS that's getting married today too. You wouldn't happen to be in the Bay Area and have a giant ginger beard (or an almost-husband with one), would you?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Any guides or equipment recommendations for keeping wedding & engagement rings clean?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Loud Mouse posted:

I definitely recommend taking it somewhere. Ultra sonic cleaners can cause diamonds and other gems to come loose or fall out, especially if used too frequently. While pretty much all jewelry stores use ultra sonic cleaners, they are probably going to be better at making sure things aren't in there longer than they have to be, and since try can be out of the way help cut down on how often you are exposing your rings to it. Also, the cleaners they use will be much better (and better regulated) than what you can get at home. Bonus if you can find a jeweler that will polish and steam your rings when they clean them.

We actually have been taking it a local jeweler who's been doing it for free, but I was wondering if there was a good in-home solution so that I don't have to keep making trips out there (we like our rings to be immaculate, so much so that we don't keep them on 100% of the time). Also because it's a pain in the rear end to get there but they just opened up a store near my workplace so I guess I will just go there. Thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

tom kite posted:

Is it bad form to ask for contributions from guests to a honeymoon fund instead of gifts? Fiancee and I have absolutely no use for in kind gifts via a registry so she wants to set up a gofundme type site for the honeymoon, but I have this impression its bad manners.

Do it! One of my two actual regrets from my wedding is doing an actual gift registry instead of a fund for a house/honeymoon/other large couples purchase. I got married a little over two years ago and I'd say about half of our wedding presents are still in their original boxes. The things that we did open are pretty sweet (like the Zojirushi rice maker our MOH got us) but we have a bunch of plate sets and crap like that which were relegated to "next time we move we'll donate our old stuff and replace it with present stuff", and then we moved and said "we'll open these when we buy our own place" lol

A friend of mine recently got married and one of her gift requests was to donate to a fund so that they could buy a new mattress. I wish we had thought of that!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 22, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Any good suggestions for groomsmen gifts? I'm trying to avoid the cliche of personalized wallets/cufflinks/flasks/etc but drawing a blank on alternatives. I thought about buying my groomsmen each a SNES classic (there's only 3 of them so it wouldn't break the bank) but finding the actual items is a bit tough at the moment.

I had gotten big into wet shaving a year or so before I got married and put together custom shaving kits for my groomsmen, with razor/brush/soap etc. all handpicked by me. It was cheap enough that I even had the budget to put them together for my dad and now-father-in-law. Of the five people that entailed, I don't think any of them actually used their kit :lol: I also made sure my best man got laid after my wedding, which is a way better gift IMO

I like the idea of taking them out for a good shave and haircut before the wedding, I got pitched on a package like that but it was in the city where I was living at the time, which was several hundred miles from where the wedding was held.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Not entirely sure where this question should go but I'll start here - my wife's wedding rings have likely been lost in a tragic hotel cleaning mix-up. I purchased them 8-9 years ago from a national-scale jeweler here in the US and still have the receipt, and while I took out a cleaning and insurance policy on it at the time it has almost certainly lapsed by now. Even if they're not going to replace it, what are the odds that they can tell me how it was designed based on the aforementioned paperwork so that we can recreate it as best as possible?