Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hm the jewelry thread seems to be archived so I guess I will post in here?? Sorry if this is off topic

How wide (in mm) are the gems used in jewelry, engagement rings or otherwise? I usually cut bigass gems because they rule but I suppose I should make something that is actually usable in size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Invalid Octopus posted:

Here's a carat-to-mm size conversion chart for diamonds, and the average size is about 1 carat I think. I had my guy go for moissanite but still kept it to about a carat because anything bigger looked garish on my size 4.5 finger, lol.

Less than two months to go for me! I'm excited, and also looking forward to not having stress dreams about seating arrangements and stationery anymore. RSVPs are due in two weeks and it'll be good to have that set.

Thanks! Looks like I should be sticking in the 5-7mm range then. Guessing things like earrings and bracelets might be around there too. I wonder if I should try to stick to regular sizes or if a decent jeweler can handle a weird 6.73mm gem.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a recommended minimum gem hardness for a ring that won’t be worn on the hand often, or can I feel safe with something like a 7 or 8?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not sure at the setting right now, since my hobby is cutting gems the current plan is to hand over a small bag of gems to a jeweler and ask if they can make a ring from a few of them :v: This is pretty far in the future but its good to start keeping an eye out for raw materials.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

Is custom moissanite a thing that would work here?

Found this site https://www.moissanitebridal.com/how-to-design-a-custom-moissanite-engagemen

Dunno how reputable they are but maybe they can help you out.

Ive heard from gemcutters that getting their hands on moissanite is actually really tough and that it cuts kind of weirdly. If you're super married to that idea I'd suggest getting into contact with facetors directly (like Claes!) for the gem and then getting a ring custom made from a jeweler. I wouldn't expect any "big" retailers to be able to do it tbh

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What do you like about opals? Awesome synthetic gems with unique optical properties are more common nowadays so you could consider something there. Scarodactyl in the jewelery thread actually has an Etsy shop specializing in synthetics if you want someone to poke about specifics. His shop is TurtlesHoard, you probably want something with a mohs hardness of 7 at minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Acaila posted:

It was the opals I was less fussed about in that design - I like the alexandrite (it seems a good cheaper alternative to sapphire which is my favourite stone), and I like the contrast of having something different in the middle, but the opals are a little meh and don't seem to be hard enough for everyday wear. Will have a look at the etsy store though, it's been fun to look up some cool designers recently!

Yeah! Just so you know that store specializes in loose gems rather than jewelry, Scarodactyl can get his hands on some really neat research/science gems that I honestly havent seen anywhere else at all. Also in general alexandrite is way more expensive than sapphires, if you see it going for less than sapphire it's probably synthetic (still expensive) or a simulant (less expensive) or some edge case where they've got a really fancy natural sapphire. Synthetic sapphires are quite common now too though and should be very price efficient!

I will shill synthetics till the end of time because goddamn its the same drat rock but you know exactly where it came from and it comes in nicer colors to boot :argh:

Xun fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 5, 2023