Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?
I'm getting married in June with about 50 guests, and I think, including the engagement ring, it's going to end up costing about $19-$20k:

$5300 Engagement ring
$1700 Wedding band (groom)
$ 900 Wedding band (bride)
$1400 Bridal gown/shoes/etc
$ 150 Park reservation
$ 400 Officiant fee
$ 600 Photographer fee
$ 400 Invitations
$ 150 Chairs/tables/etc rental
$ 900 Flowers/decorations/etc
$6000 Reception (space/food/booze)
$1000 Travel/misc expenses in planning the wedding
------
$18000 So far

TBD: Tux Rental, Hotel Reservation, Bride's cosmetics/hair/etc.

My parents are paying for the reception, and I'm paying for the rest. I used about $4000 in savings, and have used a line of credit for the remaining $8-$10k which I'll pay off over the next 2-3 years.

The rings are expensive, but quite nice. We decided that they're really the one part of our wedding that is going to be with us every day for the rest of our lives, so we definitely didn't want to skimp on that.

They're all platinum since my fiancee hates yellow gold, and white gold is kind of cheap and not very durable comparatively. She also hates diamonds, so it's a ~3ct deep blue sapphire that we purchased from an awesome family-run colored gem shop in the LA jewelery district. The ring is also an interesting design wherein the wedding band can be worn separately, or it will fit inside the engagement ring. I don't have the photos on hand right now, but the ring looks basically like this (from the jewler's site):

Except our sapphire is oval-cut and darker. This photo shows a band inside the ring, but the engagement ring can be worn alone and the part around the finger looks like two rails with a space between them.

The bands look like this:

Edit: Also, we're delaying our honeymoon for probably about a year so that I can accumulate enough vacation time at my new job to actually be able to take one. So I have no idea what that will cost yet.

Smackbilly fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

HelpingFriendlyBook posted:

Can you tell me more about your reception? What was the per-head breakdown? How long was the event? was it at night, on a saturday, during a peak time?

edit: just saw that it was 50 people, sorry.

It hasn't happened yet, but the plans are:

- 40 to 50 people
- Saturday evening
- No explicitly specified time span (6pm to whenever/closing time)

It's at a nice restaurant in a private room, but it's not a hall with a dance floor and a D.J. or anything. The plus side is that people get high-end restaurant food instead of mediocre catered stuff.

The restaurant has group pricing minimums, and $6000 is the price for 50 people (and it decreases proportionally if you have fewer people), so about $120/person, inclusive of plenty of wine. That's actually a bit cheaper than the going rate for that restaurant if you eat there normally.