Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
We were supposed to have our reception in mid-May (still getting legally married on that day). Am I a fool for thinking that August will be okay to reschedule the big party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Tomorrow is the wedding and it still doesn’t feel real

Remind me to tell you the story of my coordinator before I had to fire her, it’s a good one
Mazel tov! I want to hear the wedding coordinator story.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Traxus IV posted:

Thank you so much guys, this has been a huge help in just getting us started. We've been feeling so lost, then the expo thing made us feel bad about not being better informed but we weren't sure where to look to learn more. There's SO MUCH out there that it all just feels overwhelming without any kind of filtering system in place. But we've got an actual plan to work through now, and I really appreciate all of the advice!
As a now-married lesbian, I can't recommend enough Offbeat Bride and - my fave - A Practical Wedding. Any kind of mainstream wedding-planning website, book, resource, paperwork, will be depressingly heteronormative and may lowkey brainwash you into believing you have to be/do that in your wedding and your relationship too. A Practical Wedding has an AMAZING vendor directory as well (we found our photographer on there!), and they're very focused on representing couples of color and queer couples in their marketing materials and the vendors they list.

Something that was really important to me in planning our wedding and also, what matters more, our marriage, was writing our vows together. I'm extremely put off by the "I promise to cherish you, always remember pizza night with you, and not completely fill the spare bedroom with Star Wars funko pops!!!! teheheh" jokey or referency modality - it feels like this serious life step is not being taken seriously by either party, and as part of the heteronormativity of it all we really had to build our own idea of what marriage meant to us from the ground up. So figuring out what we wanted to actually promise to one another, and give the moment the gravity and joy it deserved, was paramount. Offbeat Bride has many, many great sample vows and also how to design a meaningful ceremony.

Only 50% of this is logistics-related, but that was what I was missing from my planning experience at first! :)