Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I started reading this thread years ago in a dreamy hope that has now become a reality within the last couple of weeks as my other half popped the question out of nowhere.

My first couple of questions for the thread:

I'm really hooked on the idea of a meteorite ring for either engagement or wedding. I've had my eye on https://jewelrybyjohan.com/ for literally years. Any thoughts on upkeep of meteorite rings? And any thoughts on less traditional stones? There's an aquamarine and opal bezel-set meteorite ring I love, but from what I gather opal is not the best for everyday wear over a long time because it's less hard. Is aquamarine better? Any alternatives to the opal that wouldn't be too pricey?

Also, any tips for a budget wedding in the UK? (i.e. no backyard weddings possible!) I reckon the budget we could put together ourselves would be £8k, but we don't know at this point if family would offer anything towards that. Both of our family situations are best described as "complicated". Aiming for about 30-40 guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Bollock Monkey posted:

We did 75ish people at a brewery wedding for around £7k all in. Rock 'n' Roll Bride takes some sifting but is good for inspiration. I've probably posted about my wedding in here if you look at my post history. We wanted fun over tradition, and for the whole vibe to avoid that maudlin thing some weddings end up having.

We had a quick registry office legal bit, which saved a lot of money as then we didn't need to be beholden to a licensed venue. It also meant our proper vows were much more personal.

I heard recently they meteorite rusts like buggery, so do have a google around that. From my research, opal/opal-alikes are simply too soft for daily wear. I ended up with a rough diamond, which I love.

Rock n Roll Bride just came up as I was catching up on this thread so I have it bookmarked for a go through, thank you!
Will definitely research the meteorite, just ideally looking for a nice contrast to the alexandrite in something like this: https://jewelrybyjohan.com/en-gb/collections/meteorite-rings/products/meteorite-ring-opal-aquamarine-2904

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Yeah the actual wedding will need to be at a licensed venue, so the county office is the absolute cheapest, then go whereever you want for the party. It's possible to rent your local village hall for cheap, as long as you're willing to invest more time in decoration and catering.

There are a couple of quite pretty village halls I've found - I wouldn't go for our local one, but there are a couple that are converted churches with some nice arches and stained glass windows and such that are on my list. They are a bit more out of the way annoyingly. Keen on the idea of outside catering as we went to a wedding with great catering last week that is quoting £22+VAT per guest which seems pretty good?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

My first wedding was in the UK, and for the reception we booked out a large-ish pub. We paid for the meal, but it was a cash bar so the pub was making extra off that. They only charged us about £2K for 70 people (this was 13 years ago though).

Cheapest venue for the ceremony is a church if you can stomach that. But a friend of mine got married on a beach in 2001, so it must be possible. (Although, I think what they did there was to have the legal "ceremony" at the register office afterwards, but the actual ceremony for family and friends on the beach.)

Yeah seems like an outdoor ceremony still needs to be at a venue with an indoor civil ceremony licence. But you can probably still do the one weird trick described above.

https://outdoorceremonies.co.uk/the-blog/wedding-planning/new-outdoor-wedding-laws-explained

Church is actually an option - my other half does identify as Christian, but stopped attending his childhood church some years back. I don't think he wants a humanist ceremony, so it's an option, but I'd need to be convinced that it would be a welcoming environment for a queer heavy guest list.
It seems like in Scotland you can marry just about any where, but I would not take the risk of an outdoor ceremony - I don't want to invoke that karma! :D

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Xun posted:

What do you like about opals? Awesome synthetic gems with unique optical properties are more common nowadays so you could consider something there. Scarodactyl in the jewelery thread actually has an Etsy shop specializing in synthetics if you want someone to poke about specifics. His shop is TurtlesHoard, you probably want something with a mohs hardness of 7 at minimum.

It was the opals I was less fussed about in that design - I like the alexandrite (it seems a good cheaper alternative to sapphire which is my favourite stone), and I like the contrast of having something different in the middle, but the opals are a little meh and don't seem to be hard enough for everyday wear. Will have a look at the etsy store though, it's been fun to look up some cool designers recently!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Maybe try this website to look for a queer-friendly church (if you end up going that way):

https://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_church/

Another thing about getting married in a church is that there's usually a fairly defined script for the ceremony, so on the one hand you may not have much freedom over that, but on the other hand not designing your own ceremony could save you a lot of extra stress.

Thanks! The only one within an hour looks beautiful and is one I know has a great track record, but it's £1000 to get married there - yikes! The two churches it's showing me are both Episcopal, so that seems to be a thing in common and might be worth seeing if there are some more local ones, though I think if my other half wanted to get married in church, it would probably be his childhood church I'm guessing.
Still, it's given us something to discuss so thank you! :)