Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
On the engaged express!

Click here for the full 808x591 image.

I'm so in love with my ring, I didn't think I would be so fixated on how awesome it is, but here I am posting pictures on the internet.
Its aquamarines + diamonds set in palladium, which I had never heard of before my ring. Its really worth looking into for an engagement ring, it's pretty much the same as platinum without the cost. Making my ring with palladium cut the cost in half as opposed to platinum, and I still get all the benefits of platinum.

The only downside is having to explain what palladium is to people that ask
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium

Wikipedia posted:

Palladium itself has been used as a precious metal in jewelry since 1939, as an alternative to platinum or white gold. This is due to its naturally white properties, giving it no need for rhodium plating. It is slightly whiter, much lighter and about 12% harder than platinum.

I don't want a ceremony, but we are throwing a party, in the country my family lives in but I don't. Planning is a bit of a nightmare, and my mother is going crazy picking out doilies, but whatever, honestly the party is mostly for my family. I'm really worried it'll be a snorefest, I don't know what you do at a wedding. My friends had the reception at an aquarium which was really fun, but every other wedding has been incredibly boring.

But I am determined to get a dress!
This one is great and what I was going for!
Where is it from, if I may ask?

amethystbliss posted:

I love this type of dress, just maybe a little shorter

Poofy tea length 50's style dresses are so gorgeous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran

WolfensteinBag posted:

Also, congrats Tatiana!! Your ring is freakin' amazing! What do you mean by you don't want a ceremony, like all the hoopla with all your guests and possibly a church? Like, getting married at the courthouse instead?

Thanks everyone for the feedback on my ring!

Well the situation is that I live in Australia, and my family is spread out in Puerto Rico and the United States.

His family lives in Western Australia and can't afford and is too terrified of air travel.
My family is also terrified of a 20+ hour flight, so having one get together wont happen. We are pretty private people, so we are going to do the courthouse thing in Australia by ourselves, then when we see our respective families we are having get togethers. We feel a bit silly going through 2 redundant ceremonies, so we're sticking with 2 parties :)

I'm pretty disappointed our families wont be meeting, but what can you do.

amethystbliss:
Yeah thats a bit out of my price range, but drat it's nice.
I've seen some nice vintage numbers but the waist is usually a hair too small, and I'm pretty lazy about losing anymore weight.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran

amethystbliss posted:

awesomeness

You know, I think you have linked to that site before, and somehow I missed it was an Aussie based site! Thanks :)

I think I need to lower my expectations for a dress, since I'm pretty allergic to spending money. I really had to be talked into my engagement ring ;)

Here is where my mother wants to have the reception
http://www.amherstwc.org/3.html
I'm already half regretting telling her to go ahead with it, the idea of spending so much money is really hurting my cheap, cheap heart. At least that place is pretty enough that we wont need to decorate much.

RE: WaiChing
I love love love her dresses. They are so beautiful and unique, and if I was having a complete dream wedding I would ache for one.

Quantum Consignment:

My ring was about US$60 to size down from a size 7 to a 6. It has a pretty detailed band as well. But it was done at the place that made it, and it wasn't yellow gold.
I don't think you have anything to lose by getting estimates at a couple places, just explain you're shopping around.

Good luck, I love the idea of an heirloom ring, how old is it?

If you want to be super ghetto, you can always wrap tape around the bottom ;)

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran

GoreJess posted:

Okay....the pricing on that venue is awesome. The house is gorgeous & the veranda out back is amazing as well. A party thrown there would be very intimate & classy. I think your mom has really good taste.

Yeah it's a great place! It's right next to my old high school and I used to drive by it everyday and think how nice it looked. I'm happy that it speaks for itself and doesn't need anything extra. The smaller rooms will make it more intimate as well, since we don't really like big crowds. We are thinking of just doing appetizers, but we can't really do any dancing or anything (not that we want to!), so I don't know what people will do. The grand piano is great and I can get my fiance to perform, and he's planning on writing some things for me to sing as well.

Like I said, I'm just allergic to spending ANY money. It's hard to get out of the poverty stricken student mindset.

deltat:
But how picky is she? I imagine if she's only found one thing she's liked then she probably is pretty specific :) Why not get a plain, silver one so she can help you pick out another one later? Or maybe get a silver version of the white gold ring you want?
CagedLiberty's fiance's approach of picking some rings out you like to show her later is what we did. Although we had a mutual engagement, my fiance was the one who found my ring and showed it to me. I liked to have input on it since it's the nicest thing I own and I too, am very picky.

I think that ring you picked out is a bit overpriced, but pretty.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
Amethystbliss, gorgeous dress and location. I think it would loo incredibly romantic in the snow.

Clyemne, I love fascinators type veils. Really nice pictures :) Also I'm having serious shoe envy!

zap actionsdower! that's a great story, what awesome luck.

I'm loving paranoid about losing my ring. It's slightly too big (I normally wear a 6 and this is a 6 1/4), but I think a little leeway is probably good in the long run (looking into those ring sizing things posted before, thanks for the link!). I'm thinking that if I engraved our names it might make it harder to steal/pawn/identify or whatever. I wish I could microchip it like my dog.

We secured the venue for March, so we just need to work out the details now. :)
Still need to figure out what the hell to do during a reception. We're not having a ceremony and thus no wedding party, and we live in another country, so no one can really tell cute stories about our courting or anything. My mom wants me to do a slideshow about our life in Australia but man, that sounds boring.

We're going to be leaving for Japan the week after for more schooling, so we need to find a tasteful way to tell people not to buy us any giant crystal bowls or blenders and give us a check instead.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
Wow ring explosion.

That flower ring is the coolest and most unique thing I've ever seen.

I finally found a dress!
It was on sale marked down from 450$ AU to 80$AU.

It's cream, which isn't what I thought I would get, but I really wanted a 50's cocktail length poofy dress. Cream looks nice with my skin colour, but it's a bit too wedding for me (we are already married, and just having a delayed reception with family/friends). I was thinking of a sash, or an obi. Do you guys think it would go well with my dress? (crappy pic attached)

Also, I have NO idea how to accessorize!

Open toed, close toed, blah I have no idea where to start. I think I'll ask the megathread ladies over at W&W, but any help is appreciated.

How did you guys make sure that people had fun at your reception? We're going to have spanish guitar music, my husband is playing the piano and we're doing a small powerpoint to talk about our life in Australia and why we're moving to Japan for a year. It still seems...blah. I really want to do something unique but am having a tough time thinking up ideas. I thought about a karaoke machine, but it wouldn't work with our venue :(

I feel like this reception is no longer about what I want, and I'm trying to get control. My mom sent out invitations without asking me who I wanted, or asking me to OK the invitations, so as of now I'm pretty concerned.

I'm thinking I might make a Katamari cake topper to regain control over this poo poo.
I really thought I avoided this drama by eloping :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran

Santclair posted:

My parents had a classical guitarist too, and their processional was a gorgeous arrangement of Wachet Auf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyWOIKCtjiw&feature=related

Imagine that on a guitar instead of a trumpet and you've got the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ8czdx_AOM&feature=related

there it is on guitar. It rocks.

ooh Im having one too! :)

I finally got some favours made!

plus

plus some rocks equals

They still need tags, but they turned out pretty well and economical :)

And ditto on Michaels, we get a 40% off coupon in pretty much every paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
It went by too fast

Anyone in the western mass area should consider holding their reception at the Amherst Woman's club. Having an event in a historic house = no such thing as a bad picture.

Boy was it sad taking off my dress.. I want to wear a red crinoline under everything :3: