Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Acaila posted:

Also, any tips for a budget wedding in the UK? (i.e. no backyard weddings possible!) I reckon the budget we could put together ourselves would be £8k, but we don't know at this point if family would offer anything towards that. Both of our family situations are best described as "complicated". Aiming for about 30-40 guests.

My first wedding was in the UK, and for the reception we booked out a large-ish pub. We paid for the meal, but it was a cash bar so the pub was making extra off that. They only charged us about £2K for 70 people (this was 13 years ago though).

Cheapest venue for the ceremony is a church if you can stomach that. But a friend of mine got married on a beach in 2001, so it must be possible. (Although, I think what they did there was to have the legal "ceremony" at the register office afterwards, but the actual ceremony for family and friends on the beach.)

Yeah seems like an outdoor ceremony still needs to be at a venue with an indoor civil ceremony licence. But you can probably still do the one weird trick described above.

https://outdoorceremonies.co.uk/the-blog/wedding-planning/new-outdoor-wedding-laws-explained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Acaila posted:

Rock n Roll Bride just came up as I was catching up on this thread so I have it bookmarked for a go through, thank you!
Will definitely research the meteorite, just ideally looking for a nice contrast to the alexandrite in something like this: https://jewelrybyjohan.com/en-gb/collections/meteorite-rings/products/meteorite-ring-opal-aquamarine-2904

There are a couple of quite pretty village halls I've found - I wouldn't go for our local one, but there are a couple that are converted churches with some nice arches and stained glass windows and such that are on my list. They are a bit more out of the way annoyingly. Keen on the idea of outside catering as we went to a wedding with great catering last week that is quoting £22+VAT per guest which seems pretty good?

Church is actually an option - my other half does identify as Christian, but stopped attending his childhood church some years back. I don't think he wants a humanist ceremony, so it's an option, but I'd need to be convinced that it would be a welcoming environment for a queer heavy guest list.
It seems like in Scotland you can marry just about any where, but I would not take the risk of an outdoor ceremony - I don't want to invoke that karma! :D

Maybe try this website to look for a queer-friendly church (if you end up going that way):

https://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_church/

Another thing about getting married in a church is that there's usually a fairly defined script for the ceremony, so on the one hand you may not have much freedom over that, but on the other hand not designing your own ceremony could save you a lot of extra stress.