Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

How late is too late for a wedding to start if ceremony and reception are in the same venue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hmm, okay. This venue is saying that because they have daytime events they will not be able to host a rental earlier than 5pm, and I don't yet know if setup time will cut into that as well. I don't want my guests to starve! I guess I'll have to see. Thanks!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Thanks everyone! We ended up booking a date a month later than we wanted, but we are now able to start as early in the day as we want :) that sample time line would be appreciated anyway though

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So we've found what looks like our dream venue, but it has lock-in on the caterers. We've reached out to the caterers for quotes, and they're universally at least twice our budget.

Is paying the waitstaff for a 9.5 hour day standard? Do we pay for this even if the wedding is shorter?
Is it kosher to ask for fewer waitstaff/worse food?/etc to bring the cost down?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What's a polite way to tell your family members 'the guest list is up for us to decide, not you'

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Lmao our caterer continues to show us no respect and has even tried to bully our wedding planner.

Love that vendor lock-in at our venue!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

19 o'clock posted:

gently caress that poo poo. What are they trying to pull?

'noone will like your wedding if you don't have appetizers during cocktail hour, is that really how you want your BIG DAY to go?' in addition to just treating us as suspicious for, uh, having a budget, and repeatedly getting our wedding planners name wrong. Not sure what else she's tried to pull with the planner, but we'll catch up soon

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Luckily the wedding planner is a friend of the family as well as a professional, we trust her to be a complete hardass 😅 and yeah I've worried about them just Bringing Apps Anyway, I'll keep doubles of the documentation

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hadlock posted:

I'm gonna be the guy with the unpopular opinion here but I agree with the caterer. Part of getting more business is doing a good job at your wedding. Plus pride in doing a good job etc. Snacks during cocktail hour is, if your budget allows, not a terrible idea. They've catered probably a few weddings and are speaking from experience. You do you though.

I was not exaggerating on how the message was delivered though, I truly do not need guilt trips right now

edit: lmao the caterer also did not look at our planner's email signature listing her credentials at all and instead quite rudely drilled her on them over the phone

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 7, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah I think that's the plan going forward. We struck out on our own at first but then said 'oh gently caress' and got the planner on board

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

God I'm hoping the pandemic is over by June, or at least people are allowed to travel to my wedding. We can make hand sanitizer a wedding favour

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yeah we're not making any calls one way or another quite yet but we're also not keeping our hopes very high

e: maybe canada will be more efficient at pandemic

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yeah i think our venue will be chill about a reschedule it's just the emotional anguish of telling everyone

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Well, we've made the call to postpone the wedding for a year. I'm surprised how little I feel about it right now

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

DogoDogo posted:

We are scheduled for June 27 and still debating whether we try to stick with it, push back to the fall, or push back to next year.

Hey, that was our date too! Since we're inviting people from the states and it looks like this is the start of their trouble, we chose to push it back a whole year, maybe more, we're going to watch the situation.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Curious what people think:

I'd always heard that the cake cutting was the signal to people that it's now okay to leave whenever you want, because the party might go long into the night.

However, I've just read that the proper etiquette is that the married couple must be the first ones to leave the reception, so that the guests may see them off and cheer etc.

I would want my reception to go pretty late, so is there any way to politely communicate that we're following the former model (ie not just saying 'it's cool to leave if you want now!')? Or are we just stuck leaving early to satisfy anyone who might expect the latter and would be disappointed to leave without getting to cheer for us?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

so i'm not getting married but my friend, of whom i was already maid of honour, asked me to officiate half her ceremony (technically i am not 'officiating' they got a minister for the 5m of legally-required stuff at the end but yknow) and gave me free reign to give whatever kind of speech i want, within the 5-10m range

oh god what do i say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So I'm confused about the role of the bridal party w/r/t gift giving. My understanding was the point of having a bridal party was to have staff for the wedding, our labour in setting up the wedding, keeping the party running smoothly, and throwing the bachelorette party (since family held the bridal shower) was our contribution. If anything, the couple is supposed to reimburse us some costs, such as clothing and hotel.

But I'm seeing online that each bridesmaid should give a wedding gift of about $120? It hadn't occurred to me, and the costs of the bachelorette party will be pushing my budget, should we scale back the party, or?

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 12, 2023